Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 10:08 AM

761 posts, read 316,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think that we need to reflect a little on the context. We are in the middle of a global pandemic with possible new strains and travel lockdowns coming. While we need to stay connected to our families, it is safer to do so virtually, and the money you are saving by not buying plane tickets can and should be funneled into a better, more complete virtual connection with your loved ones and/or the outside world. We need to get through this crisis while staying sane. I'm all for the general principle of frugal living but it needs to be modified to fit the circumstances.
During pandemics people stay home — therefore, this is a case where spending more results in zero net benefit.

I have $20/month cable internet from Spectrum and $20/month cell service....and I’m as connected as you or anyone to family.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:09 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think that we need to reflect a little on the context. We are in the middle of a global pandemic with possible new strains and travel lockdowns coming. While we need to stay connected to our families, it is safer to do so virtually, and the money you are saving by not buying plane tickets can and should be funneled into a better, more complete virtual connection with your loved ones and/or the outside world. We need to get through this crisis while staying sane. I'm all for the general principle of frugal living but it needs to be modified to fit the circumstances.
Were you on a dial-up plan before?

Old 12-25-2020, 05:32 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Were you on a dial-up plan before?
Wi-fi hotspot with more monthly data before throttling the rate will cost more. LTE and slow wi-fi are cheaper.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:54 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I have an iphone because I like it, and a $35 a month Straight Talk plan. I've been doing it this way for over 10 years.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:24 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
During pandemics people stay home — therefore, this is a case where spending more results in zero net benefit.

I have $20/month cable internet from Spectrum and $20/month cell service....and I’m as connected as you or anyone to family.
That is great - if it satisfies your needs. My personal phone is a 5-year old ATT flip phone on $10 unlimited phone/text. Impossible to handle work related tasks with it.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:34 PM

558 posts, read 434,618 times
I still like my landline cable phone that adds about $30 to my Spectrum internet bill. We had it because my husband had an ICD that required a landline. I kept it after he died because I like having 5 phones scattered through the house and basement without having to carry my cell. Plus the design fits my ear best.

That said, I do finally have an Iphone, piggybacking off my daughter's plan for $350 a year. I had been paying $250 a year for a flip phone with limited minutes and no internet. I probably use 20 minutes of minutes a month, but more and more things require internet like Ring and Venmo. You can use a desktop, but phone is better.

Yes, I could get it cheaper somewhere, but this price works for me!

Old 12-27-2020, 05:03 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times
Can anyone suggest the best deal for a new smart phone and phone service? Interested in one that takes excellent photos. Mine is now always blurry and pixelated. I would like to take clear, sharp pics of birds.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Can anyone suggest the best deal for a new smart phone and phone service? Interested in one that takes excellent photos. Mine is now always blurry and pixelated. I would like to take clear, sharp pics of birds.
Yeah, you can go cheaper, but the iPhone 6s+ is still in production, typically for the prepaid carriers, and is solidly built with a better screen than a lot of newer phones, a good camera, and the ability to do battery replacements at Batteries Plus types of places at a discount compared to what you's pay at the Apple Store. I loved mine and really the only reason why I upgraded to an 11 was to get to 256GB of storage.

Best discount carrier can really vary based on location. I had Virgin prepaid for a while but gave up on a great deal with them because they use Sprint's network, and Sprint is utterly awful where I live. If I was going the prepaid route again I'd probably use Cricket, which is on AT&T's network, which is a lot better by me.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I had AT&T for $60 or so with taxes, moved to cricket for an even $30, and now I pay $15 for Mint mobile. Same amount of data, no sacrifice in call quality (probably differs by region).

For 99 cents via amazon you can have a mint mobile sim card to try for a week.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:36 PM

761 posts, read 316,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I had AT&T for $60 or so with taxes, moved to cricket for an even $30, and now I pay $15 for Mint mobile. Same amount of data, no sacrifice in call quality (probably differs by region).

For 99 cents via amazon you can have a mint mobile sim card to try for a week.
I had mint too...can’t complain for $15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living