Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 03:55 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but here goes:

So I go to a place that advertises Reflexology Foot Massage. I've read some books about reflexology, and I've had some massages, so I'm not a newbie at this.

The last time I want in, I got short-changed on the time - it's supposed to be a 40 minute massage, but it's really 25 minutes.
And it wasn't reflexology - it's a very soft running over the skin - more like how they pet their kitty-cat. It wasn't balanced, he skipped my right hand entirely, he left me alone for 6 minutes, and he missed almost all the reflex points.

Then he screamed "Tip! Tip! Tip!" after I just paid the posted price and did not leave a tip.
Very loudly I replied "No! It was a terrible massage". I admit to wanting the other patients to hear me - I was miffed that I paid good money to fell better, and I felt a whole lost worse than I did going in.

Since he didn't speak English, I don't think it would have done any good to tell him how to do a better job next time.

They rotate these people in and out every month or so, so I'm not concerned about getting him again, but lately, it seems like none of the therapists are any good and I've been to several different ones, so this is a general question, not just about that one guy.

I'm still not going to tip them if they are not very good, no matter what people here say, but I'm interested in what you have to say about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 04:12 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post

So I go to a place that advertises Reflexology Foot Massage. I've read some books about reflexology, and I've had some massages, so I'm not a newbie at this.

The last time I want in, I got short-changed on the time - it's supposed to be a 40 minute massage, but it's really 25 minutes.
And it wasn't reflexology - it's a very soft running over the skin - more like how they pet their kitty-cat. It wasn't balanced, he skipped my right hand entirely, he left me alone for 6 minutes, and he missed almost all the reflex points.

Then he screamed "Tip! Tip! Tip!" after I just paid the posted price and did not leave a tip.
Very loudly I replied "No! It was a terrible massage". I admit to wanting the other patients to hear me - I was miffed that I paid good money to fell better, and I felt a whole lost worse than I did going in.

Since he didn't speak English, I don't think it would have done any good to tell him how to do a better job next time.

They rotate these people in and out every month or so, so I'm not concerned about getting him again, but lately, it seems like none of the therapists are any good and I've been to several different ones, so this is a general question, not just about that one guy.

I'm still not going to tip them if they are not very good, no matter what people here say, but I'm interested in what you have to say about this.
I would probably tip them but then change where I go. I know that might be easier said than done, depending on where you live and what's available.

I wouldn't be too shy to mention your dissatisfaction with their service, though.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:40 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I would not go back to any place where an employee was allowed to yell "Tip! Tip! Tip!" at me.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:44 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Hell, no tip from me.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:56 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I would probably tip them but then change where I go. I know that might be easier said than done, depending on where you live and what's available.

I wouldn't be too shy to mention your dissatisfaction with their service, though.
If a service provider did that to me, I might tip an extremely low token amount along with the feedback that yelling "tip! tip! tip!" at a customer is insulting and rude even if the service itself was as expected. I'd also probably inform the management why they're losing a repeat customer; unprofessional and inconsistent service.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:58 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

Is there a main person there? The owner? I would have zero issues explaining why there is no tip being paid. And I'd also inform them that yelling "tip tip tip" will guarantee that there is NO tip from me.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:39 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post

There is a high turnover there, and I'm pretty sure if I go again, I won't get that guy.
And he doesn't speak English, so it won't do any good to explain things.

I don't think the owners care. Sometimes they have really good people, mostly just so-so, and in this case, an especially bad one.

so the question I still have is how do you feel about not tipping, if the service was bad?

Old 03-06-2024, 02:18 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
1. No tip
2. Write a 1 star goolge review
3. Only go to highly reviewed places

Massage places are hit and miss based entirely on what therapist you get.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:38 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
1. No tip
2. Write a 1 star goolge review
3. Only go to highly reviewed places

Massage places are hit and miss based entirely on what therapist you get.
I agree with Rocko, especially #3. Research improves successful percentage rates.

To me, you get what you pay for. If you went to a place that has high turnover, that in itself is a major red flag. It also says to me that it is probably a much less costly parlor.

I go for massages often and have found the cheaper ones are very hit or miss on quality. I have also found that the more expensive ones have almost always met my expectations.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:48 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
They rotate these people in and out every month or so, so I'm not concerned about getting him again, but lately, it seems like none of the therapists are any good
I'm still not going to tip them if they are not very good
There is a high turnover there, and I'm pretty sure if I go again, I won't get that guy.
I don't think the owners care. Sometimes they have really good people, mostly just so-so, and in this case, an especially bad one.

Ah. So you continue to go, and as a bonus, you think you not only don't have to tip, you also get to complain about it.

Ten bucks says the owners don't care about you as a customer, and knowing you won't tip, they give you the worst ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living