Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 04:42 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times

Advertisements

First off I am 73 years old and still working full time but I will retire before the end of the year.

Our total retirement income is $70,598.70 most of which is social security state/government pensions. Reason the social security is so high is I didn't take any benefits until age 69 so the wife and I could live on our social security alone ($4,153/Mo) if we had to. IMO the smartest move I ever did was delay taking benefits.

We have a small IRA where we are required to take $6,444/year and then there's other pensions that bring the total to where it is.

We live in the Midwest having moved 5 years ago from a very low cost of living area to a medium cost of living area. If you are curious the only reason we moved from the warm south to snowy Midwest was to be near family and grandchildren.

We purchased a condo but to get what we wanted we took out a mortgage. Not a huge one but still a mortgage.

If I work until October we would have enough liquid cash, liquid cash is money not associated with IRA's or retirement savings, to pay off the $60,000 but now I am thinking it might not be the smartest move. If we paid off the condo we would only have $25,000 in non-retirement savings left.

Our mortgage rate is 2.5%. Our total minimum payment is $779 but $354 of that is property taxes so the way I see it paying off the mortgage wouldn't be a huge boost.

With the interest running approximately $136/month I am thinking I would rather pay the minimum on the condo payment and keep the $60,000 in a safe account just in case we would ever need money.

In these uncertain times I like the idea of cash and we would always have the $60,000 immediately available to pay the condo off if we had to.

I also like the idea of the bank paying off the property taxes and insurance.... two things I don't have to worry about.

The mortgage on the condo is the only debt we have. We have two fairly new cars that are clear and I do plan on selling one when retirement hits.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 10:35 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
So if you stick to the plan how long will you be paying? When you get to be 80-90 do you still want this debt?

When you payoff the debt & have $400/month or $4800/year to save & invest in something to last forever?

When you sell 1 car you may gain what amount? So you will regain your $60,000 how soon?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:08 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I would keep paying the mortgage, especially at the rate that you have (assuming that it's a fixed rate). Housing is a very small percentage of your monthly funds. To build that $60k back up based on the monthly mortgage savings, you're probably already looking at well past your life expectancy. Considering your pension and social security relative to your small mortgage/taxes each month, I'd use that $60k on other things to increase life enjoyment now.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:16 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,962 times
When I retired at 62 I paid off my mortgage. I also had an IRA and savings but never used them. We live comfortably on SS and my pension. I put the annual RMD from the IRA in the bank. I also cut up all credit cards and have had no debt for the last 14 years. That makes me feel secure. In addition to Medicare I also have good health and prescription insurance. When I got sick and was put in the hospital 6 years ago I took out $40K from my IRA, just in case. I took a small hit (about $4K) in taxes but it wasn't significant. I put the remainder in savings as I didn't need the money after all. My hospital bills were $375K but I only had to pay $1700 out of pocket. Based on your RMD it seems you have about $150K in your IRA. That plus $25K in savings should cover any emergency need for funds. Plus without the mortgage you are getting about a $4K tax free raise per year.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-25-2022 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
With such a small mortgage, low interest rate and low property tax, I wouldn't worry about that at all. We are also about to retire, and recently went over everything with a financial advisor. Our house payment with interest is about $2,400 and the tax will be much more than the current $8,000 next year. The difference though, is that we have been here a long time and have $1.1 million in equity, so we will sell and pay cash for a smaller house in a less expensive area. We are budgeting to spend about $7,500/month, while maintaining a good amount invested but available if needed.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:44 PM

23,263 posts, read 18,777,131 times
IMHO and FWIW, the classic dream about paying off a mortgage may have less to do with the actual final payment and burning the mortgage paperwork, than it does with knowing you can. Being financially sound enough to have the choice is really what that dream's all about.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-27-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Our mortgage rate is 2.5%.
(snip)

In a time of rising inflation, I certainly wouldn't hustle to pay off a 2.5% loan (unless it's an ARM). Why pay it off now, when you can pay it off over time with depreciating dollars?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:47 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
I'd keep the 60k in cash, but any additional money beyond the 60K in savings I'd apply to the mortgage to pay it down faster. I think that's a good compromise.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:30 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
In a time of rising inflation, I certainly wouldn't hustle to pay off a 2.5% loan (unless it's an ARM). Why pay it off now, when you can pay it off over time with depreciating dollars?
This is what we're thinking as well. I recently quit paying extra on the mortgage. We're using that money for projects around the house that are flying up in costs.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
First off I am 73 years old and still working full time but I will retire before the end of the year.

Our total retirement income is $70,598.70 most of which is social security state/government pensions. Reason the social security is so high is I didn't take any benefits until age 69 so the wife and I could live on our social security alone ($4,153/Mo) if we had to. IMO the smartest move I ever did was delay taking benefits.

We have a small IRA where we are required to take $6,444/year and then there's other pensions that bring the total to where it is.

We live in the Midwest having moved 5 years ago from a very low cost of living area to a medium cost of living area. If you are curious the only reason we moved from the warm south to snowy Midwest was to be near family and grandchildren.

We purchased a condo but to get what we wanted we took out a mortgage. Not a huge one but still a mortgage.

If I work until October we would have enough liquid cash, liquid cash is money not associated with IRA's or retirement savings, to pay off the $60,000 but now I am thinking it might not be the smartest move. If we paid off the condo we would only have $25,000 in non-retirement savings left.

Our mortgage rate is 2.5%. Our total minimum payment is $779 but $354 of that is property taxes so the way I see it paying off the mortgage wouldn't be a huge boost.

With the interest running approximately $136/month I am thinking I would rather pay the minimum on the condo payment and keep the $60,000 in a safe account just in case we would ever need money.

In these uncertain times I like the idea of cash and we would always have the $60,000 immediately available to pay the condo off if we had to.

I also like the idea of the bank paying off the property taxes and insurance.... two things I don't have to worry about.

The mortgage on the condo is the only debt we have. We have two fairly new cars that are clear and I do plan on selling one when retirement hits.

You will never be able to borrow money at 2.5% again. Don't rush to pay off that mortgage. Your intuition about keeping $60,000 cash in the bank is correct. You should do that in case of some emergency. If you had more I would invest it, but that is a good amount to have for an emergency.

There is a thing I notice among many old people about having to have a "debt free home". Its much more emotional than it is logical. It causes them to pay off low interest rate loans early when this is actually a bad financial move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living