Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I'm another one who "over keeps" -- and has difficulty getting rid of used/worn clothing. And when it comes to other things I'll go out of my way to try to find someone who can use what I don't need anymore, Books I'll donate to library book sales. Small appliances I'll donate to good will. Some things I'll even post on "Free Cycle."

I keep handbags, and coats -- and underwear -- way too long. I'm perfectly fine with jackets with broken zippers, underwear with stretched elastic, and other defects (I'll just leave it at that) But it's who I am. While friends try to get me to part with things sooner, I make no apologies for how I am.

I also reuse certain food jars and other containers. I'll use them for storing cotton balls, Q-tips, paper clips, rubber bands, nuts/bolts/screws, whatever. I've used cleaned food jars for toothbrush holders. I reuse plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I shop at thrift shops.

I'm a pack-rat (NOT hoarder) -- I'll keep shipping boxes that have come to the house, wrapping paper, some lengths of string. Things like that. I write on the back side of paper or envelopes.

But on the other hand......I'm generous when gifting to others and also not frugal at all when it comes to food. I'll spend $100 on a good meal in a heart beat.

Oh, anyone else like this: When I really love something I'll spend more to FIX that item, than it would cost me to buy a new one. But it's items I'll never be able to buy again Like: $60 for new zippers to fix my favorite wallet that I bought in Italy decades ago. I've also had certain shoes fixed because they're not made anymore. And I've had lamps that I like rewired, versus just buying new, different lamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 08:45 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy clothes at the thrift store. It's easy to part with a garment I spent $4 on and wore plenty of times over the span of four or five years. I usually pay $7 for a pair of shoes and I'll discard them if they start looking shabby. Undergarments need to be bought new and I'll wear bras ($50 each, I wear a size that's nearly impossible to find) until they're very worn out. I replace underwear if they get holes or the elastic quits working right...I'm not going to walk around pulling up my panties every four or five steps.

For my husband's clothes, I'll discard dress shirts if they start looking frayed at the cuffs or collar, or if the collar becomes pilled from his 5 o'clock shadow. Pants get replaced if they get holes. Jeans usually only get replaced if the style changes a lot (for example, from relaxed fit to straight fit) or if they've faded to an ugly color.
Bad underwear can definitely ruin a good day. I can rarely find my size of bra either & they are so expensive. Almost everything I own is from a thrift-store by necessity except for shoes: If I won a million dollars today I would still buy shoes at a thrift store because I can find brand new shoes in extra-wide widths there more so than a shoe retail store.

I would never buy shoes online; my feet defy sizing charts & it’s the height of the toe box that determines fit for my feet; a dimension not usually provided online.

My son with autism rips clothing; as in right off his body & I can’t afford to keep him in brand new clothes. The way he rips them renders them unrepairable & I am a horrible sewer anyway.

At this moment he is down to two pairs of underwear & two pairs of pants. Yesterday he was obsessively working the hem of his jeans out so soon those will be gone too. I finally found big & tall socks for him (he wears a 14EE shoe) & bought him 10 pairs about 6 weeks ago & he has about 3 pairs of those left. Four shirts have been lost to ripping in the last 3 weeks. I literally can’t shop at the mall for him, no way!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM

265 posts, read 155,653 times
The more I am reading the more I am like uh .. I need to start throwing things out more. esp underwear. But now my underwear situation is presentable since I threw the elastic worn ones out last night )

And no unless it is something that is cost effective and time effective it will get discarded. Wallets and shoes will always get discarded in my book. A distressed leather jacket looks awesome and is worth a new 60 dollar zipper. Shoes and wallets that are distressed are ratty looking and make me feel like a cheapskate/pauper. The tops stretch when a repair is made

Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I've got some old clothing that I am fond of, but it is all demoted to "gardening clothes". I don't wear it out in public.

Shoes have three cycles. New, they are go-to-town shoes. When they stop looking new, they are at home shoes. If they look worn, they are for outdoors, gardening, working in mud, rain, snow.

If the sole is worn, it hurts my knees, so shoes are tossed as soon as they wear uneven. New shoes are cheaper than chiropractors or surgery.

I've got equipment that still works but looks old. I keep using that. My step ladder has paint drips, a bit of rust, and grime that will no longer wash off. It's still sturdy and works fine. There is no reason to buy a new one.

I've got a henckel knife that is about 60 years old. The blade still sharpens perfectly and holds an edge. There is no reason to throw it out. ( and a good example of why it pays to buy quality)

Old 12-04-2018, 03:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Generally, with regards to clothing at least, I use it til its annoying because of wear, ie the waist band is too loose. T-Shirts mostly get relegated to garden/car repair type status.

The exception would be dress clothes if they look worn.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
I have work-around-the-house clothes, too. My problem is that drawer is getting full, and I still can’t toss anything away. UGH

For a few reasons, I don’t buy clothes second-hand. But I’m certainly not a clothing snob. I probably would not know if someone was wearing second-hand, and I positively don’t know one designer item from the next (and I don’t care).

As far as shoes go, it’s a challenge to find shoes that fit. I have found that certain Sketchers tennis shoes fit without having to “break them in”. When my back and/or knees start to hurt more than usual, I know it’s time for new shoes.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:32 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"When do you chuck a pair of shoes?"
when they are not safe (slip-and-fall) to wear.
they could be old or new. do not care.
or they HURT your feet!

Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I have t-shirts that are 30 years old and still in good condition. They are mostly souvenirs from trips we have taken. I like them and have so many that it takes a long time to wear one out. When any clothes get threadbare they get tossed. I keep a few for puttering around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living