Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2020, 05:10 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,127,175 times

Advertisements

I don’t have cable mostly because (before the pandemic), I worked a lot of hours away from home, so it just wasn’t worth the cost for the few hours of TV I would watch over the month.

Anyway, I have a smart TV with an antenna that I have setting behind the TV. I live near a metropolitan area. My problem is that different local stations will pixelate at different times. A plane might fly overhead. The sun might come out. There might be some shift in the galaxy that I’m unaware of. Maybe it’s a conspiracy by the cable companies to get people to stop watching local channels. LOL

The pixelating can last from a few seconds to minutes, and generally it’s when I want to see that part of the news or program. It rarely happens during a commercial. So, please tell me what that’s all about and how to stop it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 05:16 PM

19,180 posts, read 27,815,889 times
You need directional antenna. Pointed at transmitter. Possibly, a signal amp. Or, internet and good streaming service. Youtube pretty much has most of channels live anyway. Or, they simply stream live.

KISS

Old 11-04-2020, 07:33 AM

23,666 posts, read 70,741,335 times
You could try a directional antenna, you could try relocating the antenna to a better spot, but you may be stuck with it. It is called "multipath interference" and has been around for ages. I remember seeing it on analog TV in the 1950s, when a DC-3 would fly up the valley. Before that, radio listeners used to complain of the interference when streetcars would pass by and the contact arm sparked.

Many local stations will simultaneously stream their news broadcasts.

(A signal amp is unlikely to work, as it just amplifies everything.)

Old 11-04-2020, 08:48 AM

37,778 posts, read 46,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I don’t have cable mostly because (before the pandemic), I worked a lot of hours away from home, so it just wasn’t worth the cost for the few hours of TV I would watch over the month.

Anyway, I have a smart TV with an antenna that I have setting behind the TV. I live near a metropolitan area. My problem is that different local stations will pixelate at different times. A plane might fly overhead. The sun might come out. There might be some shift in the galaxy that I’m unaware of. Maybe it’s a conspiracy by the cable companies to get people to stop watching local channels. LOL

The pixelating can last from a few seconds to minutes, and generally it’s when I want to see that part of the news or program. It rarely happens during a commercial. So, please tell me what that’s all about and how to stop it.

Thank you.
You need a better antenna. Put a directional one outside. "Setting behind the tv" is the worst place for one.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:41 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,127,175 times
Thanks for your advice everyone!

I’ll be moving the antenna around or getting a new one.

Strangely enough, I rarely had issues with an analog set, so when my TV pixelates, I yell at it and ask why it can’t be more like it’s analog sibling. LOL

Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 PM

37,778 posts, read 46,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Thanks for your advice everyone!

I’ll be moving the antenna around or getting a new one.

Strangely enough, I rarely had issues with an analog set, so when my TV pixelates, I yell at it and ask why it can’t be more like it’s analog sibling. LOL
Not odd really. Analog signals just got snowy or degraded slowly. Digital works completely different.

https://www.fox6now.com/dtv-receptio...-and-questions

Old 11-06-2020, 06:33 AM

23,666 posts, read 70,741,335 times
Also, analog originally used to be in the VHF band, which is more forgiving than UHF, used for digital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living