Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I like flavor soup by simmering pork bone so for a while, I used to buy cheaper pork ribs that have a high bone content (vs. meat.)
And then I'd reuse the bones 3-4 times before discarding them (or when they're out of flavor.)
Being frugal isn't ridiculous its rather smart with the price of things today. Here are a few things I do:
I reuse plastic shopping bags for bathroom waste basket liners
When I empty a spray bottle of cleaner, I rinse it out good and reuse it to spray plants or perhaps spray clothes when I iron.
I have surge protectors throughout the house that I snap off when not in use.
I wash clothes early in the morning when power is cheaper.
I drive a Toyota Scion, 2004 that is still getting 30 plus mpg
I quit smoking as cigarettes are now 10.75 a pack here in CT.
Discovered all the bells and whistles on cell phone plan not worth the $$ you pay have the bare necessities, i.e., calling out and text priviliges, don't need internet
Let my hubby do the groceries...he spends less money. LOL
Shop at second hand stores for casual clothes..cheaper by far
Have stopped tossing leftovers away..making an effort to eat them before they spoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
My husband goes to Saver's (thrift store) on Thursdays when the clothes are $1.00 and buys them then. We get all our clothes from there.
Oh man! Good memories! We used to go there all the time but moved and they aren't here. Ahh...the musty smell of the store.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Shopped for clothes at the Dollar Store.

Just kidding.
I actually bought socks at Dollar Tree.

I have also bought workout shorts at Family Dollar for $3 a pair.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I used to get the best slipper socks at the 100Yen (like a dollar store) in Japan....

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:

I was brave enough to buy $1 hair color at Dollar Tree (love that store), and then went on the internet to see if it were safe and plenty of vidoes of people who felt like me, but they tried it anyway....

My only complaint: It is thick and not much in the bottle. Getting kind of burnt out with it and go back to the Clairol $3 hair color

Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was brave enough to buy $1 hair color at Dollar Tree (love that store), and then went on the internet to see if it were safe and plenty of vidoes of people who felt like me, but they tried it anyway....

My only complaint: It is thick and not much in the bottle. Getting kind of burnt out with it and go back to the Clairol $3 hair color
Funny you post this! I just bought haircolor at DT. I haven't used it yet. I bought 2 boxes (I have thick hair) and plan to do my outgrowth only. I color my hair black, so I am not too worried. Funny thing is, I am former hairstylist! But doing my own research I am sure it will be fine as long as it covers well. Because I used to do hair, I apply my color with a bowl and brush, so I was happy to see it appeared to be thicker; that should work fine for me. Even with the ability to buy my haircolor wholesale, spending $2 is still a great deal If it works I'll buy a few more boxes.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
If I have leftover ketchup, mustard, mayo or soy sauce packets from take-out food, instead of tossing them I cut them open and squeeze them into the corresponding bottles at home.
I used a leftover Taco Johns mild sauce packet to season my homemade breakfast burrito today and thought of this thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
Quote:

I bought a Liz Claiborne sweater at the Dollar Tree for $1.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Well, looking back I'd have to say this was crazy. In my 20's I had a really good job in a nuclear power station. I lived 40 miles from work, that was crazy enough but I had rented a whole farm with a great house for $100 a month. We were pretty self suffiecient on that place. Anyway, even though I had a nice car I drove this 1962 Rambler to work for 2 years. I bought it for $50 and it was terrible. I really think I'm one of the best drivers around and I patially credit driving a car with no brakes 80 miles a day for that. It had no heat so I had to drive with an ice scraper in my right hand. It had no starter so I always parked on a hill. It always started rolling down the hill LOL. When I finally retired it to the field, it became my bush car I got a 1973 duster for $300. It was great. My car at home was a 1975 Monaco loaded with a 440 in it. I used it for family outings.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Share something "ridiculous" you've done to be frugal?
Some folks think I'm being TOO frugal by waiting at Costco to find someone with a MEMBERSHIP to buy my monthly $4.99 Rotisserie Chicken.

You think I'm gonna spend $50 bucks to buy a chicken ??? How could that be frugal ? (I don't buy gas (ICK))

50 mpg since 1976 in my $35 car... no Dinosaurs or OPEC required
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living