Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 06:37 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I have a cousin who was raised by a very cheap father. She was raised in poverty because her dad didn't want to work. Instead he lived his life always taking from others.

She grew up the same way. Went to college for free (she boasts about that) mainly because she had good grades and her parents' income was so low she qualified for maximum need-based financial aid and Pell grants.

She married a doctor but her cheapness just escalated (they have no medical school debt either as they had a state sponsor that). Her husband is just as cheap and an opportunist as she is. On social media she's insufferable. Always asking if anyone has a cabin or vacation home they might "borrow". Always posting the ways she gets freebies from restaurants. She asked people to claim her as a friend so she could earn a discount at an allergy-free camp for her son when that camp is run by a wonderful non-profit that works on donations.

She visited my hometown a few years ago, boasted about their cheap Priceline airline tickets. Then she, her husband and two young children had arranged staying with elderly aunts and uncles (didn't want to pay for hotels) who simply didn't have the ability to say no to her when asked if they could stay with them. She booked a visit with my own parents "around noon", then boasted how they had all their meals planned out at relatives' houses. I felt terrible that she arranged a lunch visit with my ailing and frail parents so I went there and got pizza and cookies but she had the audacity to complain how they were used to eating "healthier foods".

She boasts about furniture she finds at Goodwill and how she sells them for a profit on Craigslist. I know she has millions in investments and accounts as her father would share that with my mother.

My cousin calls herself "frugal" when she posts on social media but she is the definition of cheap. Being cheap means saving money but taking advantage in the process. It means always having a closed hand for giving but an open hand for taking. It means constantly scrutinizing how you can get the most out of people, businesses or even charities while maximizing your own wealth. What's funny is that my cousin truly believes she is superior to others because of the money she has saved.
Money Magazine interviewed the family that published The Tightwad Gazette decades ago. I got the same feeling of smug superiority. Not anyone I would want to associate with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So you're saying cheap means cheating others? I don't think that's the usual definition.
sometimes it means that..not always....it can also mean buying a cheap product (thinking you'll save money)that becomes useless after a small amount of time, compared to being frugal and buying a more expensive quality item that lasts forever.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:22 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I also think that there is another side to the coin when you see people talking a lot about being cheap. It's easy to think that their behavior is terrible and they seem to be bragging about it. Yes. But I think that especially in such a capitalist society as America is, money comes with serious psychological baggage.

So the relative who grew up with the cheap father... Think she was ever treated as though she deserved anything nice? I bet that her father (and maybe mother) complained about every cent they had to spend on her needs when she was growing up. So you grow up feeling that spending money, even on things you need like FOOD, is somehow morally wrong or makes you a bad person. I've known people who talk about saving money and their hustle game as though to say, "I am so sorry, please excuse me for existing and needing food, I ate as cheaply as possible, no lattes here, I swear!" And so many are raised to feel that if you have money it makes you a better, more virtuous person, the more you make and the less you spend and the bigger your net worth, the better a human you are. And the opposite. That if you don't earn much, if you spend when you don't have to, if you don't have much, then you are scum.

That sort of thing can twist your mind, is all I'm saying. I have a feeling that someone who talks that way, does not realize what others are thinking about the words coming out of their mouth. Like maybe they are not connecting "I saved money!" with "I took advantage of someone else's money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
sometimes it means that..not always....it can also mean buying a cheap product (thinking you'll save money)that becomes useless after a small amount of time, compared to being frugal and buying a more expensive quality item that lasts forever.
That is also connected with whether one is able to save money aside for such things or is only barely meeting their basic needs with what they have, day to day. AND it has to do with psychology. Do I "deserve" something nice? Even knowing it will last longer and save me money in the long run, it still feels like spending a lot on myself to get the good boots (nod to Terry Pratchett for the bit about the boots) instead of the cheap ones that will "do." And if you never spend very much on anything, it all feels pretty disposable. You don't take the time to take good care of it. After all...you don't deserve nice things. At least, that is the belief in the minds of many who either are, or have been, poor.

And when I was poor, for a while, I was never far from losing everything I owned. Things I loved, if they had any value at all, must be sold to make rent. Or perhaps I'd be tossed out and unable to remove my belongings (can't afford a truck or a new place to put them!) so there goes everything. Again. You just can't really get too invested in stuff.

