Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times

Advertisements

Long story even shorter, you are not a minimalist.

Probably never will/can be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Long story even shorter, you are not a minimalist.

Probably never will/can be....
I think we concluded that on page 3 with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
.......Tamara, there is really no way for a minimalist like me to give you a satisfactory answer to your question. We have fundamentally different characters. You are clearly a person whose creativity is fed by having a lot of options. I am not like that...at all. I thrive on simplicity and finding solutions to problems with things I already own. Lots of complex, equipment-laden hobbies hold absolutely no appeal.

You don't have to be a minimalist. In fact, I strongly advise against it. That said, please understand that a minimalist like me trying to explain the way I live to someone like you is like a fish trying to explain what living in water feels like to a bird. We can talk at each other, but there is little chance for real understanding.

Let me also state in general terms that minimalism does not always go hand in hand with deliberate frugality. I am a minimalist, but I am not particularly frugal.

Peace.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,133 times
"Foraging Nature"

Oh no that's me!

Releasing my "stuff" back into the wild is my challange. Easier now that I have kids, I don't have time to organize all my "stuff", so I just want to make it all go away!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:50 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
There is no set number of items one must have/not have to be considered a minimalist. To me, minimalism is all about only keeping what you use on a regular basis, and not having unneeded junk laying around. I have been working on becoming a minimalist for years. I started on my wardrobe which can literally now fit into one clothes drawer. What I do is go room to room and pick up an item and ask myself if I use it regularly. If not, I either trash it, sell it, or donate it. My goal is to reduce my possessions to around 20 items.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Maybe OP can start by removing imaginary animals and then taking it box by box. As in Cinderella and sorting peas - on in the go box one in the keep box.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Maybe OP can start by removing imaginary animals and then taking it box by box. As in Cinderella and sorting peas - on in the go box one in the keep box.
Well, it has already been agreed that the minimalist life style is not for everyone, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, and for some people with lives like me, it is probably most probable not the way to go.

HOWEVER, if one were to go the road suggested above, then it is best to start with a clarification of terms. Such as, do you mean imaginary or fabulous?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, it has already been agreed that the minimalist life style is not for everyone, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, and for some people with lives like me, it is probably most probable not the way to go.

HOWEVER, if one were to go the road suggested above, then it is best to start with a clarification of terms. Such as, do you mean imaginary or fabulous?
I said imaginary - such as overcrowding of your place by eagles and tadpoles. Who came up with fabulous?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I said imaginary - such as overcrowding of your place by eagles and tadpoles. Who came up with fabulous?
The eagles and frogs (I was wondering what happened to the tadpole stage) was a dream I had.

As far as fabulous goes, I'm one of those unicorn (and dragons and pegarons and probably a few other types) gals. Stuffed, figurines, wind chimes, art work, coffee mugs, probably other things.

So when you said reduce the number of my imaginary animals, I wasn't sure if you were talking about in my mind or my fabulous animals.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Why are the only two choices being discussed here seem to be "minimalist" or "hoarder"?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
My life would be easier if I didn't have to deal with my husband's stuff. I've always been a minimalist. I don't like knick knacks. I don't keep stuff in case I might need it someday. My husband does. When I lived alone, I only had stuff that I could move by myself when I needed to move. My dad lived 4 hours away and I didn't want to have to depend on anyone else. I had a waterbed that could be emptied and moved easily and I had wicker furniture that I could lift by myself.

Now I do have heavier stuff, stuff that I definitely couldn't move myself. But I have my husband and I could afford to pay someone to move it if I needed to. But I still don't have a lot of extra stuff. Like a coffee table. I don't need/want a coffee table. I like the middle of the room to be open. End tables, yes. Coffee table, no.

I don't have 50 pair of shoes. I have a pair of tennis shoes, two pair of sandals and several pair of dress shoes in different colors. That's it. No boots because I just threw away a pair of boots I've worn the last couple of years when I was doing fall cleaning. I think I will buy a pair of Uggs for this winter. Just one pair. That's all I need.

Flashlights? We have a couple in the cabinet over the microwave, next to the trash bags. They are always in the same place. If our power ever went out for an extended period of time, which hasn't happened since 1996, we would know where to find the flashlights. No clutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living