Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 11:54 AM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times

Advertisements

I only have the chance to go to Lidl when I am in Europe. I lived on their cheese & crackers, for lunches, on one trip
there are none where I live, I wish there would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Aldi-meets-Whole Foods."

As noted above, Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's while Aldi Süd owns Aldi US. Aldi Nord sells Trader Joe's-branded products in its European stores.

But I don't understand why anyone paints a huge gulf between the two Aldi chains. Yes, TJ's specializes in the same sorts of higher-end, organic, specialty stuff WFM does, but IME Aldi's quality compares favorably with regular supermarkets, and they follow the exact same business model.

And they do experiment with interesting and innovative products. I went to Aldi this evening, and in their bread section, they had net-zero-carb (IOW, keto-friendly) whole wheat and multiseed bread (9g carbs + 0g sugars - 9g dietary fiber = 0 net carbs). I'll let you know how it tastes once I've finished the Dave's Killer Bread I bought on my last trip to MOM's Organic Market (5g dietary fiber, the most I've seen on any bread prior to the loaves I bought at Aldi*) and start on these.
Trader Joe's is COMPLETELY different than Aldi's, here. Not even comparable.

Dave's Killer Bread and Wegman's Marathon bread are the only two brands of sandwich bread that I buy.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:14 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Trader Joe's is COMPLETELY different than Aldi's, here. Not even comparable.

Dave's Killer Bread and Wegman's Marathon bread are the only two brands of sandwich bread that I buy.
Dave's Killer Bread is excellent.

It's also expensive.

I'm willing to pay more to get things I want, prefer or would like to support (like this farm in North Jersey that grows apples for its own Newark cider as well as a great variety of vegetables, including genuine old-school Jersey heirloom tomatoes for $5/pound; the farm has as its mission providing employment opportunities for the chronically unemployed and returning citizens, and about 25% of the workforce commutes from Newark to the farm and another 25% live on it). But I'm not made of money, and if I can find something I think is just as good for less, then I'll buy it.

I'm willing to try the L'Oven Fresh net-zero-carb bread at least once. I'm not as worried about status, nor am I wedded to any particular style of eating or type of food (though I recently read something about earing organic and reduced risk of several diseases that might make me willing to pay more for that too; however, I'm not there yet).

Sure, the stores look nothing alike, and the products on offer are also different. But basically, Trader Joe's is an upmarket Aldi.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:39 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I've never liked Aldi. I just think cheap when I think of it. AND there's the too limited selection for me.
I've been to a couple of Lidl's, and they're OK. Not near enough to me or wide enough selection. Couldn't be my one-stop-shop for example.

That said, I love, love, love Trader Joe's. And that's not my one-stop-shop either...and farther than Lidl. So I guess I'm a sucker for atmosphere and advertising. Trader Joe's doesn't advertise. So I'll say atmosphere, image and messaging instead.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:55 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've never liked Aldi. I just think cheap when I think of it. AND there's the too limited selection for me.
I've been to a couple of Lidl's, and they're OK. Not near enough to me or wide enough selection. Couldn't be my one-stop-shop for example.

That said, I love, love, love Trader Joe's. And that's not my one-stop-shop either...and farther than Lidl. So I guess I'm a sucker for atmosphere and advertising. Trader Joe's doesn't advertise. So I'll say atmosphere, image and messaging instead.
You probably wouldn't set foot on a bus either, but will ride the train.

If TJ's isn't your "one-stop shop," then having one of those is clearly less of a priority than you claim in Aldi's case, and its selection is likewise limited — you'll find more items in any Whole Foods, and quite likely produce that's cheaper too. (I'm very pleasantly surprised by how affordable WFM produce has become since the Amazon takeover. No one beats WFM on the appearance of their produce sections; they have the "plastic" standard down cold. But the produce is also of high quality.)

I remember going to Aldi when it really was cheap. It's inexpensive now. I don't know when you were last in one of their stores, but I really recommend you overcoming your gut revulsion and giving them a try again. But hey, if you have the coin to drop on more expensive food, then whatever floats your boat.

BTW, about that zero-carb bread: At least the wheat bread could benefit from some sort of sweetener in the dough; the bread tasted like wheat-flavored cardboard. I don't know if any of the sugar replacements would produce the same taste in baking (though I understand that sucralose [Splenda] is very well suited for this purpose). I'll probably stick to Dave's Killer Bread going forward, or the high-fiber regular brands, and keep popping metformin.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 18 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

In 1960, Aldi split in to two seerate companies becoming Aldi Nord, headquartered in Essen, and Aldi Süd, headquartered in Mülheim.

In Europe the two companies operate in mainly separate countries, however in the US Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's which it bought in 1979.

Lidl by contrast is just one company.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:25 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I've never shopped at Lidl. The nearest market is nearly 15 miles away through heavy traffic. I wouldn't save enough to shop there.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:15 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I haven't shopped at Lidl. But the first one in my county is supposed to be coming soon. So, we'll see.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I agree. Lidl is better. Although, they no longer sell magnum bottles of wine and the produce does not last as long.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:28 PM

453 posts, read 345,036 times
I love them both. I am glad we got a new Aldi in Livingston, NJ but still wish it were closer. Unfortunately, the closest Lidl is about 20-25 minutes away on Route 22 in Union. I know they are rapidly expanding so I am holding out hopes that either of them will make their way closer to me in Southern Morris County. I even submitted a location request on Lidl's website.

I think the Lidls in America have a bit too much "random crap" in the center of the store. Aldi is a bit more toned down, but is also a smaller store. The Lidl in Union had what seemed like an endless array of small home items which I don't think were super necessary. The European Lidls I have been to did not have as much of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living