Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 09:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times

Advertisements

Wife's daughter recently paid $200 for an Electrician to replace an outlet that was overheating. I could have replaced it for $2, if she just waited until next week till I could get out of there. They turned off the breaker and half the house is on the one circuit, so it was an inconvenience for them. If they waited I could have saved them a fortune. He also tried to tell them that the backstabbed outlets were a fire hazard and it would cost her 3k to replace them all. I showed her how to replace tow of them, neither was backstabbed. She's going to do it herself now that I showed her what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 07:58 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Wife's daughter recently paid $200 for an Electrician to replace an outlet that was overheating. I could have replaced it for $2, if she just waited until next week till I could get out of there. They turned off the breaker and half the house is on the one circuit, so it was an inconvenience for them. If they waited I could have saved them a fortune. He also tried to tell them that the backstabbed outlets were a fire hazard and it would cost her 3k to replace them all. I showed her how to replace tow of them, neither was backstabbed. She's going to do it herself now that I showed her what to do.
There's probably about 1,000 YouTube videos that walk you through that one. I replaced an outlet for the first time nearly 35 years ago with help from an article in Family Handyman magazine. I was really proud of myself!

What does backstabbed mean?

Old 12-13-2023, 09:43 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's probably about 1,000 YouTube videos that walk you through that one. I replaced an outlet for the first time nearly 35 years ago with help from an article in Family Handyman magazine. I was really proud of myself!

What does backstabbed mean?
Many outlets have an option to use a holes in the back of the outlet to allow the feed wire to connect without having to wrap it around a screw. There is some concern that the connections beneath those holes have problems with high current appliances and can overheat and cause fires.

The reality, given all the testing required to pass regulations, is that those where you have "stabbed" the wire into the hole may overheat and cause an open connection, but are unlikely to get hot enough to ignite sheetrock. However, electronics don't play nicely when the power coming to them is inconsistent, so it doesn't hurt to use the screw terminals and possibly a dab of no-ox on kitchen outlets or ones that might have a space heater plugged in.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:11 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Many outlets have an option to use a holes in the back of the outlet to allow the feed wire to connect without having to wrap it around a screw. There is some concern that the connections beneath those holes have problems with high current appliances and can overheat and cause fires.

The reality, given all the testing required to pass regulations, is that those where you have "stabbed" the wire into the hole may overheat and cause an open connection, but are unlikely to get hot enough to ignite sheetrock. However, electronics don't play nicely when the power coming to them is inconsistent, so it doesn't hurt to use the screw terminals and possibly a dab of no-ox on kitchen outlets or ones that might have a space heater plugged in.
Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of that. Thankfully, I've never seen it.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:12 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Electrician here. I have replaced dozens, if not hundreds, of receptacles and switches burned up by backstabbing. Some hold up ok if lightly loaded and not subject to vibration, but these factors can never be guaranteed. A few devices have a clamp where you can still stab, but also tighten down a screw. These are ideal. Some were also "protected" by arc fault breakers, the biggest ripoff authorities have forced on us. This is part of the reason for higher costs. A typical arc fault breaker is about $50-60, opposed to $5-10 for a standard breaker.

Part of higher costs too, are the costs of doing business. Worker's comp insurance is very expensive, so is liability insurance. We all know about fuel costs. My first set of tools in the 1970's was $65. Same tools now run $250-300.

I ran my business for 5 years and had to hang it up. I shut down owing a lot of money and having 5 years of lost income. That was 2013. I should have shut it down by 3 years.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:50 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Electrician here. I have replaced dozens, if not hundreds, of receptacles and switches burned up by backstabbing. Some hold up ok if lightly loaded and not subject to vibration, but these factors can never be guaranteed. A few devices have a clamp where you can still stab, but also tighten down a screw. These are ideal. Some were also "protected" by arc fault breakers, the biggest ripoff authorities have forced on us. This is part of the reason for higher costs. A typical arc fault breaker is about $50-60, opposed to $5-10 for a standard breaker.

Part of higher costs too, are the costs of doing business. Worker's comp insurance is very expensive, so is liability insurance. We all know about fuel costs. My first set of tools in the 1970's was $65. Same tools now run $250-300.

I ran my business for 5 years and had to hang it up. I shut down owing a lot of money and having 5 years of lost income. That was 2013. I should have shut it down by 3 years.
Couldn't agree with you more. I'll leave it at that, since the rest might be a rant on those two products.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:05 PM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
I make good money but I’m not DIY guy due to lack of time and skills. I wish that I had both

Old 12-18-2023, 07:06 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I make good money but I’m not DIY guy due to lack of time and skills. I wish that I had both
Yes, if you make good money, you do better to spend your time at the job and hire others to do what you're not good at. No one is an expert on everything, though we sometimes like to think we are.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:53 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Yes, if you make good money, you do better to spend your time at the job and hire others to do what you're not good at. No one is an expert on everything, though we sometimes like to think we are.
You definitely have to balance the two, especially if you can afford it. I've found that many projects don't take much time at all, however, but DIY can save a ton. Still, that will be very situational. One of my friends saved a tens of thousands (or rather had tens of thousands paid to him by the insurance company instead of a contractor as he did things himself) by redoing his bathroom , hallway flooring, and living room flooring himself after a major flood. He made time to do so and knew what he was doing. But he was busy for a while and it ate up all of his free time for well over a month. I'm not sure if that's a project I'd like to do myself given the time and effort, but there are certain projects I'd have less of an issue with if it meant saving serious money.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:42 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
Same here, but I take a certain amount of male pride in making minor repairs to a washing machine or electronic device, or changing a light fixture. And I know I'm saving the planet by making some repairs instead of throwing an item into the waste stream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living