Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i absolutely believe that most people cant tell that i am wearing "cheap" shoes. i buy cheap sunglasses and i know for a fact that most people cant tell. it seems most people assume that i have more expensive things because of their perception of my financial status.

im also not certain that paying more for a shoes assures me that i am getting the quality that will protect my feet in the long term. what are some of the things that more expensive shoes have that you are talking about? my wife spends a lot of money on expensive shoes and i dont think that they are particularly great for her feet.
Bolded. I have read threads where people say they don't like being around others who wear cheap perfume. I always wondered how they can tell if it cost $20 vs $100?

I wear a 4-E wide sneaker and never buy what I think are the top brands. At least I don't have to hobble around in high heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 06:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
"I mean, really, how often do you look at a man's shoes" - The Shawshank Redemption.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Bolded. I have read threads where people say they don't like being around others who wear cheap perfume. I always wondered how they can tell if it cost $20 vs $100?

I wear a 4-E wide sneaker and never buy what I think are the top brands. At least I don't have to hobble around in high heels.
Ditto.

I also wear a 4 wide, and i DO go to a podiatrist regularly.
A 3E will work though, and usually what i can readily find.

My $125 orthodics, made for my feet shoes, eventually gave me no better support than a pair of Dr. SCHOLLS $25 or $30 shoes from Wally world. And it happened aroubd 6 months, about the time my Dr. S's would be replaced. Also the bottons of the soles of the orthodics wore down to smooth before the 'year plus they should last' was up, making them slippery when wet.
There is the basic shoe shell into which the custom orthodic insoles fit. There are 3 insoles sets you get, one for every 4 months ( which should tell us something). I found mine were well worn by 3 months, dustored and offering no support. So i went through 3 sets in about 8 mo ths, had to order and pay for more.

The orthodics sandals i got for spring/summer were $75. And were open toed, one velcro adjustable wide strap across tge top front. Those I Absolutely LOVE. Id wear them all year if i could. They support are thick soles and dont seem to wear out yet.

Do i think the more expensive orthodics are worth it?

No, not really. Dr scholl's @$25, 2 pair a year is $50.
The orthodics are $125 a year, plus $25 for extra insoles, fir a total of $150.
The orthodics are 3x the cost, and not really worth much more, my feet actually hurt after 8 hours in then, whereas dr. Ss dont.

So i dont think made-for-my-feet shoes are any better than cheap ones.

Oh and id rather my feet be nudists too, but being diabetic id better take care and sole them.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I don't know how you do it. I was into names when I was younger but cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper

I buy my running and everyday shoes, mostly at Big 5. I get the very best quality in shoe models that are a couple of years old, discounted to about 1/3 of full price.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
It's important shoes are good quality so they last you longer and feel better.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
My 20-dollar boots, that I have had for ages, are basically disintegrating...........I have repaired them numerous times with various glues and epoxies.

Yes, people stare at my boots, LOL, IDC!

Old 12-13-2018, 08:09 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
"I mean, really, how often do you look at a man's shoes" - The Shawshank Redemption.
Funny you should say that. The other day someone commented about my son's shiny shoes. He told the guy that he'd just polished them the night before. Somebody looks.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
"Ladies of the '80s are into shoes. It's the second place they look." - Black Rain

Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
I have Reeboks that I bought at a thrift shop 11 years ago for a dollar. I keep re-gluing the soles, I love them. They are for around the prolperty. For long distance walking, Brahma wotk boots, $25 at Walmart.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
No cheap shoes for me! Quality all the way! I never wanted to be one of those little old ladies shuffling along in constant pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living