Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:46 AM

5,045 posts, read 2,426,051 times

Advertisements

The usual justification for tipping is the servers make less then minimum wage or they should or however you want to say it. So now if the same server is getting $20 an hour and the price of food is higher because of it, do you tip the same?

I feel like for myself I would tip less by the amount of the price hike or more. Many wait staff at half decent places actually make more than low level software developers. Should how we tip change if we are paying full “liveable” wages at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 11:05 AM

107,292 posts, read 109,648,178 times
Many states have different minimum wage laws for wait staff that is tipped.

Here in ny it is a fraction of the 15 dollar min wage paid to other staff

Old 07-02-2021, 12:00 PM

5,045 posts, read 2,426,051 times
[quote=mathjak107;61370136]Many states have different minimum wage laws for wait staff that is tipped.

Here in ny it is a fraction of the 15 dollar min wage paid to other staff[/

That’s what I am saying. With companies having to pay $20 an hour to get people to work is there a need to tip?

Old 07-05-2021, 04:33 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,838 times
Here in NY tipped wait staff, even for upstate where I am now get a much higher base wage.

The theory is/was that they spend an average of 20% doing non tipped "side work" (refilling catsup bottles, rolling silverware in napkins, station cleaning, brewing coffee pots, cleaning them, etc), so as NY raised minimum s they increased the tipped vase wages.

To answer the OP Q, YES, I've modified my tip structure and tip less.

I work just as hard, maybe harder (up to70#-74# crates/cartons) as they do.
Ok, so maybe I can't balance 18 plates of food on my arms and toes, but usually they have another server help, and larger parties (defined usually as 6+) are automatically imposed higher tip percentage.

I see no need to pay them more than I earn, just because they took an order, delivered 2 plates and 2 glasses of drink.

I tip what would make them earn approximately what I do (at another job "anyone can do, and serving the public in an essential position), based on time I'm there.

If exceptional service, or bad service I adjust accordingly.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:32 AM

107,292 posts, read 109,648,178 times
Food Service Workers who are tipped

$10.00 Cash Wage $5.00 Tip Credit in nyc

long island and westchester

$9.35 Cash Wage
$4.65 Tip Credit

rest of ny

$8.35 Cash Wage
$4.15 Tip Credit

https://dol.ny.gov/minimum-wage-tipped-workers

Old 07-05-2021, 07:20 AM

5,913 posts, read 7,032,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So now if the same server is getting $20 an hour and the price of food is higher because of it, do you tip the same?
I have been tipping much more than usual, trying to give away the stimulus money. Many of these folks have been out of work for a long time, so I figure they can use the extra cash.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,891,057 times
At one time, tipping was a reflection of service and low basic wages on reasonable prices. Over the years its become somewhat perfunctory, even to the extent of tip jars etc. on counter pick-ups. It's probably time to re-think the purpose of tipping to more fully reflect today's situation.

Today, it even seems like servers and other service-level jobs seem to think they are doing the world a favor by even showing up. After all, many are making more money sitting at home and collecting unemployment AND stimulus money. Not only is the government welfare state competing with small business for employees, they are encouraging further growth of a 'hand-out' or entitlement mentality.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:28 AM

30,752 posts, read 18,452,523 times
In NYC, the minimum wage for wait staff is $15 once you include the wage credit via tip (the restaurant has to pay at least $10 an hour and has to make up the difference if tips don't add up to $15 an hour). In Long Island and Westchester County, the minimum wage for wait staff (including wage credit) is $14 an hour. In the rest of NYS, the minimum wage is $12.50 for wait staff once the wage credit is applied.

https://waiterpay.com/top-ten-violations/minimum-wage

To the OP's point, I do factor in minimum wage when deciding how much to tip. The whole point about the minimum wage increase push was to provide people a living wage. The reason why many of us tipped as we did previously was because wait staff wasn't making anywhere close to a living wage; at least this was the case with me. If I'm in a jurisdiction where I know wait staff have seen a significant minimum wage increase recently--which undoubtedly is factored into higher menu prices--I adjust my tipping accordingly.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:29 AM

30,752 posts, read 18,452,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have been tipping much more than usual, trying to give away the stimulus money. Many of these folks have been out of work for a long time, so I figure they can use the extra cash.
While laudable, I look at it like these people also likely got the stimulus and the generous unemployment benefits and, thus, don't feel the need to give my stimulus funds away. But that's me.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:34 AM

14,684 posts, read 12,349,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While laudable, I look at it like these people also likely got the stimulus and the generous unemployment benefits and, thus, don't feel the need to give my stimulus funds away. But that's me.

"Giving it away" is exactly what the stimulus money is intended FOR. Stimulating the economy by spending it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living