Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
This does annoy me. The ones with kids are the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I know someone ( college educated) who was a "daddys' girl". She NEVER HAD TO WORK. A day in her life! Trust fund baby. Daddy died years ago..she has spent all of her money! Nearing 60....flat broke and crying "poor me" all over Facebook. Blames her rhumatiod arthritus on why she can't (won't) work...at anything! So sorry..not sympathetic. Daddy did not do her any favors.

Mae

Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
I listened to a relative complain that she was paid "slave wages". I said, "$120,000 is hardly 'slave wages'" and she bitterly replied, "well, practically!" I'm not kidding, those are exact quotes!
Where do I apply?
Mae

Old 07-10-2017, 01:55 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I once had to share a government employee bunkhouse with a middle-aged woman who wasn't employed. She had weaseled her way into a free winter stay at the house somehow. Both of us earned our stay with volunteer work on the house and grounds and patrolling a hiking trail nearby. Fine, glad to do it. She never seemed to get around to her assigned work. I finally complained to our supervisor as the incomplete work kept piling up. She was put on a rigid weekly work requirement and would be kicked out if she didn't comply. She would often ask me if she could claim double hours for doing two tasks at once (like sitting in a truck at the trailhead recording hikers and doing some other paperwork at the same time).

Her justification for not getting a job was that her Jehovah's Witness door-to-door visits were her "work". OK, to each their own, but what made it disgusting were her constant claims that because all "government" was driven by the devil, she could refuse to observe laws she didn't like, refuse to pay taxes or vote. She refused to read a current newspaper or magazine and got all her "news" from the society's tracts instead. Oh but she was also first in line to claim unemployment, food stamps, subsidized health care, or any other governmental hand-out she could sniff out. At that time there was a government employee membership store in the area (maybe the early days of Costco? Don't remember). You had to show an agency ID to get in. I worked for the agency that owned our house so I had this card. This hypocrite was always asking to borrow MY ID so she could get a discount on tires, food, put gas in her personal truck at the office pump, etc. I kept refusing, but she never understood why I was so mean. Luckily she was kicked to the curb wailing and whining about how horrible and evil all of us were and that we would all go to hell.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Someone who's the youngest in her family who makes $100K a year (she's 30, her older brothers are 40), who NEVER volunteers to pay for the bill at family dinners. She makes a LOT more money than her brothers, yet she just sits there knowing she's the youngest and knowing her older brothers should do it. Her parents will sometimes say it's her turn, and she hesitates and then grudgingly does it. Infuriating!!

Old 07-12-2017, 02:56 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
My first "permanent" job after graduating from junior college was as an announcer at a small-town radio station near my hometown. It was something I enjoyed, but it didn't pay worth a darn so after a couple of years I gave it up and went to work in a factory for about three times the pay. The first night on the job I walked into the break room to stow my lunch and saw a friend who happened to be the union chair on my shift. He was surprised to see me and asked what happened to my radio gig. I told him I switched because I needed to make some money.

Later that evening he stopped by while passing through my department and invited me to his place after work for a beer. When I got there he told me that my answer to his question was perfect because he had just been explaining to the people he was sitting with that they probably weren't going to get much of a raise on the next contract because business had slowed down. They just didn't believe that anyone would ever work for the pittance they felt they were making, so to have someone come in and say point blank that the wages they were making were better than other people made shut them up in a hurry.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
My old boss. She cried she couldnt pay my more than $25 a day, couldnt afford preschool, etc and then AS SOON AS i quit ( literally the same day) by a MIRACLE, the boy was in preschool and she had as new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living