Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:31 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Do you splurge on shoes and if so, what brands and how much would you pay for a good pair of shoes, boots or sandals? Just curious!
I bought a pair of New Balance sneakers that are Made in USA. They cost $149.99 vs $69.99 and lower for the same brand made in Indonesia or Vietnam. I consider my USA sneakers fancy since they cost more than double what comparable sneakers cost.

We used to buy our kids Sorel snow boots when they were still made in Canada, but I understand the company moved to China a while back.

P.S. I once had a pair of dress shoes re-soled (half soles). I didn't give it much thought back then but they must have been of good quality. Shoes are now disposable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 12:04 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I used to travel for work, I'd often try and buy some quality shoes while in Europe. Wood soles tend to last a very long time. While also repairable, it was difficult to find in the US. On my last trip, I wasn't able to find anything similar anymore....but I didn't have a ton of time to look too much.

Some of the product in higher end stores here in the US is made to LOOK like it has wooden soles, but in actuality they are not. Would love to find someplace that does make them this way though. I've had such good luck with those types of shoes.
This is KIND OF like my aforementioned shoes that fell apart. They looked like the soles were sewn to the show, but they really were only glued.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:50 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I look for sales on name brands I trust... quality. My shoes could be $70-$150. If it is something I thought I could keep for years, I might pay more.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:09 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is KIND OF like my aforementioned shoes that fell apart. They looked like the soles were sewn to the show, but they really were only glued.
Agreed. I simply can't find them here in the US. However, the pairs I did get lasted me for years and years. Maybe more expensive up front, but given how few pairs I needed to buy, it was quite the value, and so much better for my body as well.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Certainly not "fancy", but they're good quality. This is my standby casual sandal. Only rarely do we go anywhere I couldn't wear these...

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/z-1-cla...efv1=M&start=1

A pair lasts me several years, and I wear them nearly all year here in Phoenix. I need good arch support, and these sandals fit the bill. The soles aren't padded, though, so if that's important look elsewhere.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:34 PM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I used to travel for work, I'd often try and buy some quality shoes while in Europe. Wood soles tend to last a very long time. While also repairable, it was difficult to find in the US. On my last trip, I wasn't able to find anything similar anymore....but I didn't have a ton of time to look too much.

Some of the product in higher end stores here in the US is made to LOOK like it has wooden soles, but in actuality they are not. Would love to find someplace that does make them this way though. I've had such good luck with those types of shoes.
Plenty on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/wooden-clogs/s?k=wooden+clogs

Sandgrens and Dansko are great. They ARE comfy!

Old 08-08-2022, 02:41 PM

334 posts, read 537,549 times
I will spend money on quality shoes but will shop around online to find the lowest price. For instance, let's say I decided I would like a pair of black Birkenstock Arizona-Flor sandals. I would go to Google Shopping and type in the name of the shoe I want, a number of stores will come up with this exact shoe. Today (8/8/22) the price for this particular shoe ranges in price from $59.95 with free shipping to $115.00 with free shipping. I of course would buy the same exact shoe for $59.95 with free shipping. I usually use Google as my starting point. Then I will see if I can beat their lowest price by doing some sleuthing on my own. However, you can see that the lowest price Google shows today is 1/2 off! Not bad at all!

Last edited by terraaus; 08-08-2022 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 04:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I think the term OP was looking for is expensive (or more expensive than she/he is used to paying) - rather than "fancy"

Old 08-14-2022, 06:51 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I buy Danner or Merrell shoes, and shop both at sierra.com for the price, and I have some Keen products there. I also shopped clearance Danner at the Danner website. I would encourage everyone that has a "brand" to google for the brand website and see if you can shop there, followed by signing up for their email, so you'll be aware when they have sale and clearance items. I often cross check items for price and reviews with Amazon. It works for me and my family!

Old 08-14-2022, 12:25 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
I just replaced my Mephistos (similar to Birkenstock) after five years of faithful service. I have very few pairs of shoes, and I pay whatever I need to pay for a good fit and excellent quality. My version of frugality involves living with less, which doesn't always mean paying less for the few items I do purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living