Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:13 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times

Advertisements

I don't feel very frugal these days. Prices for everything seem to be higher.

I do look for sales when I can, but even they seem to stink lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Other than food, my sister and I are doing a "No Buy August." She heard this somewhere and I agreed.....because alot of the time, I just go to Home Goods to browse....LOL. I love that place.

But we are going to 'shop our houses.' There is really nothing I NEED.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:37 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Frugal to me isn’t just cutting costs, it’s increasing income. I have 9 different income streams and I am retired.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:34 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Whether I’m trying to be frugal or not, when I think about buying something, I figure out how many hours I have to work to pay for it. I’m getting old, so going to work to pay for stuff everyday all day is getting old, too. LOL
I've told my son to do that.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:23 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The most important concept to me for a frugal life is determining the difference between "I want" and "I need".
So true.....once you get that concept, at least for me, there are few things I 'need.'

Old 08-07-2021, 07:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
I always buy meats at the store that are expiring the same day or next day and have been marked down by a few dollars. It then goes immediately into the freezer at home, and I also feel like I'm probably saving some of these products from being thrown out.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:56 AM

290 posts, read 250,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am frugal in some areas and not in others. For instance I grocery shop at Winco which has the best prices. I have cable because even though expensive I get enough value from it.

If you're getting good (or maximum) value from a purchase, I'd define that as "frugal". It might not seem that way viewed as a single purchase, but many times it will save overall. Cable instead of theater movies or purchased DVDs could definitely be a money-saver. It's like buying high quality boots, or kitchen knives. Overall, the reduced need for replacement makes the expensive purchase the most frugal one.

Me? I put window air conditioners in the upstairs bedrooms. Cooling a 2-story house in Texas means spending most of your money (kilowatt-hours) on the second floor. Reducing the air conditioned footprint to just 2 rooms and shutting off the central air reduced our actual electricity usage by almost 25%. Over the last 4 years, that investment has paid for itself many times over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living