Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM

24,601 posts, read 9,440,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Coffees, cappuccinos, and lattes defnitely. $5+ for a 16-20oz drink that you're done with in 15 minutes is a pretty high price for something that can give you diabetes and that you can make cheaper and healthier at home.
It's not a ripoff because starbucks is globally successful, clearly people love what they have to offer. That's called supply and demand.

You can make a cheeseburger at home too, is that going to stop you from going to Five Guys or In N out?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It's not a ripoff because starbucks is globally successful, clearly people love what they have to offer. That's called supply and demand.
And when five thugs on a corner ask for your wallet and you hand it over, that's just demand and supply.

Quote:
It's not a ripoff because starbucks is globally successful...
I just had to quote that twice so I could get in another and a for good measure.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So they jacked the price because of the election results? What idiots. They should have given it away free...
I understand that they're not an eleemosynary institution but over the years they've cut columns, supplements, etc. and raised the prices. After pulling out all the advertising from the Sunday paper and having very little substance left, I quit getting it even on Sunday. And unless you've published an obituary lately, you wouldn't believe what they charge for those. DH's was a little over 200 words, no picture, and it cost me $450.

Their choice to jack up the price. Mine not to pay it.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Their choice to jack up the price. Mine not to pay it.
Oh, I entirely agree. Newspapers are in such dire straits these days, and the online equivalents have yet to reach... maturity.

My thought was that it was one day that a vast pool of non-readers would go looking for a paper, and giving them away free might have resulted in a subscription, or at least reputation boost at fairly modest cost. Jacking the price just shot them in the other foot.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:30 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
My local newspaper was bought out. The new company has a premium edition scam that turned my 12 month subscription into a 10 month subscription. They had yet another substantial price increase, too. I turned my long-time subscription into a cancellation.

I looked for a newspaper today at the local grocery store, so I could look at the election results. There were no newspapers available, either inside or outside the store. I guess no one is buying them anymore, as they used to sell them. I could have run into town, but it just wasn't worth it.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My local newspaper was bought out. The new company has a premium edition scam that turned my 12 month subscription into a 10 month subscription. They had yet another substantial price increase, too. I turned my long-time subscription into a cancellation.

I looked for a newspaper today at the local grocery store, so I could look at the election results. There were no newspapers available, either inside or outside the store. I guess no one is buying them anymore, as they used to sell them. I could have run into town, but it just wasn't worth it.
I fear this will become a lot more common as the years go by.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Quote:
Oh, I entirely agree. Newspapers are in such dire straits these days, and the online equivalents have yet to reach... maturity.

My thought was that it was one day that a vast pool of non-readers would go looking for a paper, and giving them away free might have resulted in a subscription, or at least reputation boost at fairly modest cost. Jacking the price just shot them in the other foot.
Thanks for your additional comments- I'd thought your original post was being sarcastic (as in, "what- do you think they should give them away for free?").

I'm not sure that giving them away for free would have been a good idea- many people grab anything free whether they plan to use it or not (I know this from my experiences listing Free Stuff on Craigslist!) and don't value it. Keeping the price at its usual might have had a better effect on sales. The KC Star, in addition to charging more for the Sunday edition, charges more for the Saturday one, labeling it "special" and also denoting other days as "special", including Black Friday. Sounds like that's what happened to mschultz.

The McClatchy chain, by any chance?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:06 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Coffee doesn't promote diabetes. In fact, there are studies that it lowers the incidence.

If, however, by "coffee" you mean Starbucks' coffee-flavored ice cream drinks, never mind. But then, you have to do something to disguise the taste of burnt beans.
I meant the $5 sugary drinks you buy from Starbucks and the like.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 AM

24,601 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
And when five thugs on a corner ask for your wallet and you hand it over, that's just demand and supply.
Starbucks is the equivalent to getting robbed?

Let me guess, five guys, chik fil-a, chipotle, Pizza Hut, McDonald’s, and every other place that’s serves food or drinks is also a ripoff

Unless you’ve never eaten at a restaurant a day in your life, you’re a hypocrite just complaining about a bias against Starbucks. You know damn well you go out to be “robbed” at any number of these chain restaurants.

Starbucks is highly successful and you’re not, get over it.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Starbucks is highly successful and you’re not, get over it.
Your impeccable logic has skewered me to the cappucino.

I guess drug cartels rank high on your investment plan, then - supply, demand, highly successful, customers who stand in line to throw money at them. Some even have logos. There is, of course, no other consideration here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living