Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:08 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

It's silly to debate a $20 expense. But here's a possible reason,: Someday you will need a passport or a Real ID to board a flight. Real ID is rather hard to get. I know people who were unable to get one. But we're able to get a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Recently had to get some passport photos and the cost at CVS or Walgreens makes me laugh! $20+ for 2 passport photos in this day and age? If there was a platinum award for the master of rip offs, this one would certainly claim the grand prize.

Luckily for me, I went to AAA and got my passport photos for free with my membership, but otherwise oh my gosh. I cannot believe anyone is paying $10 per photo that costs 20 cents in supplies for them to print out.

OK, so charge $4.99 or $5.99 for 2, but $20? These people should be ashamed of themselves for running such a scam.

I know there are passport photo apps out there but I have not tried them out. Would like feedback.
The last time I had passport photos taken (at a CVS no less) I paid $20.
I believe waaaay back when I paid $10 for the first ones.

As photos are no longer available in every street corner anymore, I'll gladly pay it.

Also..it must be an APPROVED passport photo..so "amy old pic on paper" won't do.

Compared to the cost of passport or the cost of renewing (last I did, need to update/renew/ it was still more than the cost of the photo.

It's no different than renewing your driver's license (I just paid $40 iny new state for my new license..good for 3 years, compared to $50 good for 8 years in my old state (if it hasn't gone up more..due to renew there later I. Too).

Cost for my car registration here?uch more higher for 1 year, as opposed to $65/2 years iny old state.

It's simply the cost/s you pay for what you want/need.

And these days with rampant ID theft, etc, they require more and more documents to get ANY form of ID.

Oh, BTW I wanted the Enhanced star driver's license and had all required documents. In my new state here, I was told I was at the WRONG driver license bureau for that..I have to go to a different one, pay more and go through it all again!! Oh, I got my drivers license changed, but it's a regular, NOT an enhanced driver's license...all because I went uo wrong one in the wrong city in this area???
Go figure

Does THAT make any sense?

Welcome to the 21st century!

Best

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Recently had to get some passport photos and the cost at CVS or Walgreens makes me laugh! $20+ for 2 passport photos in this day and age? If there was a platinum award for the master of rip offs, this one would certainly claim the grand prize.

Luckily for me, I went to AAA and got my passport photos for free with my membership, but otherwise oh my gosh. I cannot believe anyone is paying $10 per photo that costs 20 cents in supplies for them to print out.

OK, so charge $4.99 or $5.99 for 2, but $20? These people should be ashamed of themselves for running such a scam.

I know there are passport photo apps out there but I have not tried them out. Would like feedback.
obviously - you got a lot of that... lol.

Honestly - while I agree that on the surface two small pieces of paper may seem like a lot for $20. The reality is that it's not that bad. I recall passport photos have always been $8-$12 when I had them done at the store. This is likely going back to the 90's. Well... $10 in 2000 is about $19 today. So hardly a scam, IMO. More just the cost for something that is not often used.

When I renewed mine last year. I took them myself and had then developed at Walmart. So all they did was develop them - $9.

And as other's mentioned - it's a once in a 10 year thing. Add in the $130 passport renewal fee. It's $15 a year total if you didn't pay extra for expedited service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living