Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and seeing as though you said you lead engineers for a defense company, i assumed you might not be able to use your work phone and laptop for personal things. i know folks who do that sort of work, and they have to keep their work tech seperate from their personal tech. if they had the option, they'd just use the phone and computer their company supplied them.

my work laptop for instance is completely locked down. sure, i could use it at home, but then everything i browsed would be logged on my company's servers, and god forbid i want to hit facebook ever...everything like that is blocked. and parts of news sites are blocked (huge portions of ESPN are blocked as well).

so for some people, a work computer and a personal computer is just a fact...not really a choice. do i need a computer at home? no. but i want one.
At least somebody understands, I didn't try to sound arrogant or boisterous in my post. If I had the option, I'd LOVE to consolidate all my electronics. I can use my work laptop for more than just work but I CAN'T use it to access Facebook/Twitter/eBay/ESPN/etc etc. There are too many documents and schematics that need to remain secure and I can't risk accessing a social networking site (well except City-Data...I CAN do that).

My work Blackberry is also solely for work purposes- contacting my boss, fellow employees, team, etc. I don't dare use it for personal calls or text messages so I need to have a separate private cell phone. It's a PITA to have to have a double of everything, I WISH I could just have one computer and one cell phone and be done with it but alas, it just can't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service.
Well, if someone was subsidizing your food costs through Food Stamps, then you too could afford an iPhone.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I don't own an iPhone (or any cell phone for that matter), but I don't think the cost is all that outrageous considering what the device can do. And there are other options in smartphones for the cost-conscious.

Seriously, though, why all the belly-aching over how other people spend their money? I find keeping my attention on my own spending an infinitely better use of time than trying to paint those who have more than I do as irresponsible to make myself feel better.

Nobody walks around with their bank balances (or company benefits as the case may be) tatooed on their foreheads, so there's really no use in speculating about how people afford their toys.

BTW, it appears that AT&T is now offering the iPhone 3G for $49 with a two-year contract.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Whatever, a bunch of consumerist sheeple whose values are completely out of whack. You know, keeping up with the Joneses seems to NEVER go out of style.

Oh, and BTW, NJBest, why don't you try volunteering as a way to help people instead of buying crap you don't need? I work at a food bank once a week. Quantify that.
As I said, I don't have an iPhone.

I do volunteer. I spend 48 hours/month working with the red cross. I welcome you to join me in loading supplies on the ships for the poor individuals in Japan that have lost everything. I also let charities and fundraisers use my school buildings for events on the weekends.

First, you dont know what I need and what I don't. Any what the heck are we all working so hard for if we don't choose to enjoy life a little? No one said life has to suck.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's probably not an easy argument to make, but i think you hit a good point on the things like the barcode apps, and comparison shopping. i use the gasbuddy app (free app), and find the cheapest gas nearby when i need gas.

as for iphone apps vs android apps....apple store has basically all the same free apps android phones do. i have an android phone. i love it. but apple still has the edge as far as apps go.
On the frugal side though I havn't downloaded it yet I think I have heard there's some pretty cool budgeting apps where you can easily talk or key in what you buy and it breaks down what your spending your money on, cool pie charts and stuff.

Sure you could do that with penn and paper too but just seems like I'd be more likely to do it with the app.

Also, I'm new so maybe I'm wrong about this but I thought andoird had the advantage when it came to apps. I guess its newer so maybe soon they will but still playing catchup.

I just mention this b/c I noticed my gf was having to pay for a lot of her apple apps. Also, I thought someone said something to me about how apple is more strict about who they allow to build apps and just have more controls over things where as android is more open?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As I said, I don't have an iPhone.

I do volunteer. I spend 48 hours/month working with the red cross. I welcome you to join me in loading supplies on the ships for the poor individuals in Japan that have lost everything. I also let charities and fundraisers use my school buildings for events on the weekends.

First, you dont know what I need and what I don't. Any what the heck are we all working so hard for if we don't choose to enjoy life a little? No one said life has to suck.
What does you volunterring have anything to do with this conversation? lol besides you tooting your own horn. I volunteer too but I don't inject it into every convo I have.

Isn't there a bible verse about not letting your left hand know what your right is giving meaning dont toot your own horn about doing those things you should do.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here in LA it seems virtually everyone is carrying an iPhone. Many of these people I notice are also students with part time income or those that are in lower end jobs. I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service. Do you think this is just a reflection of our society living above their means?
This post reminded me of something. Back, several years ago, I was working in collections. When you would call a debtor, they would always give you some sad story about how they couldn't afford even a small payment toward the debt that was due and owing. Our trainer at the time told us that if those people were offered a chance to buy a nice car or truck for $300 or $500 they would come up with the money from "somewhere". When people want something badly enough, they find a way to pay for it, even if it means to beg, borrow and/or steal.

The same goes for iPhones. People who cannot afford a pot to **** in somehow manage to have one. Go figure. They will take food out of their children's mouth to pay for it so they look "cool".

The world is screwed up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Shucks. I own one. I work for myself. So I need a good mobile phone and oxygen in that order.

The iPhone about 10,000% better than my old Blackberry, allows me to do so much more, so much better. To me, it's become an essential business tool.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
What does you volunterring have anything to do with this conversation? lol besides you tooting your own horn. I volunteer too but I don't inject it into every convo I have.

Isn't there a bible verse about not letting your left hand know what your right is giving meaning dont toot your own horn about doing those things you should do.
You're asking the wrong person. Obviously my post was a response to Misty suggesting that I should volunteer at a food bank. So ask her.

Why would I waste my time reading the bible? I'm not into fiction or irrelevant nonfiction.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
How important is any of this REALLY? Can I not wait to get home to check my email?
I could just imagine you twenty years ago showing your AOL email program to your parents. They probably replied "can you not wait for the mail delivery to bring a letter?"

Quote:
I work at a food bank once a week. Quantify that.
What on earth are you talking about? Tell you what I'll build a bronze statue of you, perhaps posed with you gracefully clutching a ladle spooning beans out to various thin street urchins who are looking up at you with a sense of gratefulness and awe.

I don't have a smart phone (and I'm a tech guy) but sheesh I'm not going to judge people who do as consumerist sheeple. Gimme a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living