Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:18 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon this website that teach how to build a HUGE food storage on zero budget. Anyone tried this system?
How to

Grocery Coupons | Store Ad List Preview With Coupon Matchups | Walgreens CVS Kroger Target Rite Aid Stop and Shop Smiths Meijer Publix Winn Dixie Hy-Vee Albertsons Safeway Randalls Bashas HEB Fred Meyer Weis Giant Walmart Giant Eagle
Coupons are grouped by state and store.
It seems to be complicated until you get a grip on it, but lots of stuff is free.

Example for Dallas:
texas_dfw Ad With Coupon Matchups

Last edited by elnina; 04-26-2021 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Lots of work and it's very rare to get stuff that is useful as healthy long time food storage. But it appears to be an enjoyable hobby for some.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I built up mine by

1) making a list of all the things I wanted in my pantry and how much of each item

2) when I started out, I just bought 2 or 3 of the items on my list, rather than buying it all at once.

Once I reached my target numbers, then all I had to do was replace the items I used

I aimed for a 3-month stock. If I'd had room, I would have aimed for 6 months. Still never worried about what I would eat during power outages or various road problems or when I was weathering the flu.

Most of the food items that you can get coupons for, I wouldn't eat if someone gave me them for free. And those "lasts 10 years" packs just strike me as silly for most people.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Dumpster diving works.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:08 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Many of the items are not "food" but cosmetics, health & beauty, baby stuff and cleaning supplies. Another group of "savings" only applies at a particular store and only when using your card from their shopper's program. You also have to be careful of "original coupon" requirement with some manufactures discounts that voids coupon copies and downloads from those coupon mills.

I find that wasting my valuable time coupon hunting so I can stock up on 24 tubes of Preparation H for $2, or get 6 packages of frozen marinated fish heads for a buck, or a 32 count case of super high fructose syrup imitation grape drink mix for a penny, well it's just not worth it to me.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:58 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I stumbled upon this website that teach how to build a HUGE food storage on zero budget. Anyone tried this system?
How to

Grocery Coupons | Store Ad List Preview With Coupon Matchups | Walgreens CVS Kroger Target Rite Aid Stop and Shop Smiths Meijer Publix Winn Dixie Hy-Vee Albertsons Safeway Randalls Bashas HEB Fred Meyer Weis Giant Walmart Giant Eagle
Coupons are grouped by state and store.
It seems to be complicated until you get a grip on it, but lots of stuff is free.

Example for Dallas:
texas_dfw Ad With Coupon Matchups
No desire to spend that much time on stuff I don't even need or ever buy. I have a pantry with plenty of food anyway.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:04 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ I understand, but this is a Frugal Living Forum, so I thought perhaps someone would be interested.
I noticed that there is a lot of work involved, but some of the stuff is not advertised at the stores.
Frugal people like to explore ways to save on products they buy, especially those on very tight budget.
I have friends in retirement communities, and they often buy bulk, then divide.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:54 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Coupons aren't what they used to be. So many of them required purchasing more than one item, plus most of the coupons are for junk food, cosmetics, or cleaning supplies. I used to be an avid couponer, but it really is a lot of work. I now get my news online and no longer purchase the Sunday paper in order to get coupons. Used to be you'd see reports of people getting over a hundred dollars worth of groceries and paying practically nothing, but I can't recall I've seen anything like that lately.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:11 AM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
I thought this was going to be about food storage - like a DIY rack to more efficiently utilize freezer space, or something.

I give credit for the effort, but a frugal diet (whole grains + legumes) is cheap without coupons.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:38 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I understand, but this is a Frugal Living Forum, so I thought perhaps someone would be interested.
I noticed that there is a lot of work involved, but some of the stuff is not advertised at the stores.
Frugal people like to explore ways to save on products they buy, especially those on very tight budget.
I have friends in retirement communities, and they often buy bulk, then divide.
This may be entertaining for folks with little to do but not for us or anyone we can think of. We tried the bulk -and-split but it was too cumbersome. It is easier to ask a neighbor if they want five pounds of limes or whatever and give it away. Plus no feelings of someone may have gotten a lime more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living