Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,916 times

Advertisements

Theres a chair that I want for my room. Its actually more like a long chair and I love the way it looks! I wanted to buy it and put it at the end of my bed so i can sit in it when I watch TV. That or I was thinking of putting it in the corner and buying some nice pillows for it. Either way it's a really beautiful chair.

I found one at a place near me and its expensive so I was thinking of getting on a a payment plan for it. It'd be 90 days and if I get it paid off by then I don't have to pay any extra on it, just what I owe. I was thinking about doing it. I really want it, but should I wait and save up and pay cash or should I get a payment plan?

Now I know a lot of people get their furniture used. I'm actually all for that and have done that before. but even if I found one on craigslist or somewhere I have no way to go get it, no car or truck. And a lot of ads want to meet or want you to come pick it up. This place offers free delivery so thats also why I'm leaning more toward it.

Anybody else paying off furniture? is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 PM

132 posts, read 107,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Theres a chair that I want for my room. Its actually more like a long chair and I love the way it looks! I wanted to buy it and put it at the end of my bed so i can sit in it when I watch TV. That or I was thinking of putting it in the corner and buying some nice pillows for it. Either way it's a really beautiful chair.

I found one at a place near me and its expensive so I was thinking of getting on a a payment plan for it. It'd be 90 days and if I get it paid off by then I don't have to pay any extra on it, just what I owe. I was thinking about doing it. I really want it, but should I wait and save up and pay cash or should I get a payment plan?

Now I know a lot of people get their furniture used. I'm actually all for that and have done that before. but even if I found one on craigslist or somewhere I have no way to go get it, no car or truck. And a lot of ads want to meet or want you to come pick it up. This place offers free delivery so thats also why I'm leaning more toward it.

My husband & I purchased our living room furniture on time. We had the money, but it was a large chunk of change & the deal was interest free if paid within one year. We paid it off in seven months. That’s where you have to be careful. Our terms were pay in full in one year or interest is added for the entire purchase price not just the balance of the loan.

You only have 90 days. Do you know if you’ll have all the money in that time period? If not, don’t risk getting stuck with interest payments. Just save up the money and pay cash. Maybe after saving the money for three months, you may change your mind about the chair. Who knows! Anyway, you’ll have extra cash set aside and that’s always a good thing. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:57 PM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
It’s never worth it. My motto is to pay cash or wait until I can pay it with cash.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
OP - with all the issues you have.. the last thing you need to do is buy an expensive furniture item that you don't really need.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
IMHO, it is always better to save up the cash and then buy the item. The two exceptions are buying a house and sometimes buying a car (but, often it is better to pay cash for a car, too. As you can normally get a much better deal).

Start to save up the money. It is possible that by the time that you have saved the money you will have changed your mind on the chair and decided that you really don't need it.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
It sounds like seeing the chair has created a picture in your mind of the experience the chair could provide. It also sounds like you probably have more pressing financial issues to which the money that would be spent on the chair would be more beneficially directed.

But ... you could probably create the experience you have pictured with something like a more affordable chair or chair and ottoman combination from someplace like IKEA or a second hand shop or garage sale. It wouldn't look the same as the chair you have set your heart on, but a more affordable but creative substitution could achieve the goal you have in mind without putting you in debt.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times
Buying only what one can afford to pay for in full is the wisest course.

You posted about troubles at work, manager is displeased, job in jeopardy so why would you take on debt at this juncture?

Old 05-26-2018, 11:29 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
you should pay cash for it but I cannot get mad at you for impulsively buying it. Just be careful because you don't want to pay interest. You're literally pissing money away at that point.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Go to the store and write down the stock number and color. Then go home and save up the money. If the chair sells before you get the cash, you've got the stock number so you can have one ordered for you.

Aren't you the person who is living in a motel room? If you are living in a motel, it would be unusual to buy furniture. At least check with management to make sure it is OK. (And, apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else )

Old 05-26-2018, 11:55 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Theres a chair that I want for my room. Its actually more like a long chair and I love the way it looks! I wanted to buy it and put it at the end of my bed so i can sit in it when I watch TV.

I found one at a place near me and its expensive so I was thinking of getting on a a more toward it.

Yes. I don't believe in taking credit for "small stuff" like furniture or appliance. I first save enough money, then go shopping.
Generally one should never finance furniture, especially if one couldn't pay for it in cash, today.
And here is why:
https://www.clearpoint.org/blog/here...nce-furniture/

But in your case, you are buying just one piece - the lovely chair you really like. Chances are that if you start saving for it now - by the time you have you money together, it will be gone.
So, go get it, but make absolutely sure that you don't miss a payment, no matter hiw much you need the money for something else.
Ideal would be to put the chair on your credit card, and promise yourself to pay it off in only three payments.

For the future, it may seem impossible to pay for your furniture (or any other purchase that is just several hundreds dollar worth) with cash, but it’s not. It just takes some dedication to save for what you want.
Try to save as much you can, every month, and you will experience a completely new feeling of joy and pride, when you realize that you just can walk into a store and buy for yourself something you really want, and pay for it with your own saved money

Note to ponder upon:
If you finance stuff to begin with because cash was tight, there’s a good chance that you’ll still be in a cash-strapped situation while you are making payments on the furniture.
Therefore, till more cash is available, it's wiser to buy gently used stuff, than struggle, or even miss a payment, because more important, emergency stuff has to be paid first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living