Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:22 PM

561 posts, read 324,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are amazingly few pet food plants in the country. Some produce and bag more than a dozen brands.
Very true but the "recipes" are different when it comes to pet food. (DH was general manager at one in Wisconsin for a while)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM

561 posts, read 324,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Products may come off the same productions lines out of the same plants, but that does not mean the quality is the same. A bean is not a bean. You get different quality even out of the same field depending on how mature the bean is when picked for example.

One thing I've noticed when comparing store brands vs name brands is the ratio of product to water in the can. For the particular products I buy I've found Kroger store brand has more water and less product vs the name brands.
Yep. My brother used to work for a veggie packing company and I asked him this exact question and this was his exact answer. The name brand beans for example are maybe plumper, greener, longer or maybe slightly fresher (first run vs end of the day). The store brand beans are still beans but just not as "pretty" and they canning liquid may have a different acceptable ratio.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I guess then that it should be no surprise that the company that makes chick-fil-a product in my area also makes dog food for serveral brands

Old 11-16-2018, 07:05 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I would not be surprised if Great Value instant-coffee, the Walmart store brand, is made in the same plant where Folgers is made........look and taste is almost identical.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Yep. My brother used to work for a veggie packing company and I asked him this exact question and this was his exact answer. The name brand beans for example are maybe plumper, greener, longer or maybe slightly fresher (first run vs end of the day). The store brand beans are still beans but just not as "pretty" and they canning liquid may have a different acceptable ratio.
This I do remember:

During the "generic" grocery fad of the mid- and late 1970s, there was a more noticeable quality difference between the unbranded generics and any of the branded (national or private) products.

Cans of generic peas, for instance, would contain broken peas you wouldn't find in a can of store or name brand peas.

It's for this reason that I upbraid anyone who uses the word "generic" to refer to store brands. It's totally incorrect.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
.........Point is an oat is an oat. And a bean is a bean. ............
In theory, yes, but not really.

Different companies roll the oats different thickness, and while that doesn't make too much difference if you are cooking oatmeal, it can make a difference if you are using the oats for something else. I have a favorite brand I use to make granola. Other brands might be too thick or too thin.

Beans should be the same but they aren't always. I've had a lot of problems with pinto beans not softening well. Once I found a brand that always works well, I never buy any other brand. Fortunately, it is a lower priced brand, but price doesn't matter when the possibility is ruining a large batch of expensive chili by using beans that don't perform well.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,417,326 times
Had the opportunity to go through the Coors plant and watched them can Coors Light and Keystone Light.....same beer. Asked our "guide" and he simply shrugged his shoulders.

Seems years ago Coors was having issues in Pennsylvania marketing their beers due to local beers like Rolling Rock, Yeingling, etc. Decided to bring a lower priced brew to market and named it Keystone as PA is the keystone state. No need to come up with a new formula just put Coors Light in a Keystone can.

Save $4 a case drink Keystone.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
OP, I think that the only thing that works with house brands, is to buy one and try it. Some of the house brand stuff is really good. Some of it is OK but not as good as the national brands. Occassionally, some of it is substandard.

First Street, which is the house brand of Smart Food Warehouse, is always excellent.

Costco's house brand, Kirkland, is usually good, but not in every product.

Safeway's house brand is usually good.

Walmart's house brand is usually ok, but with a few slips. The same with Winco, some products excellent, some a little less so. ( I use Winco jar spaghetti sauce as a base for my pizza sauce.)

Processed fruits and vegetables vary because fresh fruit and vegetables come in different grades. The high priced brands get the top grades, and it goes down from there. Maybe you don't need the fanciest grades. You have to test brands to find what you like. Sometimes I like the less expensive brands. I like Fiesta brand pineapple much better than the well advertised national brand. But if I am buying canned corn, Green Giant vacuum packed is superior.

You just have to try them to see which ones you like.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Seems years ago Coors was having issues in Pennsylvania marketing their beers due to local beers like Rolling Rock, Yeingling, etc. Decided to bring a lower priced brew to market and named it Keystone as PA is the keystone state. No need to come up with a new formula just put Coors Light in a Keystone can.

Save $4 a case drink Keystone.

If you are drinking Coors Light, you could just buy club soda, they taste about the same. It is the mosty tasteless beer I have ever tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living