Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 08:30 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

I need a new laptop, my current one is over 7 years old although it still works fine it's quite slow (i5-U, 4 GB RAM, Surface Pro 4).

However, at home I mostly use my Desktop which works just great so far and I mostly use my laptop for travel. I plan to do a whole lot of longer term traveling starting mid next year when I retire so the most use for the laptop will be starting then trading my Desktop for my Laptop as my primary computer.

Considering taking advantage of best prices/deals and when I actually need to use my laptop the most:

Would you:

a) Buy during black Friday or Cyber Monday deals in November?

b) Wait till Memorial day next year (con: deals may not be as good, pro: new models come out and there may be better discounts on current ones)

Argument for waiting:
until next May (memorial day) means I can put that chunk of change in a high yield savings and get some interest for 6 months since I am not using the laptop between now and then anyway, yeah it's not a lot of money but still a few bucks.

Argument for buying now (i.e. Nov):
Black Friday/Cyber Monday probably has better deals than Memorial day? But models sold this November may be 1 generation behind newer models coming out next year so perhaps more discounted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 08:45 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Personally, I would wait until I needed a laptop.

That said, do you really need a laptop? Will a tablet do?
I don't know what all you plan on using the laptop for... DH and I travel with tablets.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
buy when you need it. Go to slickdeals website... search for "laptop" ... buy something with at least 12GB of RAM.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I buy my travel laptops used. From very high end commercial upgrades. $3000 laptop for $300, wiped, new fast and Large SSHD, reloaded with new software (all for $300). I use aluminum cased (solid & robust) travel laptops. Heavier than I'd prefer, but bulletproof. Since they're cheap, I keep a spare as clone. These are very well equipped for graphics and CPU, as I do a lot of complex 3d CAD. (But no gaming).

Since I keep multiple homes across USA and world, I have a docking station and multiple displays at each home. My laptop is my main machine. My newest version is about 4 years old. Docking station is very slim (this version was for business travelers). Not my favorite brand, but performs well. I have a spare parts one (bought for $120)

Old 10-01-2023, 06:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I wouldn't want a slow laptop, I'd buy sooner rather than later. If you're going to travel with it, it's nice to have a smaller, lightweight one.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I will be buying a $40 refurb Chromebook from Walmart.com.

I would not touch another Microsoft Surface.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:19 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wouldn't want a slow laptop, I'd buy sooner rather than later. If you're going to travel with it, it's nice to have a smaller, lightweight one.
I agree, I upgraded last year and regret not doing it sooner.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
yeah, I think i'll just wait until I have a need to buy. I don't need it at the moment. If there are some killer deals on Black Friday then I may consider buying.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:41 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Sometimes you can get better pricing in July/August back to school than Black Friday. I did not notice deals this year. I monitor Lenovo when I am in the market. The Thinkpads are Mil Specs and durable. After killing a couple Sony's in short order (when they were a thing) I switched to Thinkpads and have not looked back.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:22 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I've been buying them used for ages on eBay. Just ck the seller's ratings, you'll quickly see who to buy from and who to avoid. Most if not all of them will take a full return minus shipping, but I've never had to return one. A lot of them come from schools and businesses that change theirs out regularly, they're in great shape and the good sellers ck them out before listing them.

You can get a better computer w/ more memory and a much fast processor than you can get w/ a new one for a lot less money. Best of all, you can get one with a better OS than these newer, crappy Windows OS's from Win 8 up to the current one. I have a laptop w/ Win 7 Pro, it's got plenty of memory and is very fast, which is good because I use Photoshop with large files from film scans. The medium format and large format 4x5 scans are huge. All my other stuff is compatible w/ it. Like XP, you can customize it to your heart's content and get it set up the way you want it, which is something almost impossible to do w/ the later OS's.

Last edited by stephenMM; 10-15-2023 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living