Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
No, I'm serious. I must have the worst model. I even googled it cuz I wanted to get fx for Atlanta and the results basically said that this model gets jack for apps.
I know those sticks go cheap but I never really paid attention to what they do.
After Girls ends, I don't think there's anything on HBO. Oh wait, I do like veep.
I just want to try going without it.
Just try to get a friend to trade HBO pw for prime pw
I have to watch The Leftovers! I'm on a family member's Prime. Everyone I know with HBO is already sharing with someone anyway!

It's hard to find a lonely HBO pw!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,741 times
Playstation Vue
Sling TV
DirectvNow
Hulu TV
Youtube TV

All work on Fire TV boxes or sticks or Roku or Chromecasts plus other consoles like Nvidia Shield and PS4 etc.

Tablo is a great DVR as well for OTA.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have to watch The Leftovers! I'm on a family member's Prime. Everyone I know with HBO is already sharing with someone anyway!

It's hard to find a lonely HBO pw!
They can share with you, too. What meanies! Lol

Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
No, I'm serious. I must have the worst model. I even googled it cuz I wanted to get fx for Atlanta and the results basically said that this model gets jack for apps.
Consider a Roku for streaming, and a good HDTV antenna for local broadcast channels.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
I don't want to get it when I move. I just need Internet and phone for work.
What's the best way to still be able to watch things? I have vizio smart tvs but the apps are lackluster outside of Netflix, prime and Hulu. No fx, HBO, etc. Would something like a fire stick be better?
What's a good cheap digital antenna just for the major networks?
We have phone line for internet access here in our town. No cable company.

Roof antennas with signal amps can get one TV channel on most days.

We use Netflix.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You can get HBO a la carte. It's called HBO Now. I get it two months out of the year. you can install it on your smart tv. I just went to the web search bar to hbo.com
I went to HBO Now as you suggested.

It says I need to select: App Store, Google Play, or Amazon.

I use Google Chrome so I tried the Google option, but it says I need a device. I guess it won't run on a PC or laptop ???

Old 03-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
They can share with you, too. What meanies! Lol
No one I know wants to chance sharing with more than one person. I don't either. When I have it I only share with one person.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I use Google Chrome so I tried the Google option, but it says I need a device. I guess it won't run on a PC or laptop ???
I thought it did. IDK. It was years ago that my Smart TV didn't have a pre-installed app for it, I just went to the web browser to hbo.com and downloaded or installed or something.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I just went to the site and it specifically said watch on your laptop, tablet, etc?

Old 03-25-2017, 03:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I don't think there's any way to watch the brand new cable shows right when they come out each week without paying for it. I just wait until they're the last season, usually.

The exception is PBS. You can watch them the day they come out, and maybe for a week, and then even PBS makes you buy a pass now!

A friend bought me an Amazon Fire tablet for christmas and I was able to buy the Vikings latest season available on Amazon without having Prime, which I was happy about. For most of those shows, like Starz, etc., you have to first buy Prime membership, then pay extra for the premium channel subscription. But, the Amazon Fire tablet bypasses some of that.

I don't want to pay for any of those, so I wait for them to become available either through the tablet, or I even just rent them at a local video store.

Otherwise, I watch free movies on Youtube. You can find a zillion free movies that people have uploaded. There are even BBC full series. And I watch PBS.

There's an Australian channel on Youtube that has a series about the soccer team that Russell Crowe bought. It was really interesting. They also have free full Australian movies, which are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living