Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times

Advertisements

In addition to my weekly budget, i'll try to only spend no more than 50 dollars a month dining out, including fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
What i mostly buy is raw meats and fresh fruits and veges. I rarely buy any processed foods.
Good way to go plus I noticed you rarely eat out: seems to me you are doing it just about right; healthy eating, realizing you have to enjoy what you are eating and you don't seem to be wasting your money.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
What i mostly buy is raw meats and fresh fruits and veges. I rarely buy any processed foods.
Then it sounds like you're doing a good job and your budget is reasonable. Sure, you could eat more cheaply, but probably not as well as you're eating now.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:23 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
If it suits your budget, and it sounds like are eating healthy food, then I think it's completely reasonable. Sure, you could live on 75 cents a day if you wanted to eat ramen for all 3 meals, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do so, just because it's cheaper.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
To MUCH?!…it's too little.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 AM

38 posts, read 38,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I cook for five not one so I don't have a budget to suggest..
This may be a altogether separate thread, but want to know approximately how much you spend for 5 people.
as most of us, my 2017 resolution is to have a tab on spending and go by budget.
So as a preparation, in Decemeber, i just bought as i used to do. and it ended up almost 1k.
Some demographics,
we are 3 adults and 2 kids (2yr girl 5yr boy).
we eat rice lot (not due to frugal but because we are from Asia)
We go organic eggs/whole milk.
Restaurants are very limited, in december ~121 (thats due to holidays) otherwise we will not go beyond 70. (this is not accounted as grocery)

I shop at Sams for Snacks, Almond Milk otherwise regular to Aldi & Target.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If it suits your budget, and it sounds like are eating healthy food, then I think it's completely reasonable. Sure, you could live on 75 cents a day if you wanted to eat ramen for all 3 meals, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do so, just because it's cheaper.
Can't find it now, but a while back there was an extreme frugalista who just ate wheat and vitamin pills. Used a thermos and hot water to cook the wheat. IIRC, he didn't even buy people-food wheat.

Maybe he's dead?

Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,184 times
$50 sounds really cheap to me, good job

I spend $75-$100 a week but rarely eat out. Coffee is a big part of that expense.

I wish I could live on fried rice everyday but just can't. (For instance, I'd eat just yogurt for breakfast if I could, but find I want raw nuts in it and fruit, and so on...adds to the bill)

Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukku335 View Post
This may be a altogether separate thread, but want to know approximately how much you spend for 5 people.
as most of us, my 2017 resolution is to have a tab on spending and go by budget.
So as a preparation, in Decemeber, i just bought as i used to do. and it ended up almost 1k.
Some demographics,
we are 3 adults and 2 kids (2yr girl 5yr boy).
we eat rice lot (not due to frugal but because we are from Asia)
We go organic eggs/whole milk.
Restaurants are very limited, in december ~121 (thats due to holidays) otherwise we will not go beyond 70. (this is not accounted as grocery)

I shop at Sams for Snacks, Almond Milk otherwise regular to Aldi & Target.
I spend a lot more than that. We're two adults and three teens. My husband doesn't like ALDI so I rarely shop there. I don't have to cut it that close so I often don't. I currently live in an area with high availability to gourmet and ethnic food experiences. We often try new and gourmet products which bumps the cost up. That cost is lower if I don't shop with the husband or kids. I had a budget last year where I was budgeting $125 a week. I could cut that back by sticking to the basics if needed. I cook, but I could look for less expensive recipes or cook less expensive recipes more often. We could cut back on some of the fresh produce. We've kind of gotten spoiled with the selection.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I spend a lot more than that. We're two adults and three teens. My husband doesn't like ALDI so I rarely shop there. I don't have to cut it that close so I often don't. I currently live in an area with high availability to gourmet and ethnic food experiences. We often try new and gourmet products which bumps the cost up. That cost is lower if I don't shop with the husband or kids. I had a budget last year where I was budgeting $125 a week. I could cut that back by sticking to the basics if needed. I cook, but I could look for less expensive recipes or cook less expensive recipes more often. We could cut back on some of the fresh produce. We've kind of gotten spoiled with the selection.
I would think $125 is well within reason for a family of 5, but it depends if this includes lunches as well? As for hubby not liking Aldi's, a lot of people seem to have a problem with them. The newer stores or remodeled stores are clean, nice and have all the positives the old ones have, plus being nicer. I know our granddaughter tried one several years ago, it was old and not that clean plus she is a food snob. I doubt she would ever go to one again. I am surprised she shops at Sam's. Luckily for her, money is no object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living