Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,629 times

Advertisements

I was taught to save, compare prices, know the difference between want and need, etc. When I was working I decided I couldn't retire if I spent all my money. Now that I'm retired my mantra is I can't stay retired if I spend all my money. Works for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 172,929 times
I have no objection to spending more money on something that will last a long time and bring real value to my life. If it was within my means, I'd have no problem dishing out a few thousand or more for an organic bed/mattress that would likely hold up until I'm dead. Since it's not within my means, I'll be grateful for what I've gotten secondhand.

As far as spending money and work...I feel it gets way out of hand. Thankfully I work from home now, but when I worked a traditional job, it seemed like every other day you were expected to spend money on something...donations for every possible cause imaginable (how about the company donate for me since they are getting a break by not paying me a living wage!!), buying people's children's stuff, buying stuff from the avon chick, and the scentsy chick, the pampered chef chick, etc etc.

Then there are "parties" for every occasion where you have to bring food in for a potluck (food that is out of your budget because your co-workers have high expectations), and you have to buy gifts for the gift exchange (so you can get some crap you don't want or need in the form of a "gift"). Then you need to buy a tshirt with the company's logo and go to corporate events...that cost money. Then they make up days like, "wear pink day!" and you have to go buy a pink shirt because you don't own one. And the baby showers, wedding showers, etc seem to force their way in and you're expected to be a part of all of those things just because it involves a coworker. And it never ends!

Also, I hate it when there is like some unspoken rule in the workplace that everyone needs to go eat lunch together at an expensive restaurant several times a month. So then you have to choose between looking like the weird, anti-social person or ruining your food budget.

Yeah, I don't miss the traditional j-o-b. lol

Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not if you stack one mattress over an old one.

No frame....perfect invitation to huge biting spiders and other crawlies to come sunggle with you as you sleep............yikes.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Kids sell these things for girl scouts, school, etc...that is supposed to be both financially supporting and character building.

The character building goes out the window when the parents do the selling for them.

I decided to refuse buying anything unless the kid came up to me and sold it herself/himself. Then I will happily do it (I never say no...lol!).

Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
(how about the company donate for me since they are getting a break by not paying me a living wage!!)

Oh I agree 100% on this one!

, buying people's children's stuff, buying stuff from the avon chick, and the scentsy chick, the pampered chef chick, etc etc.
Then there are "parties" for every occasion where you have to bring food in for a potluck and you have to buy gifts for the gift exchange. And the baby showers, wedding showers, etc seem to force their way in and you're expected to be a part of all of those things just because it involves a coworker. And it never ends!

I have no trouble with saying no. If pushed, I just reply, I am single and only have one little paycheck. Extras are not in my budget.

Also, I hate it when there is like some unspoken rule in the workplace that everyone needs to go eat lunch together at an expensive restaurant several times a month. So then you have to choose between looking like the weird, anti-social person or ruining your food budget.
I enjoy being the weird, anti-social person. In my job, there is no advancement, so I do not have to play the little corporate games.

I work for lawyers and they doubled their bonuses last year and cut out ours. Tradition has that WE (staff) buy THEM a high dollar Christmas gift. I told them my contribution to the Firm gift would only be X dollars and no higher. Since THEY had cut our bonus, why should I buy them a gift (to thank them for what?).

Old 11-27-2018, 06:30 AM

355 posts, read 390,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokegal View Post
No.

Your coworkers sell cookies to save up for their marriage and babies? That's weird. Haven't heard of that one yet.
Thanks for the laugh

Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
We're very affluent, but frugal. We're often around other affluent people who think we're a bit crazy.

You should see their faces when they see my 5 year old style flip phone I bought for $19.99.

I do my own lawn & garden work, one of the only ones in my 'hood.

I do my own pest control too, which I'm pretty sure is unique to our neighborhood.

I never take our car to a car wash, or detail place like our friends do. I do it myself.

We have not had cable TV in 6 years, and never will have it again. Antenna in attic & share a relative's pay tv account.

