Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,497,243 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Applebees ( i think)- anyway many restaurants- are now offering a "buy a $25 gift card for someone and get an extra $10 gift card for your self".

Another local restaurant offers a $30gift card for just $25.

One of the chain stores offers another such deal.

Fast food restaurants frequently offer the $25 gift card/certificates for either $20, or get a bonus $5 certificate with the purchase of one.

We dont eat out often, and when we do. We usually eat a $4 menu item at denny's and use our AARP card fir 15% discount off total. Total check comes to around $6 for two of us with ice water as a drink. Under 10 if one has coffee.

But, do you use such gift cards programs as part of your "frugalness"???

Do you consider using them as being "frugal"?

What say you all?

Lets debate civilly please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,001,678 times
It's like any other sale. IF you were going to buy the item anyway it's frugal. But it's foolish to buy something only because it's on sale. So with these sorts of gift card deals, I think it comes down to whether you either eat at that restaurant frequently, or need a gift for someone else. If you do, great! If you don't and buy the gift card anyway, you just wasted money that could have been used to buy something else more useful to you.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's like any other sale. IF you were going to buy the item anyway it's frugal. But it's foolish to buy something only because it's on sale. So with these sorts of gift card deals, I think it comes down to whether you either eat at that restaurant frequently, or need a gift for someone else. If you do, great! If you don't and buy the gift card anyway, you just wasted money that could have been used to buy something else more useful to you.
Sam's Club and others sell gift cards that are discounted from face value. If you patronize those restaurants or whatever, you may as well buy in bulk and take the discount. But buying cards only because they're a slight savings is to simply fall for a marketing shuck. The medium (in this case, prepaid cards instead of coupons or whatever) doesn't change the rules.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 PM

32,954 posts, read 36,412,347 times
"But, do you use such gift cards programs as part of your "frugalness"???"

Not really, meaning I don't constantly search for discounted cards or those with a bonus card. If I stumble on a deal which I know that I'll use, I'll certainly take advantage of it.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,364,397 times
I only think it's a good deal if I was getting something for what I wanted anyway.

For example, I prefer the offers at Shop Rite, where they have gift cards for certain places (that I am buying for Christmas) and then I get $15 off my next purchase at Shop Rite.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,793 times
I do that all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living