Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

My suggestion: keep on like you are doing and invest most of the extra. You will be able to either retire early or have a better retirement, or else survive a huge period of unemployment.

However, set aside some of it each month as "fun money:" Maybe 10% of it. That money gets used to enjoy life. Maybe a better vacation, or maybe stuff like a good camera, or clothes, or electronics.

Life can be too dull if you never treat yourself. Put "treats" into the budget and enjoy some well controlled spending of part of that money. Part of pinching the pennies is to give you the money to enjoy the things that you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Congrats!!!!

Continue to be smart and enjoy some of the perks here and there. Nothing wrong with enjoying the money you make.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Jasper had some great thoughts.

And also, 10K per year into retirement is NOTHING. You may have missed part of the point of saving for retirement. If you save enough, you could retire EARLY and maintain your current standard of living indefinitely.
I was thinking this too. I was wondering why you would spend 6k on vacations but only 10k on retirement.

I haven't read this whole thread though and don't know OP's finances exactly.

If that's the case, I'd max out your retirement and live relatively the same as you do now. If you are comfortable with half of what you just went up to, stay there and invest. You can always use the cash later if you must. Better to live below your means than at them.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
Try to live the exact same lifestyle you are currently living and save the excess. Half in a Roth IRA, half in a traditional 401k.

Look me up in five years and thank me for giving you the best advice ever five years ago! Feel free to throw some of the wealth you will have built-up my way!
Excellent advice! -- There will always be 'opportunities' to diversify or do different things in the future --- and you will have the freedom to take advantage of them!

Have you noticed how some people are always scratching their heads and wondering, "I wonder how in the world those folks can afford to ... (live in that house, take that vacation, retire early, start-up that business, etc)"? The one's asking invariably spend whatever they make and create debt on top of that; ... the one's they wonder about, are those who live within their means, save and are not depending on 'stuff' for their sense of self-worth.

We always took the latter path and as a result, always 'had enough' to live the life we wanted to live; plus saved and planned enough to retire early with sufficient money to live-out the rest of our lives in relative comfort. Those things do not simply happen by luck, but, rather require conscious choices when it comes to one's lifestyle and savings.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,046 times
Nothing is permanent. Human nature can kick us in the rear. Live on much less than you make and invest and save more than any other expense. If you do that, you will be fine financially.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,584 times
Kids are cheap when they're little. The teen and college years get expensive in a hurry. And if college is in the future, don't save any money in the kids names. Colleges take a lot higher percentage of the kids money than yours. Kudos to you for thinking about your future. You'll thank yourself many times over later.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,844 times
If you are comfortable at 40K/year, you probably aren't living in a major metropolitan area.

Haven't read the entire thread, but I would be more concerned about making sure to meet the new expectations of the employer. You will have increased responsibilities, which may also mean more time at work.

Because of having less free time, you may find yourself requiring a maid service. I would also continue to save, because when your pay grade and title are higher, it takes longer to find work if you are out. If I were you, I wouldn't change my lifestyle much, because 80k really isn't that much these days and "things" happen..

Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
Try to live the exact same lifestyle you are currently living and save the excess. Half in a Roth IRA, half in a traditional 401k.

Look me up in five years and thank me for giving you the best advice ever five years ago! Feel free to throw some of the wealth you will have built-up my way!
I disagree with the investment advice.

Instead of "saving" into a 401K/roth/ira/etc... buy precious metals. It will be better for you in the long run, since if the economy ever collapses, you can still use the metals to buy things you need; while the paper dollar will be good for starting fires and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Jasper had some great thoughts.

And also, 10K per year into retirement is NOTHING. You may have missed part of the point of saving for retirement. If you save enough, you could retire EARLY and maintain your current standard of living indefinitely.
That's 25% of their yearly income, that's quite a bit honestly. Better than average actually. Most financial planners say save 10-15% of your yearly. The OP is almost doubling that!

Not to mention not everyone wants to stop working early. My Dad is an unconfirmed millionaire (my godmother and his executor has confirmed it although he won't say a word, lol) and he still works 70/hrs per week happily. He can retire at ANY time, yet there he is at 77yrs old still working, doing what he LOVES.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Way easier said than done. If he doesn't have any expensive hobbies or interests or 'wants' then he should just keep steam rolling onward and invest the rest.
Exactly. I fail to see the 'problem' is he speaks of.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM

61 posts, read 88,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

First world problems I know, but any advice is appreciated.

Listen to the guys at TastyTrade and take control of your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living