Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times

Advertisements

For things that should be durable, I try to buy expensive quality things at a steep discount. Sometimes takes a lot of research, but at least all done now in fr of the computer instead of physically going store to store. Also, I'm willing to wait until I find a good price instead of buying sometime the minute I think I want it.

My plan is to sell things later when I no longer need them at 80+ percent of what I paid... I've sold a few items for even more than my initial investment after using it for a few yrs because the item was high quality, kept in like new condition, and the initial price was a real bargain when I got it. I've also bought things on craigslist- but only good quality stuff and again,when I'm done, I should be able to sell it.

I figure this method is better than getting cheap junk that doesn't work as it should and I have to discard at the end of it's short life. Luckily I live where people use CL a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM

283 posts, read 349,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Services we skimp on:

caller id, call waiting, call forwarding, etc. We just have the basic service, if the phone rings we answer it or it goes to the good ol' answering machine.

yard work, as we need it we call about once a month, but not every week (rural area, no grass) and we keep it up in between
it's 2014 not 1988
these things can be had free

Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,186 times
Clothing for work: I don't skimp on because I can not show up in a frumpy crappy walmat outfit. I try to go midranged, like Ana or Worthington from JC Pennys.

Food: I don't skimp on. I try to get the best bang for my dollar buy purchasing in season produce, learning how to use a slow cooker, menu planning more carefully and having my own small garden for some veggies and herbs. I choose local fish and chicken for my meats, the highest quality I can spend, as it's still cheaper than eating a lot of red meat in my area.

Skimp: Halloween and Christmas jammies for my kids, and toys. I don't load up on plastic crap, but I scour the internet, consignment stores and yard sales for solid classics like sets of wooden blocks, a nice wood barn etc. I would never buy my kids a crappy or unsafe toy just because it was cheap.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't skimp on things which are related to safety, like tires, or things which see heavy use, like tools. I can't discount sales because I don't buy durable goods if they're not on sale. Well, I do, but only in a pinch.
Tools for sure! It's so easy to think "Well I only need it for this one project" and get the off brand, the lower powered one, or the one with proprietary parts. If you truly will need it for just one project, then rent a quality one.

Even for things you'll use frequently you can still fall into this trap. For example, it's definitely worth getting a $7-$15 utility knife instead of using the chintzy 99 cent ones.

Ease of use is important too. I paid an extra two or three bucks for my bike's nuts to be finger-turnable wing nuts. Time and simplicity are valuable to me if I ever have to make a roadside repair.

On the other hand, though -- I'll totally skimp on paint brushes and rollers. I'm not going to wash them and re-use them. The only one I pay extra for and wash each time is a nice brush for edging.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
I'm going to agree with oregonwoodsmoke, there is no point in buying cheap just to have it not meet your needs. If it is going to break, wear out, fail to meet expectations, or is uncomfortable, it is not worth going with the cheap version. This is especially true with things that take heavy use like power or hand tools, though that opinion may be skewed due to my profession working with a hand tool manufacturer. Something else no one has mentioned yet is things like insurance and warranties. People pay for insurance and security systems and the like, but go so "cheap" that their claims are denied due to improper coverage. Use insurance like a tool, one that'll break after you paid for it is useless. Either be cheap by not having coverage at all or cover yourself thoroughly.

Last edited by Nina Blaicher; 07-28-2014 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: added statement

Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Food and shoes - try to buy the best I can afford.

Everyday clothes that I will only wear at home such as pajamas and summer shorts and tanks - wal-mart works for me! Or Ross Dress for Less. Just bought three new pj sets at wal-mart - so soft and comfy. Hard to find this style - the pants are knee length, so had to get one in each color.

Nicer shorts/clothes that I wear in public, get on sale at eddie bauer or macys.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:54 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Tools for sure! It's so easy to think "Well I only need it for this one project" and get the off brand, the lower powered one, or the one with proprietary parts. If you truly will need it for just one project, then rent a quality one.

