Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,330,034 times

Advertisements

no car. hopefully you live in a metro area where you can get on the bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 09:38 PM

740 posts, read 463,363 times
I've been looking for a used car for quite awhile now and the used car prices are outrageous. Might look into something like an older Toyota Corolla. They are dependable and affordable. I would not bother going to a car lot with your budget. You will get best bang for the buck with a private seller. Check Craigslist...Private Owner.

1) Do your research and run a history report on the car before buying.

I used this. Buy the one with multiple reports: https://www.kbb.com/vehicle-history-report/

2) Seller must smog car first. A car that cannot passed smog could have expensive repairs.

3) Stick to cars that are reliable...less repair, less headache...I've owned Lexus/Toyota & Acura/Honda and they have not disappointed me.

Most of the time, it is cheaper to have your insurance under your parents since you still live with them. Just pay your share. If you don't want to do that, look for an independent insurance broker that can run a multiple quotes from various insurance companies to compare prices for you. When I was in the industry many years ago, I often put young drivers with Progressive. Their rates are very competitive for young drivers. But like I said, best you find someone to compare prices for you.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:07 AM

22,450 posts, read 29,615,260 times
I would look for a better paying job. Even Wendys is starting at $14 an hour

Old 03-19-2021, 12:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 1,439,222 times
Do what you want BUT...DO NOT ENDANGER YOUR CREDIT........

Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 AM

31 posts, read 24,855 times
Pay cash for a used one with good dependability ratings, read reviews on the ones you are considering to be aware of any known issues. Buying one in cash will allow you to carry the cheaper liability insurance.

Best of luck!

Old 03-19-2021, 10:54 AM

15,576 posts, read 9,246,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm 23 years old. I just got my license a few months ago. I still live with my parents.

I make $11.25 per hour. I work 40 hours a week.

Right now I'm paying:

Rent: $250.00

Utility: $160.00

Cell Phone: $40.00

Student Loan: $170.00

I'm looking for an affordable used car. Anywhere from $4,000-$6,000.

I'm also looking for affordable insurance.
Get a Honda or a Toyota model with a high reliability rating. Don't be tempted to buy cheaper less reliable models. If you do that, you will pay way more in the end.

For insurance just shop around. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg in the beginning. But keep shopping every six months and eventually you will get lower rates. Find a good insurance agent to help you.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:28 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,332,669 times
Could you take on a second job for a while and save up more money? Maybe you could work some place close by and walk from home. A job doing fast food for a day or two on the weekend or after work to build up a little bit of a financial cushion before buying would really help. After you get a car, you have additional costs of taxes, gasoline, tires, fluids and additional maintenance and repair. I'm not sure what your true expenses and income are so it's hard to give a definitive answer.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
With little or no credit, and being under 25, you are likely to pay about $4,000/year just for insurance, never mind the car payment, and maintenance costs on an older car. That will also cause a delay in being able to get out on your own, which to me would be more important than a car. If you just need to get around town, I suggest a scooter, easy to park, no motorcycle license required in many states if less than 50 cc’s and it cannot travel faster than 30 mph.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:30 PM

871 posts, read 2,118,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With little or no credit, and being under 25, you are likely to pay about $4,000/year just for insurance, never mind the car payment, and maintenance costs on an older car. That will also cause a delay in being able to get out on your own, which to me would be more important than a car. If you just need to get around town, I suggest a scooter, easy to park, no motorcycle license required in many states if less than 50 cc’s and it cannot travel faster than 30 mph.
First, the OP hasn't returned to this thread with an update since it was first created. However, while this may be the case in Seattle, in plenty of places in the country, no way will you pay $4000 annually for insurance for a $6000 car.

You could get a bare bones minimum insurance policy for much less than that. If you are young, without many assets to your name, that's probably all you really need.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:56 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,159,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
You could get a bare bones minimum insurance policy for much less than that. If you are young, without many assets to your name, that's probably all you really need.
Until they are in an accident and find out how bare bones those polices actually are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living