Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 11:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Sometime during COVID (when it became impossible to get an in-person haircut), I decided to just try cutting my own hair at home, and purchased a $60 Wahl clipper set.

That was over three years ago now; doing some math - I used to get a haircut every 2-3 months (call it 5x per year), at around $20 per time = $100/year. So, that would have been just over $300 to date, instead of the actual $60 - and each passing year adds another $100 not spent.

This only works because I keep my hair relatively short and simple - if it was longer and more styled, I don't think I could get good results trying to do it myself, but I'm fine with that - my hair pretty much looks the same as how I've kept it for decades, so this works for me.
My story is the same as yours except my clippers cost about $20 at a Ross Store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 08:36 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have been doing it myself lately, hair is wavy so it hides irregularities. It's a chin-length blunt cut. I put it all up in a shower cap, release a small amount and cut it to the hairline, repeat as needed until it's all done. You could do it with clips as well. I also have clippers to tidy up the neck hairs.

When DH was alive, I cut his hair and he cut mine.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:59 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I've been cutting my own with a Flowbee (waves to George Clooney) since the late 1990s. I have thick hair that women would kill for, but it doesn't like to be cut wrong, and three weeks is about as long as it can go before needing a cut. The turning point for me was in Florida, waiting about an hour for a cut at a salon where English wasn't even spoken, and ending up with a sorry cut. Bought a Flowbee and never looked back.

Conservatively, since 2000, it has saved me over $8,000, and as importantly, at least 500 hours of my time.

During Covid, used ones were selling for over $400 on eBay.

I have a Wahl kit as well, but it only gets used to cut-in around ears and neck, and shape beard.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:59 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
I pay my friend to do it in her home. She's a stylist by trade but she has to stay home with her mother, who has dementia. A cut and color was $30 but I've been giving her $60 since she moved back into town after having to pay a pro for a few years. It's still half of that cost, and I know she appreciates the extra dough.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:39 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
I color my hair but go to a stylist at a low cost chain. On holidays, there are specials and I buy a gift cards with 20% off and use throughout the year. With senior discount and coupons I receive, I think the net cost is about $25 cut. As a retiree, I only get a cut about four times a year. I tip $10 plus Christmas gift as I get a cut I am happy with and enjoy the session with the stylist who has become a friend. The quality of the cut and style looks highly professional and relative to cutting my own hair at lesser cost, a bargain.

Last edited by Maddie104; 02-29-2024 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-29-2024, 01:45 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I cut my own hair during COVID and it looked terrible. Had to get quite a bit cut off later to fix it.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:58 PM

505 posts, read 258,405 times
I have never enjoyed getting my hair cut, but used to go regularly, especially during my military days and through most of my career. After retirement less frequently.

Then Covid came along and I just stopped going. Didn't take long for my hair to go from fairly short to almost to my waist. Also grew quite a beard. Eventually decided I did not want to look like a ZZTop wannabe, so went to a barber and had it all cut off.

Now I let my daughter cut my hair when she visits, maybe twice a year. I like looking a bit shaggy. Okay, well, maybe more than a bit.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:23 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I do. This was discussed recently in the "Wolf Cut" thread here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...lled-wolf.html

I found this video on Youtube and have been cutting my own hair like this for about a year now. Before that it was always long and straight without layers, easy for me to snip off split ends by myself. I don't think I've gotten a haircut at a salon since the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeq5jyYmcn4
UTube is not getting close to my hair. SO trims mine every four weeks and I shear the sheep which he turns into every week.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:30 PM

708 posts, read 577,059 times
I am pretty frugal, but the one thing I treat myself to is a haircut every 6 weeks. I would never try to cut it myself. I pay 47.00 for it. Yup, expensive, I know, but it's the one thing that makes me feel good. My husband cuts his own hair, offers to cut mine...oh hail no!

Old 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Mostly bald, so hacking-off the bit remaining is easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living