Even for things you'll use frequently you can still fall into this trap. For example, it's definitely worth getting a $7-$15 utility knife instead of using the chintzy 99 cent ones.

Ease of use is important too. I paid an extra two or three bucks for my bike's nuts to be finger-turnable wing nuts. Time and simplicity are valuable to me if I ever have to make a roadside repair.

On the other hand, though -- I'll totally skimp on paint brushes and rollers. I'm not going to wash them and re-use them. The only one I pay extra for and wash each time is a nice brush for edging.
I never thought of buying wing nuts for the bike. Genius.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a set of five very good kitchen knives... in 1988. I still have three of the five. Unfortunately, someone thought that a kitchen knife would be a good ice pick - twice. That didn't work.

I love those knives.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,832 times
I know it's weird but I rarely ever buy food at full price, I always buy it on sale price or I buy it from local farmers for dirt cheap. I stick to whatever is on sale for the week. I avoid processed food like chips, sodas, etc and I also avoid prepped food. So yeah, I go cheap on food.

I go cheap on clothes too. I have no shame in wearing Walmart clothes. I have no shame buying clothes at thrift stores either.

I buy most of my furniture used, except for mattress. Finding something that someone once paid $5,000 on and now they are moving and selling it for $700-$900. Yeap! Crazy deal.

With cars, I don't buy beat up cars or something brand new. I tend to stick my budget in the $7K-16K range. Not new, not super old. Stick with Japanese cars.

Mattress and electronics are also mid-range. Not low end and not super high end but middle of the road stuff.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Skimp to save $$$:
Bath loofahs/poufs (they all fall apart at the same rate in my experience)
Condiments (store brand FTW)
House cleaners (I mostly make my own)
Cat food (my cats LOVE Target brand)
Toilet paper (cheapest per sq ft I can find)
Athletic socks (nobody cares)

Splurge mostly for quality's sake:
Tires (because I like being alive)
Bath towels (so they last forever)
Dental floss (the cheap stuff SUCKS)
Scented candles (because I'm female)
Perfume (because a dab makes me feel TOTALLY LUXURIOUS)
Ammunition (obvs)
Kitchen knives (should only ever have to buy ONE of each)

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
My first approach to being frugal was to buy at low prices.The past some odd months I have been thinking that if you buy cheap on less quality things you will probably spend more later.What are the things that you don't skimp on? (Sale items excluded)
I agree. I used to buy cheap clothes and shoes to save money only to find that I continually bought these things because they fell apart rather quickly.

I don't skimp on anything these days. I have learned that it is better to have 2 or 3 quality items instead of a bunch of junk. Even though I pay more per item in the end I buy less stuff and thus save money.

There are a few exceptions with things like TP. Considering what it is used for I do not see the need to spend $$$$$ on something that is going to literally be flushed down the toilette. Also, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Skimp to save $$$:
Bath loofahs/poufs (they all fall apart at the same rate in my experience)
Condiments (store brand FTW)
House cleaners (I mostly make my own)
Cat food (my cats LOVE Target brand)
Toilet paper (cheapest per sq ft I can find)
Athletic socks (nobody cares)

Splurge mostly for quality's sake:
Tires (because I like being alive)
Bath towels (so they last forever)
Dental floss (the cheap stuff SUCKS)
Scented candles (because I'm female)
Perfume (because a dab makes me feel TOTALLY LUXURIOUS)
Ammunition (obvs)
Kitchen knives (should only ever have to buy ONE of each)
Generally agree with the exception of kitchen knives. What you want ultimately is something that is balanced between blade and handle and that feels good in your hand (a proper weight). I have worked as a cook/chef for 16 years and have only come across a handful of people who actually use $200+ knives. Most cooks just use the cheaper stuff you can get from restaurant supply stores and it is more important to keep the knife sharp anyways. As long as it is not too light and flimsy you are good to go.

At home I use an 8" chef knife I got from BB&B for like $15 and a santoku I purchased from Costco for $8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living