Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 02:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Great Value Bread. Ew. It tastes fine, but when I switched to Sunbeam, I noticed it doesn't get old even on the counter rather than in the fridge.

And the milk. COVID caused me to have to get delivery from other places. The 365 milk at Whole Foods is not even more expensive, but it tastes better, and has a much longer expiration date.

Whole Foods generic is far superior on everything. Produce, etc. And only pennies difference. If you stick to the basics, it isn't any more costly to shop there.

Just a heads up to anyone feeling like they have to shop at walmart for the best prices, and maybe others have worthless generic brands to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 02:34 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I have heard the organic milk lasts longer from various people. I probably won't drive to Whole Foods, but am willing to try organic. We've had a problem with milk making it to the expiration date on the carton.

Walmart used to have great generics. Then about 15 years ago I noticed the quality wasn't as great on some things. I also did a price comparison at that time. Some name and generic brand prices were higher than competing stores.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:19 PM

187 posts, read 113,595 times
Oh dear, Great Value bread is our favorite. Things we like: it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, it is sliced thin, it doesn't give the husband gas (YES!), and it's only 88 cents. I don't make many sandwiches, but I like to freeze a loaf and take out a couple of slices when the urge for a sandwich hits. A couple of weeks ago I put in a pickup order at Walmart and checked the box for substitutions if necessary. They gave me a Wonder bread instead for the 88 cents, which would have been at least $2 more. I'm probably the only person who would be disappointed by getting a better bread.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:31 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTomato View Post
Oh dear, Great Value bread is our favorite. Things we like: it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, it is sliced thin, it doesn't give the husband gas (YES!), and it's only 88 cents. I don't make many sandwiches, but I like to freeze a loaf and take out a couple of slices when the urge for a sandwich hits. A couple of weeks ago I put in a pickup order at Walmart and checked the box for substitutions if necessary. They gave me a Wonder bread instead for the 88 cents, which would have been at least $2 more. I'm probably the only person who would be disappointed by getting a better bread.
Nope. Kroger brand saltine crackers are still my all time favorite crackers. I've never found a brand I like better.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Any no-name/cheapo/generic brand of coffee >>>>> anywhere, any store.

I am so cheap, but I refuse to buy that swill that is called coffee.....no coffee-taste, usually little if any caffeine and sometimes made with weird ingredients:

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/...-coffee-282-oz

U.S. inspected and passed by Department of Agriculture Made with real cheese

Old 07-27-2020, 07:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Great Value Bread. Ew. It tastes fine, but when I switched to Sunbeam, I noticed it doesn't get old even on the counter rather than in the fridge.
Generics can be hit-or-miss, but they are worth trying. My favorite pickles are the Great Value Hamburger Dills.

Quote:
Whole Foods generic is far superior on everything. Produce, etc. And only pennies difference. If you stick to the basics, it isn't any more costly to shop there.

Just a heads up to anyone feeling like they have to shop at walmart for the best prices, and maybe others have worthless generic brands to share.
That was not my experience. I go to Whole Foods for things like fresh, quality meat and seafood, not generics. I have not been impressed with the quality or prices of their generics.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:11 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's been a long time since I've seen generic processed foods. The old solid white can with the contents in block black lettering, no brand name. Most meat in the meat case is generic and I'm fine with that, except I only buy a specific brand of pork and that is a branded product.

Some of the house brand stuff is really good, some of it isn't. Some of it is good enough to feed to the kids to save a little money (Winco potato chips and sandwich cookies) but aren't quite as good as the national brands. The kids don't care.

The organic milk is ultra pasteurized. That is why it lasts longer and tasted "creamier".

As for Walmart, I've never tried their bread but they make the best ice cream drumsticks, very crisp cones and the ice cream is just as good as any other ice cream novelty and the price is lower.

Most of Costco house brand stuff is good. So far, everything I've gotten from Smart Foodservice Warehouse, their house brand is excellent, better than national brands.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:12 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Great Value Bread. Ew. It tastes fine, but when I switched to Sunbeam, I noticed it doesn't get old even on the counter rather than in the fridge. .......

So, you prefer the brand that is heavily loaded with preservatives.

That's OK. It lasts longer and that is a consideration for a single person household.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, you prefer the brand that is heavily loaded with preservatives.

That's OK. It lasts longer and that is a consideration for a single person household.
Great Value Bread is a superior product to Sunbeam?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Great Value Bread is a superior product to Sunbeam?
I googled it and many people have the same complaint. It's about the sell by date in relation to when you buy it, not preservatives.

I have the same issue with their milk. Even Kroger generic milk has a week longer sell by date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living