Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have a feeling that the cost of many services and merchandise in America would be much lower if people here were a little more DIY minded. But it seems that most don't want to be bothered - until they see the bill.

As an example, I was in the car dealership waiting for a part when I overheard a customer complaining about a $500 service charge for having a bulb changed. "I didn't expect it would cost this much!"

The more people are willing to have services "done" for them, the more service providers will increase prices. IMO, the cure for many price increases is to force service people to complete with "almost free" labor.

What is the last project or task around your house that you normally would have called a service company for, or an item that you could have purchased for a high price - that you actually ended up doing or making yourself?

How DIY are you?
You must be exaggerating? ALL that was done to his car is a light bulb was changed, and this customer was charged $500? No way. Absolutely no way.

If this is an actual true story, and the dealership stood behind their charging a customer $500 for replacing a light bulb, this needs to be reported to consumer protection and the man needs to refuse to pay. I would suspect a local consumer watch dog in the media would be very interested to hear this story, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 11:48 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
From mopping to fixing toilet malfunction. Is not that hard. One just need to put in the work and focus, and anything is possible. I even switched an electrical breaker on my own, of course, I had some guidance from someone who has some knowledge of how electric work.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:38 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Not having a lot of income has a way of sharpening DIY skills. The internet and youtube videos make a lot of seemingly difficult repairs do-able. I just fixed my refrigerator by replacing a failed damper door. Cost of the repair? $80 for the OEM part. A service tech call to diagnose, come back with the proper part and perform the repair could have easily run to a total of $400 and a delay before the repair.

OTOH, I had a roofing company do my re-roof, even though I could have managed it on my own.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
We installed a shower panel ourselves. We aren't DIY people and did not want to pay someone. It was HARD because we didn't have experience. We drilled holes into the wrong place and ended up not using the holes. To make a long story short, it sits a bit lopsided and is usable. Water leaked out of it when we tested the water flow, so we had to lift the panel off and then screw the knob to the water hose tighter, and thank goodness it didn't leak again and we're using it as normal.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I fix things myself whenever possible. I've changed out parts on the stove, fridge and washing machine. I can fix anything on a toilet or replace the whole toilet. I've replaced sensors on my van (including one that Honda wanted $700 to change, which cost $15 for the part and took me 15 min to install). I can change brake pads on both of our cars, could replace the rotors and calipers if that was necessary. I can put in a starter, alternator or water pump. I can install a stereo and replace speakers.

There are some things I can't do, like repair the water main or fix some parts of the air conditioner. I have a guy I call for that stuff. He works for a big plumbing/AC repair company and does side jobs for extra cash.

I also can't do anything requiring a ladder because I've got a health condition that causes dizziness, but my husband can use a ladder, so he changes out light fixtures, ceiling fans, paints walls and stuff like that.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
not having a lot of income has a way of sharpening diy skills. the internet and youtube videos make a lot of seemingly difficult repairs do-able. i just fixed my refrigerator by replacing a failed damper door. Cost of the repair? $80 for the oem part. A service tech call to diagnose, come back with the proper part and perform the repair could have easily run to a total of $400 and a delay before the repair.

Otoh, i had a roofing company do my re-roof, even though i could have managed it on my own.
Bingo!!!

I remember when I would find vintage stereo equipment most of the time it was dirty switches that needed electrical contact cleaner. I picked up a Pioneer PL 530 completely not working all it needed was two fuses.
I am not even going to start talking about my super fatty......

Old 06-07-2019, 02:10 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You must be exaggerating? ALL that was done to his car is a light bulb was changed, and this customer was charged $500? No way. Absolutely no way.

If this is an actual true story, and the dealership stood behind their charging a customer $500 for replacing a light bulb, this needs to be reported to consumer protection and the man needs to refuse to pay. I would suspect a local consumer watch dog in the media would be very interested to hear this story, OP.
They call you with itemized estimates before they start the work. If it was for a safety inspection, ibulb and wiper replacement are so common that the labor cost is often posted at the garage. It is probably an exaggerated story since the whole purpose of the post was to segue into the topic of a much broader topic of Do-it-yourself repairs.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I enjoy the satisfaction and independence of being able to fix almost anything myself and I will always give it a shot. If it ends up being something too large, problematic or beyond my capabilities, then I will succumb to a professional.

It’s not only about the money, it’s about finding the right person/company, waiting for an estimate and then living with their schedule and level of craftsmanship. More often than not, my work normally yields better results, not because I’m better, I just care more and am not profit driven.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Search the web.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I'm a personal botch-job in motion.....but I still do all of my own butchering.

Just plugged a big screw-hole in my tire.........probably saved myself 30 bucks and I bought the tools to
have for the next hole-repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living