Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in a small condo with our dog and son. It's about 650 sq ft. I believe we could honestly live here until older son is maybe 5-6 years old, even if we had another child, but we still want to buy land and build something a little more comfortable in the long run. I'd like to be able buy land outright and then build and pay off as I go within a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Husband and I are DINKs (dual income, no kids). We bought a house we could qualify for on just one income. Was very glad we did when my husband lost his job a few years ago with no unemployment and was out of work for a year. Now we are actively saving/investing/working on paying off the house about 12 years early.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
We no longer own a house, but we had bought and sold a total of 9 houses in four decades. I can't remember the qualification vs. the actual loan, but I do know that 8 houses had mortgage payments that were less than 40% of one income, and one of the last two houses we purchased after retirement, we paid cash. We never relied on both incomes when it came to mortgage or rent. We didn't realize how wise our practice was until I decided to retired early at 47, and husband was still able to continue paying the mortgage with his sole income until his retirement 4 years later, at 54.

The money we didn't pay the bank for the mortgage was better spent on our lifelong passion: travel.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 03-17-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
Qualified for 3 times the purchase price of my first home. It was a cute 3 bedroom Cap Cod with a fenced in yard for my precious pups. The entire mortgage qualification process pushed/pushes people to believe they should buy more than they could smartly/realistically afford. I think more people get it now.... keeping up with the Jones's debt ratio to impress people who either don't notice or don't care is not worth sacrificing your precious time. Work less and enjoy more

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Every one I bought was for less than I qualified. Last one, I was able to pay off in 6 years. I only lived in it for 2, moved due to work. It was easy to rent and did a rent with option to a young couple.

I'm now renting and waiting for prices where I am to fall, which I expect they will in the next year. If not, I'll look for a project house.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times
Yes, I bought my second home so that they payment could be made with of our two incomes. My current home is small but not ultra small. I love it. It is easy to keep clean and everything is of high quality - wood floors, fixtures, paint, cabinets.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Yup. Every time. We have bought what one could afford should the other lose their income even though for many years, that was a very distant possibility. However now, I am living it. And glad that I've always been cautious and conservative in this regard.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I bought the home I wanted and it was below our means.
But price was part of the criteria.
Saw others who were house poor and wasn't falling for that.

And, btw, what you "qualify" for and what you can afford (your means) are not the same thing.
So buying less than what you qualify for isn't necessarily buying below your means.
I know what you mean here.... back when we bought, we used the 2.5 times your salary formula, and that was 150k. We pre-approved for that amount, but we could have gone higher according to bank and realtors. But we REALLY didn't feel comfortable with that.

Although, out here, I really wished we would have pushed it and gotten a house in a really good neighborhood. I would have been sitting pretty if I had -- those house values haven't crashed and burned like ours.

But on the other hand, if I had had that major increase in my house value, would have we fallen prey to the using your house like an ATM?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't get why you have to buy an expensive, fancy house if you make a lot of money.
You could take me to dinner / And you could buy me some clothes /
If you make all that money man / Make damn sure it shows

Lyle Lovett and his large band - What do you do - YouTube

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So Who bought a lower priced house when they were approved for way more?
All the homes I've lived in -- rented or owned -- were/are well below what the bank told me I could afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living