Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 06:47 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when grocery shopping, it is right time, right place. You have to pay attention. You also need to keep a few spare dollars in the grocery budget for "just in case" so you have the money to pick up that unexpected bargain.

I stopped for milk and the store had a dozen extra large eggs, two cartons for a dollar. I am now the happy owner of 4 dozen extra large eggs, which expire tomorrow, but I can get them used up. Not one of them will go to waste. I only wish I had a really good way to store eggs so I could have bought more of them.

I always keep my eyes open when walking through the produce department, the meat department, and the dairy department. Watching for the unadvertised special on something I can use. Tonight I picked up a head of cabbage that was on sale and I'll make coleslaw this weekend.

It's a sad world, though, where shoppers rejoice because they found cabbage on sale for 86 cents a pound. Pinching those grocery shopping pennies has become more important than ever. It's depressing walking through the store and looking at the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 06:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
I DO want to gt better at remembering to check the sell by/use by dates.
I'm pretty good at it. But want to get even better.

However, I very rarely check clearance aisles or clearance racks for things. If a sign or price happens to catch my eye, fine. (Like sometimes stores will keep a clearance rack right at the front of the store as you walk in.) BUT for me, I'm a big believer in, if it's not what I came in for, I don't "go looking" just to see what's on sale.

I don't "window shop" any more. For the most part, given that I tend to buy the same things, I see if it's on sale when I go get it. That's for food. (For clothes, I go to the sale rack first anyway.)

Old 11-14-2022, 07:06 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
I found a great deal on Monday, November 7th. The chicken breasts weren't on sale, but the sticker said they were packed on Nov 14th. That's a whole extra week of freshness! /s

Old 11-16-2022, 09:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sometimes when grocery shopping, it is right time, right place. You have to pay attention. You also need to keep a few spare dollars in the grocery budget for "just in case" so you have the money to pick up that unexpected bargain.

I stopped for milk and the store had a dozen extra large eggs, two cartons for a dollar. I am now the happy owner of 4 dozen extra large eggs, which expire tomorrow, but I can get them used up. Not one of them will go to waste. I only wish I had a really good way to store eggs so I could have bought more of them.

I always keep my eyes open when walking through the produce department, the meat department, and the dairy department. Watching for the unadvertised special on something I can use. Tonight I picked up a head of cabbage that was on sale and I'll make coleslaw this weekend.

It's a sad world, though, where shoppers rejoice because they found cabbage on sale for 86 cents a pound. Pinching those grocery shopping pennies has become more important than ever. It's depressing walking through the store and looking at the prices.
You can make Easter style pickled eggs.

It's simple the way I make them:
A) boil eggs 10-15 mins after rolling boil
B) immediately drain hot water, fill pan to top with COLD water, drain again after a few minutes then fill again with COLD water and add at least one tray ice cubes, let sit for 15 mins till ice cubes melt
(Makes the shells slide right off after a few cracks around the egg, peel in the cold water
Then:
1)Very large jar that will hold at least a dozen or more plus:
2) 2-4 cans sliced beets, dump all in jar,
3) 2-4 cans , each filled with distilled white vinegar
(1 can beets and juice poured in jar, fill empty can with viy, dump in jar)
4) one big Vidalia size onion sliced
5) whole cloves..1 TBS or to taste
6) tsp all spice to taste
7) tsp nutmeg to taste
(6&7)to taste or not up to you, and/or other spices you like to taste

Fill jar with eggs, adding some onion sliced one can sliced beets and juice in a layered effect and one can vinegar, more eggs, another onion sliced and one can beets and one can vinegar -so beets and eggs and onions are well "mixed".
Leave 1" head room to add the spices on top.

*Any eggs that the white cracks open, allowing the yolk to show make egg salad with or deviled eggs. The solid yolk exposed in juice can ruin juice.

Let jar sit in fridge for at least 3 weeks, to 5/6 weeks so eggs are thoroughly pickled and red beet juice and vinegar soaked well into the egg yolks.
(The longer they sit, the better they will taste!)

Slice eggs on plate, add salt if desired and ENJOY!

That's the way I've made them all my life DE-LISH

these can be made any time of year.

You can use a smaller jar like a mayonnaise jar or quart canning jar..just be careful as you go.. probably 1 can beets and 1 can vinegar.
But for that many eggs the bigger the jar the better!

*Be careful in digging eggs etc put..if you slice egg open with big spoon yolk can crumble in the mix and ruin juice.

I use a big counter top dill pickle jar..like they may have sitting on the deli counter. If the store has those, you might ask them if you can have one or two empty ones if just throw or recycle them when empty.

* You can try apple cider vinegar if you'd like.

*Another idea is to "water glass" the eggs...look on YouTube for videos on how to..you need specific lime to add to water...not just any lime, no refrigerator needed! This was done in the old days to last all winter when egg laying dwindles or stops til spring.

Best

Old 11-16-2022, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Good point. At Safeway or one of our Kroger stores we always stop by what we jokingly call the "used meat" section. It's where they put 30-50% discounts on meat that is close to the "best used by" date, but still perfectly good, if you eat it right away. You do have to take a close look, some may be off-color, but we have never had a problem. One interesting thing with produce, we are used to seeing the "organic" produce costing more, but sometimes no one buys it so they mark it down lower than the regular produce to get rid of it before it spoils. The bagged greens (precut/washed lettuce, spinach, salad mixes) tend to spoil quickly, we only get them if they will be used in a day or two. It's annoying that the "cole slaw mix" is so big, we end up having to toss half of it, you can only eat so much cole slaw in 2-3 days.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:08 PM

1,579 posts, read 951,693 times
You can freeze eggs. You have to remove them from the shell first. Some people put them in ice cube trays or muffin pans.

And the sell by date isn’t the cut off to use them. I bought and used eggs well past the sell by date. I learned something in Colonial Williamsburg a few years ago. Back in the day, the test to see if eggs were good or not, people put them in water. An egg that sinks is good and an egg that floats is bad (gasses build up and make the eggs buoyant). I use this method and have never been let down by cracking a bad egg.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:17 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
^^^ The above is correct. You certainly don't have to use eggs by the "sell-by" date. They're good for weeks after that.

I would have bought several boxes, too!

Old 11-16-2022, 01:41 PM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
However, I very rarely check clearance aisles or clearance racks for things. If a sign or price happens to catch my eye, fine. (Like sometimes stores will keep a clearance rack right at the front of the store as you walk in.) BUT for me, I'm a big believer in, if it's not what I came in for, I don't "go looking" just to see what's on sale.

Just keep in mind that some of those sales, placed right at the front of the store often aren't sales at all. The "regular" price is often increased so the "sale" is just a regular price.
Many stores do that, and i guess it's legal. Better check the prices if they are actual sales before jumping into a binge shopping.
It's called make “rip offs look like bargains”.

Other tactics:
https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting...es-tricks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living