Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 12:44 PM

8,071 posts, read 3,980,367 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 12:51 PM

12,893 posts, read 9,148,662 times
Hope she remembered to tip herself and then complain about the driver to get her money back.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:47 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,103,480 times
Needed to cut my grass. Wrote a check for $40, cut the grass myself, cashed the check. It’s that easy.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:33 AM

5,465 posts, read 4,091,820 times
Money came out of your wallet - some went to the restaurant - some went to Uber Eats - some went to you. How is that a hack?

Old 08-07-2022, 07:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,549,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Money came out of your wallet - some went to the restaurant - some went to Uber Eats - some went to you. How is that a hack?
thats what I want to know?

Old 08-07-2022, 09:24 AM

8,071 posts, read 3,980,367 times
Quote:
1) It might just be humor.

2) The question is about the net after fees money leaving your wallet. The restaurant does pay Uber a fee, and Uber does pay the driver a fee as well. Does 100% of all such fees ultimately come out of the wallet of the consumer? That's an interesting question of economics, mostly determined by the slopes of the demand-curve and supply-curve (also referred to as the price-elasticity of demand and the price-elasticity of supply.) It isn't clear. Because the Uber Eats model represents a different market segment with different price-elasticities, it is conceivable to draw the supply and demand curves in such a way that they intersect at a different price point -- that's why you see, for example, ketchup bottles on tables in diners that have a label that says "not for retail sale." The stuff inside the bottle is identical to the stuff inside a bottle in the grocery store, but the manufacturer is responding to different supply/demand elasticities when setting prices. Under this theory, some of the restaurant's fees to Uber go to the driver, while setting a lower price point for the goods.

3) Or, as mentioned in #1 above, it might just be humor.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:11 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,368,343 times
Most Uber-Eats drivers who I have encountered in real life do NOT have a good understanding of basic math.

I was watching a YouTube video of a UE driver in Bethesda, MD. She did a video of her 11 hour day where she grossed a little over $100 after UE's cut. She took the amount that she earned that day and subtracted out the gas she bought and stated that she made $70 that day.

I offered her, pro-bono, to lay out all of her expenses to allow her to calculate what her true earnings. I included auto depreciation, auto maintenance, self-employment tax and other expenses. With all of that included, she made about $30-35 that day which was well under the minimum wage. I noted that the restaurant staff in that area were making over $15 and many had real benefits.

A few weeks later, she decided that UE was not a good deal and found another job.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,837,185 times
Quote:
While this is silly, there's certainly ways to get ahead with Uber Eats by stacking deals and promos... and you'd be limited to only a select few restaurants that offer the right kind of deals that are able to stack with promos. As long as the deal+promo discount is greater than the cost of food directly from the restaurant and the fees that Uber adds, you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living