Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.
Well, I have serious doubts that she is buying organic produce. And I do think that we ought to buy organic whenever possible to support the movement to avoid GMO's, to cut back on supporting chemicals applied to our soil, etc. It's an ethical thing as far as I am concerned, a humanitarian issue for the coming generations who will be stuck with our tainted, chemical laden soils.

So, I mean SURE you can save all kinds of money buying the non-organic rice, beans and vegetables, but unless you are poor, I don't think you ought to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think you would have to load up on cheap carbs to hit that budget.

This is what I remember eating yesterday:

1 (maybe 1/4 lb) Chicken breast $2/lb
3 Eggs .20/ea.
milk - .02/cup
Oats .15/ea
Yogurt $1.25./ea.

1/3 lb Salmon $5/lb
1 can Green beans. .50/can
apple, Banana, maybe .10/ea
1/8 lb Broccoli $3/lb
+ butter, olive oil, and seasonings.
---------------------------
Total $5.75 In theory I could have cut out my protein and made pasta, but it's pretty hard to go without meat for most people.
The prices are pretty unrealistic. Where can you get milk for 2 cents a cup, its much more like 50 cents a cup. Or fruit at that price.

Anyway, the total calories would have most people loosing weight pretty fast with that menu. Probably need a rice, pasta, bread, or potato just the calories. BUT the overall variety of fruit and veggies is good

I like reading these to see the varieties of food people use for the menus.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
The prices are pretty unrealistic. Where can you get milk for 2 cents a cup, its much more like 50 cents a cup. Or fruit at that price.

Anyway, the total calories would have most people loosing weight pretty fast with that menu. Probably need a rice, pasta, bread, or potato just the calories. BUT the overall variety of fruit and veggies is good

I like reading these to see the varieties of food people use for the menus.
Typo, I meant .12/cup.

Milk - $2/gal.

8 oz cup
128 oz/gal
16 cups in gal
$2/16 = .125

When I pay $3/gal the price shoots up to .18/cup.

That list was a little more than 2 meals and my particular diet consists of more, but I wasn't going to add in the food I got from a restaurant, energy bars, supplements, or every snack I ate. I was just trying to point out that $5/2 people would be hard to achieve unless they loaded up on carbs.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Typo, I meant .12/cup.

Milk - $2/gal.

8 oz cup
128 oz/gal
16 cups in gal
$2/16 = .125

When I pay $3/gal the price shoots up to .18/cup.

That list was a little more than 2 meals and my particular diet consists of more, but I wasn't going to add in the food I got from a restaurant, energy bars, supplements, or every snack I ate. I was just trying to point out that $5/2 people would be hard to achieve unless they loaded up on carbs.
ok, milk here is $4 per gallon, and my kids use the 16 oz cups too...

And I agree they would need to have more carbs to make it calorie wise with that price point

Old 01-26-2015, 02:59 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
500 a month for 3. We eat allot of crock pot meals due to schedules. Then we have left overs for two or three days. I do include TP/soaps etc in my budget. There are some fantastic ideas for savings here. I am going to start listing them on paper and working some of them, but I am hungry now. Thanks, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living