Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 10:01 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,105,287 times

Advertisements

If you have excess, GIVE IT AWAY to someone who needs it!
Don’t sell it, give it away. And don’t expect some sort of tradesie in return; you will garner the gratitude of the recipient, however! Local Buy Nothing Project groups are a merry slap in the face to buy-and-sell capitalism on a small scale. You have to start somewhere. Read all about it here, and if you don’t have a neighborhood group yet, start one!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 11:50 AM

37,636 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Nah too many people use this to get free stuff and then sell it.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:39 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times
Yes. I was one of the first 50+ admins. Back in 2013. It was fun to watch it develop into an institution, but I didn't like the "growing pains" all that much so I broke from the BNP and started my own neighborhood group in 2014. Left that group earlier this year to reduce my time on FB, but it's still running just fine in 2021.

I'm now just a member of BNP of a group that encompasses our 2nd home. Friendlier and needier group of people so it's easy to get product to move there. The gifting group I started in our primary home's is in a well-off neighborhood and sometimes it's hard to give away things like from a pantry clean-out or furniture. Both furniture and pantry items move with fast speed in my 2nd home's BNP group. I've gotten some great things in return.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,105,287 times
That’s great to hear, flyingsaucermom!

Old 06-07-2021, 07:54 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
We have 2 local FB groups for free stuff. Working out pretty well.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:45 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nah too many people use this to get free stuff and then sell it.
Who cares? If I need to get rid of something and a neighbor friend can't use it, I can snap a pic and upload it to the buy nothing fb group for my city, and someone will come take it off my hands. What they do with it is immaterial to me.

I admit I am saving the dog crate I don't think that I will need for someone who really seems to NEED it, because they are rather pricey.

I want it to help someone.

But who am I kidding. I will end up needing it! I already had one 'foster' doggo in here last Feb after saying there will be no more dogs.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:13 AM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Who cares? If I need to get rid of something and a neighbor friend can't use it, I can snap a pic and upload it to the buy nothing fb group for my city, and someone will come take it off my hands. What they do with it is immaterial to me.

I admit I am saving the dog crate I don't think that I will need for someone who really seems to NEED it, because they are rather pricey.

I want it to help someone.

But who am I kidding. I will end up needing it! I already had one 'foster' doggo in here last Feb after saying there will be no more dogs.
I agree. I don't really care what people do with my old stuff. As long as I no longer have to deal with it. I could try to sell the items myself, but I don't always want to go through the hassle of selling.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:54 AM

3,026 posts, read 2,244,822 times
I love our Buy Nothing group. It grew pretty quickly, so we recently split into smaller neighborhoods, which is awesome to reduce drive times to pick things up. The kids go through so many toys and clothes; we almost have a round robin of hand-me-downs. I have both given and received some pretty pricey items, and not once have I turned around and resold anything nor have I seen anyone else in the group do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living