Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 09:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes, they live in areas where it is freezing most of the year, being in hot weather is depressing
I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I totally agree that hot weather is depressing. People sweat and smell bad. Lots of bugs that never get killed off by a freeze. Hot weather clothing isn't as pretty as cold weather clothing. My hair is flat in hot, humid weather. Have to constantly slather on sunblock, making it feel even hotter. It's an unpleasant environment, esp when it's year 'round.

But I'm sure the Nordic countries' happiness is a result of a lot of factors. Good health care is a big one, I'm sure. Good environment. Good schools. Decent economy. Beautiful countries. Culture (art, movies). Low crime. But Switzerland does have a high suicide rate, so apparently some people there are not very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:00 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I totally agree that hot weather is depressing. People sweat and smell bad. Lots of bugs that never get killed off by a freeze. Hot weather clothing isn't as pretty as cold weather clothing. My hair is flat in hot, humid weather. Have to constantly slather on sunblock, making it feel even hotter. It's an unpleasant environment, esp when it's year 'round.

And now I don't know if you're being sarcastic. I live in the Philippines, every day of the year the overnight low is upper 70s, daytime high 90, dewpoints slightly into the humid range. Our house has AC built in, but Ive never turned it on and don't even know if it works. Windows open and a fan are perfectly comfortable, day and night. Women who have to go out in the sun carry an umbrella, but not every day is sunny. Retirees don't have to go out and expose themselves to workplace sun, so you can pretty much live your life in the shade. No more bugs here than in Michigan. People bathe and do laundry often, I never smell anyone (but I never try), even in the crowded jeepney, and clothes are always clean, even on poor people. I also lived in Indonesia, same thing.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Cebu sounds awesome. Have to add that to my short list.
Philippines can be a very nice and affordable destination. Barring the typhoons.... build a TOUGH home on high ground, and clear the trees around house. .

You can have a pleasant climate while out exploring 7000 islands.
Music is everywhere and people are pretty happy and safe. (Helps to stay on the right side of the law)

My only complaint was the heavy rains and chicken and rice 21x / week (we were with locals, but had difficulty finding produce. If there, I will grow my own. Or figure out where to buy cheap.

Fresh seafood is beyond amazing (and will be free while you are out exploring islands).

In-home care will be Very affordable and of good quality. that is where 30% of the medical aide staff in USA come from. Figure out how to offer USA immigration to your caregiver and you will become a king! (We had a few friends bring their caregivers / maids back to USA. And sponsor 4yrs or so. Very nice arrangements.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:05 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
And now I don't know if you're being sarcastic. I live in the Philippines, every day of the year the overnight low is upper 70s, daytime high 90, dewpoints slightly into the humid range. Our house has AC built in, but Ive never turned it on and don't even know if it works. Windows open and a fan are perfectly comfortable, day and night. Women who have to go out in the sun carry an umbrella, but not every day is sunny. Retirees don't have to go out and expose themselves to workplace sun, so you can pretty much live your life in the shade. No more bugs here than in Michigan. People bathe and do laundry often, I never smell anyone (but I never try), even in the crowded jeepney, and clothes are always clean, even on poor people. I also lived in Indonesia, same thing.
I would hate that. Hot, humid weather like that. Grew up in it, have moved back to it...hopefully temporarily, since I plan to move away again (what was I thinking?).

It's hot, stinky, bug-infested, humid, and dirty. Mold grows on cars, even, if not kept in garages.

I lived in Dallas TX for decades. Very hot there in the summer. But a low bug count because it has a bit of a winter, and the freeze kills them off. It's also not humid (bugs love humidity). Low mosquito count and crawly bugs. I never found a big snake in my yard there, like I have here. Never had mold growing on my car, like I've had here.

It will get worse, as global warming continues. It's already worse here now than when I was a kid. Temps rarely broke 95 degrees. Now, flooding is rampant, hurricanes more numerous and stronger, and temps approaching 100 are common.

I hope to move back to a cooler, more temperate climate. Where there are some seasons (not just summer year round), leaves turn colors in the fall, and it's cold at Christmas with a possibility of snow. Christmas should be cold. Thanksgiving should be chilly.

I live in a subtropical climate. Horrible. But if you like rain and skeeters the size of small cars, here it is, folks. If you want to experience rain for a solid week at a time, this is the place for you. If you want to be prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice, with plenty of cash on hand (power outages prevent using plastic), this is your kinda place.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
This very thread has convinced me to retire early and move to another country. Its a 5-7 year plan, depending on how aggressively I can save. I can live off my savings for 10 years and then social security + savings. Since my dream of getting remarried and having a family will never happen as long as I live in Oklahoma, and if I can live on approximately $15-$20k per year in another country, this is my plan. It needs to be a Latin American country because Latin American women like me way more than American women. I'm thinking Medellin, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, etc. I may still be able to get married at that time too. I think this is very doable and I wish I'd thought of it 5 years ago as a plan. I might have gotten there sooner!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have been to Nicaragua and am going back in a few months. I am no where near retirement age but just love it there. The people are very friendly. They live in extreme poverty, but are not starving as food literally grows on trees. It is also very beautiful, with rain forests, volcanoes, beaches on both the Pacific and Caribbean sides.

And the cost!? OMG. Beer costs a buck at a bar or 25 cents in the store. The food is healthy and dirt dirt cheap. Talk about farm to table. Like 80 cents for breakfast.

I could definitely see myself taking an early retirement and moving there.
What parts of Nicaragua do you like?

I so want to see the Corn Islands but as a solo female traveler have been scared off by some crime stories (perpetrated on US citizens) I've read in recent years...

Old 12-29-2017, 09:05 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

But I'm sure the Nordic countries' happiness is a result of a lot of factors. Good health care is a big one, I'm sure. Good environment. Good schools. Decent economy. Beautiful countries. Culture (art, movies). Low crime. But Switzerland does have a high suicide rate, so apparently some people there are not very happy.
If all the unhappy people are committing suicide then it makes sense the ones that are left alive to survey are all the happy ones...

Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
I'm happy I stumbled on this thread! Very informative and hope it continues as I love to hear about people's experiences abroad.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have been to Nicaragua and am going back in a few months. I am no where near retirement age but just love it there. The people are very friendly. They live in extreme poverty, but are not starving as food literally grows on trees. It is also very beautiful, with rain forests, volcanoes, beaches on both the Pacific and Caribbean sides.

And the cost!? OMG. Beer costs a buck at a bar or 25 cents in the store. The food is healthy and dirt dirt cheap. Talk about farm to table. Like 80 cents for breakfast.

I could definitely see myself taking an early retirement and moving there.
I recently retired (age 64) and moved from very expensive Orange County CA to Tucson AZ. I rent a 1 BR apartment here for less than $600 / mo and am pretty comfortable. Now I have time to travel to places that I have been wanting to visit for many years.

This Spring I might take a trip to Nicaragua & Costa Rica. I have not visited there in many decades. One destination will be the highlands area in northern Nicaragua - Jinotega, Esteli and Matagalpa. That's the coffee growing region at about 1000 meters / 3000 feet elevation. The temps are milder at that elevation than down in the lowlands of the main cities like Granada and Managua. I speak fluent Spanish so no problem with communications. It should be an interesting visit.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Another frugal plan for international living...

Don't quit your job... Get an international job that will pay for travel, lodging, food, and 'frequent leave' (i.e. vacations for R&R). Get a job in a war / redevelopment zone and enjoy USA tax favors on income.

My company paid for my family to accompany (and they would have paid for private schooling, but we elected to homeschool so we could travel more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living