Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 AM

14,174 posts, read 9,064,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It sounds like a perfect plan for business owners to suffer more employee theft.

The manager orders two rib roasts and then sells the second one as excess food at the end of the day. The kids that make the pizzas bake a few extra at the end of the day and sell them out the back door.

I'm sure it goes on already, but now there is an AP for that.
Since all of the participating establishments are independent businesses rather than chains, I suspect the owners are in on the game, since they're the ones who would have to sign up with Too Good to Go.

They probably see it as a way to grab some extra business that might otherwise pass them by. Now, there is the question of whether they might be cannibalizing existing sales; why should I go to the store for a loaf of Merzbacher's bread when I can pick it up at the end of the day by buying a TGTG surprise bag, then picking it up at the Merzbacher bakery?

Here are some possible reasons why they might not be cannibalizing, using me as an example:
  • I really can't afford the cost of Merzbacher's bread at regular price on my limited food budget but like its quality, so the loaf I order from TGTG is one I wouldn't have bought otherwise.
  • It's as convenient for me to go to the bakery as it is to go to the supermarket. (Neither of the supermarkets near where I live carry Merzbacher's bread, while the bakery is a 20-minute walk from my residence.)

But also, pure bargain-hunters might also not buy a full-priced pizza pie but will go for one at a 75% discount. If they're willing to settle for what they get, then they've got a great deal. If they want something specific, well, then call the pizzeria and order it at regular price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 07:22 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks for this note. I downloaded both of the apps mentioned in the article. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any partner restaurants/stores for either app in Honolulu (where I'm moving back to this weekend), at least not yet. But I'm still keeping the apps.
This is the problem.

I looked at the apps, but they only currently serve major cities.

We are in a suburb of a small -medium city, and there are at least 4 other cities in my state that are either similar or even bigger, but only one city...the big whopper of a city in my state has such offerings.

I've cooked in two different 4* restaurants..two different states, one being here (now defunct)...so I'm very well aware of what restaurants have in unused food, as well as spouse working in a grocery store (and I worked in produce at Walmart).

Food pantries are everywhere here..even in the school systems of the area.

For such a "high/wealthy" country, we have a major "disposal" problem with food.

But it won't matter, eventually...as soon as next year...the government will be controlling the food. It's coming folks.
Prepare now.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living