Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would not put a fridge or freezer outside though.
If it gets too cold in winter that can damage an outdoor fridge or freezer too. You have to keep an eye on the motorized parts; dirt, chewing or nesting animals, rust and corrosion, all damage those sorts of parts that weren't designed to get exposed to varying temperature and moisture. Now if you also happen to have large hairy curious wildlife that's a whole different situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
I have an extra fridge that I just bought, it’s worth it. I’ve already have a big one in the house. I’m glad I have it because it’s akways full. I eat lots of vegs and fruit. Plus lots of premade meals in the freezer. It’s for convenience. I wouldn’t cancel it.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I will just say, in case you are like me, that I'm the kind of woman whose purse is always full to the max, no matter the size. So, I try to only use small purses, so even after I fill it to the max, it doesn't weigh 50 pounds.

I live alone, and I have some weird need to preserve tons of food. I never mentally acknowledged that I no longer have to preserve food for a large family. So, my cupboards are full. My little freezer in my little apartment-size refrigerator is full. I have way more food at any given time than I will ever need.

If I had a freezer, though, I'd also fill it to the max, and still buy more food on sale than I can jam into it. Because I can't resist a good sale. The only thing that keeps me from buying everything I learn about that is a great deal - is knowing I have nowhere to put it.

Point being - if you build it, they will come. If you have another fridge or freezer, it will be full. if you don't have it, you won't buy a bunch of food you really don't need to buy, and you won't spend a bunch of extra money on electricity to keep the food that was a great deal - until you add in the cost of electricity to keep it, etc.

Even though I sometimes lament not having a freezer (like when turkeys were 39 cents a pound, and I could feed my dog for really cheap...supposedly...), I'm honestly glad I'm limited to the small freezer I have. I can't eat all the food I have now.

If you ever run out of food in the fridge/freezer you have now - you can always go to the store and get some more. But, for me, anyway, I'd end up throwing out a bunch of stuff that went bad or got freezer burned, because I forgot what I already had crammed in the back of the extra fridge or freezer.

Heck, I do that now. I have to do an inventory every now and then to see what's buried in there.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
We bought a new Samsung refrigerator 4 years ago, it was very expensive, it's a french door 25 cu ft thing. The ice maker works only periodically and Samsung wasn't able to fix it while it was under warranty and since the warranty expired they told us tough luck. Two shelves have broken (not from misuse) and when you open the deli drawer the lid falls off. We can't really sell it so we are putting it in the garage and getting a new LG for the house. It will be nice to have the extra space so I can stock up on sales but every time I look at it I get furious about how Samsung won't stand by their junky appliances.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We bought a new Samsung refrigerator 4 years ago, it was very expensive, it's a french door 25 cu ft thing. The ice maker works only periodically and Samsung wasn't able to fix it while it was under warranty and since the warranty expired they told us tough luck. Two shelves have broken (not from misuse) and when you open the deli drawer the lid falls off. We can't really sell it so we are putting it in the garage and getting a new LG for the house. It will be nice to have the extra space so I can stock up on sales but every time I look at it I get furious about how Samsung won't stand by their junky appliances.
Good to know. So, it's not just their phones that are pieces of junk.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I will just say, in case you are like me, that I'm the kind of woman whose purse is always full to the max, no matter the size. So, I try to only use small purses, so even after I fill it to the max, it doesn't weigh 50 pounds.

I live alone, and I have some weird need to preserve tons of food. I never mentally acknowledged that I no longer have to preserve food for a large family. So, my cupboards are full. My little freezer in my little apartment-size refrigerator is full. I have way more food at any given time than I will ever need.

If I had a freezer, though, I'd also fill it to the max, and still buy more food on sale than I can jam into it. Because I can't resist a good sale. The only thing that keeps me from buying everything I learn about that is a great deal - is knowing I have nowhere to put it.

Point being - if you build it, they will come. If you have another fridge or freezer, it will be full. if you don't have it, you won't buy a bunch of food you really don't need to buy, and you won't spend a bunch of extra money on electricity to keep the food that was a great deal - until you add in the cost of electricity to keep it, etc.

Even though I sometimes lament not having a freezer (like when turkeys were 39 cents a pound, and I could feed my dog for really cheap...supposedly...), I'm honestly glad I'm limited to the small freezer I have. I can't eat all the food I have now.

If you ever run out of food in the fridge/freezer you have now - you can always go to the store and get some more. But, for me, anyway, I'd end up throwing out a bunch of stuff that went bad or got freezer burned, because I forgot what I already had crammed in the back of the extra fridge or freezer.

Heck, I do that now. I have to do an inventory every now and then to see what's buried in there.
I have a standard full size fridge and freezer and my freezer is always full. I also have a mini standup freezer that looks like a mini fridge with 3 shelves and it's about 3 cubic feet and it's always full.

People need to keep in mind that food gets freezer burn if you don't use it, or some collects ice crystals, I recently went to eat a frozen budget dinner and I had to remove some of the ice before I nuked it.

I do wish I had gotten a bigger freezer but I didn't want a chest freezer or expensive one.

Also if you are in a stomy area you may lose all your fridge and frozen food. That happened to me after hurricane Irma. I evacuated and turned the power off before I left so I knew it would all go bad when I returned a few days later and it did, but luckily it wasn't to the point where it smelled. So all that food was wasted and thrown out and the power came back the day after I returned.

The turkey thing for dogs is a good idea. I had turkey leftovers and after me and my small dogs ate some of it I ground the rest of the cooked turkey put it in ice cube trays and wrapped it and froze it, gave one a day plus other food to my dogs, and one a day plus cat food to a stray cat and it lasted for almost 20 days.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
We find the opposite - extra fridge/freezer space has eliminated most of the processed food in our house, not added to it.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:23 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Exactly, but I also make a point of recycling my freezer food. I used to have a standup freezer years ago, I don’t now, but the freezer space is useful. I have a whole turkey in there for $6. Cheap protein meat for January.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:04 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
This has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with your relationship with your family.

Of course, it doesn't make financial sense to have a second refrigerator.

The argument can be made for a second freezer, but in practice it often allows one simply to hoard food they often don't eat.

But whether or not a second Garage/Basement Fridge is something you guys want is up to you. Its $30 a year in energy; not exactly a BMW Lease.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
If you're this uncertain, cancel the order. Live with the new refrigerator for a month or two and see how it works out. You might find a really good sale in January or February as well.

Not wanting to pay $30 a year for the electricity to run it is being penny wise and pound foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living