Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times

Advertisements

Park your truck for a month or two to try it out before you commit.

Losing the mobility of my car would be catastrophic for me, but I could never live in a city.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Not possible where I live but it sounds like it could work for you. Good Luck.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
I have sometimes been carfree, when I was younger and able to bike more.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:28 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
EXPECT to both need and want to take an Uber or taxi fairly regularly. Walk or bus TO the grocery or Big Box
and Uber home. Budget for these (and BART too) expenses so they aren't a surprise or force you to do without.

Uber has somehow classed up Gypsy cabs.
I'm not sure it's an improvement.
one of our locals here has a major headache on their hands .

they used local car service .. they car they were in t-boned another vehicle . they took the passenger in the car service away to the hospital before the police arrived .

the car service is disclaiming the passenger was ever in the car . originally no fault was picking up the medical and lost wages from the vehicle insurance but that now is not going to happen . while ems can link picking up the guy at the scene there is no evidence he was in that particular crash since he was already out of the car sitting on the sidewalk .

Old 12-25-2018, 10:43 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one of our locals here has a major headache on their hands .

they used local car service .. they car they were in t-boned another vehicle . they took the passenger in the car service away to the hospital before the police arrived .

the car service is disclaiming the passenger was ever in the car . originally no fault was picking up the medical and lost wages from the vehicle insurance but that now is not going to happen . while ems can link picking up the guy at the scene there is no evidence he was in that particular crash since he was already out of the car sitting on the sidewalk .
You live in NYC. How does this relate to the OP's post?

Old 12-25-2018, 11:34 AM

605 posts, read 335,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You live in NYC. How does this relate to the OP's post?
he didn't say it related to the op's post. Why do you ask?

It is good info for anyone going car free. If in an accident, remain in the vehicle until the cops arrive.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
It’s nice to see someone is honest about the needs of an older vehicle and not the “I have a 25year old Chevy , it needed nothing except tires ; brakes; and oil changes”.
Op has a nissan.if he had a gm he might have said that.

I'm one of those people. Sold one of my mini vans last year. 1998 olds with 240,000. $28,000 in 1998.

$1,050 for me in 2008. Sold 10 years later for $900.

Tires, brakes, oil changes, 1 set of plugs and wires, a water pump, a couple suspension parts. Not bad.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:46 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
I've gone carless. It sucks

Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
It’s nice to see someone is honest about the needs of an older vehicle and not the “I have a 25year old Chevy , it needed nothing except tires ; brakes; and oil changes”.
LOL, I think it does depend on the older model, too. I didn't have these types of maintenance issues on my old Corollas or Camry's.

If I did not have public transportation, I'd fix it. It's still much cheaper to fix an old vehicle (that at least doesn't leave me stranded - except the one time when the transmission died), than all of the costs of a new one.

Figuring in the cost of gas, insurance, AAA membership, registration and average maintenance costs over time, the truck is costing me about $220 per month.

I've replaced a ton of parts, but it's old and things are needing to be replaced. It's got about 188,000 miles on it.

What it needs now is spark plugs and wires replaced. But, the timing chain could break.

I do still believe it's more cost-effective fixing old vehicles rather than buying a new one, overall. But, you do have to also factor in the cost of fuel, too, if the old one gets bad mileage.

And to put the cost of the truck into perspective, my income is about $700. My rent is $223 (subsidized), renters insurance $10, internet $10, and on average I spend about $200/month on non-food items and entertainment. I get about $170 in food stamp money I can only spend on food.

So, as you see, there's just no room in this budget for saving, unless I have zero entertainment and scrimp to the point of feeling almost like a beggar woman.

I actually took the light rail and then caught a bus to come home from my friends' Christmas party tonight. It took about an hour longer than it would have taken me to drive, but it was fine. I don't think I'd want to make that same transfer in the dark again, as the area was a little sketchy. Turns out I could have gotten off at the next stop and been in a busier area and would have felt safer. But, I can learn these things.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 12-25-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-25-2018, 08:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
When I reduced my driving, I used my car only when necessary -- the insurance was costing $20 per mile, so letting it go was easy. I lived in a city of 60k, and in a 20 minute walk on quiet residential streets I could be at supermarket, drug store, doctor, hospital,bank. There were 5 bus routes, daytime weekdays, which went every where else every half hour. Like mall and walmart. For anything special or urgent, I could bum a ride. I chose my apartment location with that in mid, and it worked perfectly for ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living