We have 2 TV's, 1 DVD player, 1 house, 1 car, no motorcycles, no boats, no RV's, no toys like all our friends have.

We get DVD's and books at the library...never buy them. I read the Wall Street Journal and Consumer Reports there too.

I buy some clothes at Goodwill. I use to get my haircut at beauty schools for $5 until we moved.

We seldom throw out ANY food. We only go out to eat at early bird, and not very often.

I dont buy expensive Scotch, or Whiskey, or Wine, or smoke cigars like my friends do. No golf, private clubs, or pool either.

We price shop everything, and haggle on anything over $100. Aldi's is our friend. WalMart's too expensive for food.

We buy used cars that are about 3 yrs old w/ low miles, & drive them to 150,000 mi. We gave our 2004 Toyo Highlander to our Son to take to college. We just replaced it w/ a 2015. We drive very little & combine trips.

We sell, or donate, anything we don't use or need anymore.

We seldom buy anything that is not on sale, or have a coupon for.

We shop healthcare around as a cash payer always getting 3 estimates. We make providers give us written quotes for everything before we go. We tell them we can't afford insurance. We haggle on anything over $1,000.

I dont eat meat, and eat old style Oatmeal for breakfast most days. We dont buy many beverages, just drink water & tea.

We bathe only when we need to.

We buy/sell homes by owner, or use a discount broker. Just saved $17,000 on our last home sale that way.

We never run the dishwasher, or clothes washer, unless its full. We never leave lights on.

I have/wear clothing articles that are 20 yrs old. If they're not torn, have holes, or heavily soiled/stained I wear them.

Many of these things might not sound extreme to you, but to our rich family & friends, these things are pure lunacy.

Because of living this way, I'm semi-retired at age 58. No debt. Could stop working totally tomorrow. Never made really big money. Just lived way below our means, saved, invested, and spent wisely.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:52 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
A bed-frame makes it harder for creepy-crawlies to get into your bed and snuggle-up with you. If you are utterly cheap, go to Goodwill and get the cheapo steel bed-frame for 5 bucks.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM

876 posts, read 813,002 times
How do I live in one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the US, despite being well below median income for the zip code?

Number one is that I prepare all of my own meals made from food I bought at a grocery store. NO fast food, definitely no restaurant meals.

Two - No vacations

Three - delaying dental expenses. This one's a drag. I have lost one molar and have some work I need done but am delaying until next year.

This is what I've had to do to be able to save a couple hundred monthly. I'm saving up for dental work!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM

265 posts, read 155,566 times
After years of sleeping on a matress on th e floor while in college and 10 years of sleeping on an ikea futon after--that I finally threw out because it broke -- I will never go back to not having a proper bed and a matress that costs at least 800 dollars. Of course my parents bought it for me as a house warming gift when I moved/bought an apt.. For awhile I was just sleeping on the futon mattress on the floor and no frame.

I totally hate people who make me spend money at work. Lunches out; your kids selling stuff and me buying over-priced crap I don't really want; 5 dollar jeans friday (like I'd rather just wear pants and save the 5 bucks).

I have the same ikea desk for like 10 years. I had to clean it but it is awesome. computers are hand me downs from my mom or bought used from ex-friends or bought new which hasn't been done in 10+ years. she got surplus laptops from work that needed linux to work and a new best buy monitor. My old PC is gone and was also thrown out in the move and the one i bought new 10 years ago ( i tried upgrading celeron w/ pentium and forgot the paste and zapped it.) I also recycled a lap top, an acer cheapie i bought used from a friend for 120 bucks. The charging jack didn't work. I have my mom's old apple mac now. I crazy glued the 2 keys; bought a new aple charger and cheapie ebay battery for it.

No idea on baby showers or gifts. My ex used to do all that and don't have to worry since

PS- I actually have nice furniture besides the ikea desk (which is pretty nice )and realy glad I finally got some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living