It is interesting to me, having been everywhere from homeless to comfortably middle class, to think about my own financial psychology. I do own some good boots. But I rarely wear them. My everyday shoes are a pair I took when one of my sons outgrew them (fast, before they were worn out) and I've been wearing them for almost a decade. The bottoms are blown out, if I step on wet pavement my socks will get wet. But every time I think about replacing them, I look at the $40+ price tag and think, "But do you REALLY need those today? Maybe not today." That's been going on for years.

I don't honestly think of it as frugal or cheap, either one. And I think what annoys me is that I also can't seem to find exactly what I want, to replace them with...I feel like if I am spending money on myself that I should be getting what I really want. If I can't find it, I won't buy anything. I've made do so far.

But I also get extremely nervous about LOOKING as though I might have money, having nice things that others can see. I cultivate an image that I don't really have much, with my worn out shoes and my old coat and hat...stickers all over my car like a broke college student, even though it's a decent and new car. I feel like, if other people in general think I have anything, they'll try to take it from me. I don't think that mindset is frugal so much as it is cheap, but it's strategically cheap perhaps. It is the illusion of cheapness, on purpose.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,962 times
To me it means getting the most value for your money, while getting what you want. For example I bought my last desktop computer used on ebay for $479. It has the same specs as new computers costing more than $1500, which I wanted for editing videos. My wife and I use tracfones that cost $129 each and add minutes and GB and texts as needed. It works out to about $8 a month each. I lease a Toyota Camry every three years. To me it's a great car at a very reasonable price (sticker price is $26K). If I wanted to I could easily buy or lease a Cadillac. People I know have $1K iphones and plans that run $40 a month or more, and $50K cars. On the other hand if I want something and can afford it I buy it. Why not? If lamb chops are $26 a pound I don't care. If my cable bill runs $250 a month, I don't care.

Last edited by bobspez; 06-01-2021 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 01:05 AM

33,332 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I have a cousin who was raised by a very cheap father. She was raised in poverty because her dad didn't want to work. Instead he lived his life always taking from others.

She grew up the same way. Went to college for free (she boasts about that) mainly because she had good grades and her parents' income was so low she qualified for maximum need-based financial aid and Pell grants.

She married a doctor but her cheapness just escalated (they have no medical school debt either as they had a state sponsor that). Her husband is just as cheap and an opportunist as she is. On social media she's insufferable. Always asking if anyone has a cabin or vacation home they might "borrow". Always posting the ways she gets freebies from restaurants. She asked people to claim her as a friend so she could earn a discount at an allergy-free camp for her son when that camp is run by a wonderful non-profit that works on donations.

She visited my hometown a few years ago, boasted about their cheap Priceline airline tickets. Then she, her husband and two young children had arranged staying with elderly aunts and uncles (didn't want to pay for hotels) who simply didn't have the ability to say no to her when asked if they could stay with them. She booked a visit with my own parents "around noon", then boasted how they had all their meals planned out at relatives' houses. I felt terrible that she arranged a lunch visit with my ailing and frail parents so I went there and got pizza and cookies but she had the audacity to complain how they were used to eating "healthier foods".

She boasts about furniture she finds at Goodwill and how she sells them for a profit on Craigslist. I know she has millions in investments and accounts as her father would share that with my mother.

My cousin calls herself "frugal" when she posts on social media but she is the definition of cheap. Being cheap means saving money but taking advantage in the process. It means always having a closed hand for giving but an open hand for taking. It means constantly scrutinizing how you can get the most out of people, businesses or even charities while maximizing your own wealth. What's funny is that my cousin truly believes she is superior to others because of the money she has saved.
The father of one of my college apartment mates was like that.

He was one of the top engineers in his field in the world.

They had a home in a nice part of San Jose, CA.

His parents visited a few times, and his dad would pressure my apartment mate to go sleep on the couch in our living room. His mom would sleep in his bed, and his dad slept on the floor next to the bed his wife was sleeping in. His mother was obviously mortified, but she didn’t say anything. His mother grew up as the daughter of a prominent California rancher and attorney, and his father grew up in a poor farm family in the Midwest. Combined with other similar behaviors, this eventually drove the mom/wife to drink.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:05 AM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Frugal means making efficient use of your money, but many times that turns in to plain old cheap ..

When you effect others around you in a negative way then that has crossed the line .

Like a coworker who won’t buy an ac unit because it cost money and his wife suffers for it

Old 06-22-2021, 06:52 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Nonionic surfactants : alkyl polyglucosides /
Im Armani zum Aldi pretty much explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living