Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I wish I could figure out a way to donate all of it to help out the needy - there are a lot of people struggling around here.

10lb bags going to landfill:

I brought this home the other night (I'm actually getting fat eating all the fruit I've been eating lately - dang near impossible to be on a diet with all this free food):

I am having difficulty DDing in NYC. There were more fresh fruits available in the past. Which supermarket chain are you finding these at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 02:47 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I am having difficulty DDing in NYC. There were more fresh fruits available in the past. Which supermarket chain are you finding these at?
Pm me. It's a smaller chain I don't know if they are in NY.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
NWT Eileen Fisher leggings in a neat black/gray herringbone pattern. Retail $198. I paid $22.

Will be perfect in winter with tall Frye boots, turtleneck and blazer.

Score!

Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
I wish I could figure out a way to donate all of it to help out the needy - there are a lot of people struggling around here.

10lb bags going to landfill:

I brought this home the other night (I'm actually getting fat eating all the fruit I've been eating lately - dang near impossible to be on a diet with all this free food):

I just moved from Central Oregon and there, all of that food would have been turned over to the food bank to be handed out. All the markets donated their slightly old produce and close dated bakery and canned goods.

Kavalier, is there a good food bank in your area? If so, ask them to contact that market and request that the older produce be donated instead of thrown away. The market can even get a tax deduction for donating it.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just moved from Central Oregon and there, all of that food would have been turned over to the food bank to be handed out. All the markets donated their slightly old produce and close dated bakery and canned goods.

Kavalier, is there a good food bank in your area? If so, ask them to contact that market and request that the older produce be donated instead of thrown away. The market can even get a tax deduction for donating it.
It's really astonishing to me how much is getting tossed.

My grocery bill has been almost totally eliminated, and I'm eating better/feeling better than ever - lots of smoothies and whatnot. Lots of fruit - I could not be happier to be getting it all for free. And this might weird some people out but since it stays so cold here at all times (especially in Winter) I have brought home produce of various kinds as well (meats and dairy) that has been perfectly good as well. A big thing of chicken breast that I feed to my cat raw and I cooked up and ate as well. I haven't died yet! lol

Old 06-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2O19 View Post
And the cat still alive lol.
Yeah when I got him fixed several years back after I got him the vet there told me to give him a raw piece of chicken once a week or so because if was good for them. I had never heard that...by my cat used to always bring rabbits into the yard back when I still let him out, and he would eat them, so I guess it figures that raw chicken isn't an issue for cats I guess.

He really likes the stuff so I'm glad I got a source for free.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:14 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Yeah I get that...it's not for most people.

But the truth is...they're probably not a whole lot dirtier than Chile or wherever the stuff is coming from.

Moreover, 90% of the time many strawberries in a pint (or grapes or whatever) are already sketchy sitting in the produce section any way...might as well eat for free (after I wash the stuff, obviously).
There used to be a local store that is a chain, that would place all their cheese blocks, sliced cheese packages, bread all kinds of food out in plastic crates by the dumpster because they knew that people were coming and getting it to take home. That was a few years ago.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
My son has gotten a couple of great deals recently. He bought a recliner from a couple who advertised on Facebook Marketplace. He sent a picture, and it looks as though it has never been used. A couple was getting rid of it because they had bought new living room furniture. Twenty dollars. It still had the armrest covers and the piece of fabric to cover the headrest.

He got a free dining table, very nice looking, from a woman who had to empty her place by the end of the day. The catch was that he had to take the other things that had to go. There were small furniture pieces and an extremely heavy articulating bed lift thingy. He and his friend had difficulty moving that. That's what she wanted out of there. He also got a three drawer chest and an old organ bench with music storage under the seat. I still has the original sticker from the 1950s

He's not quite sure what he's going to do with it, but he's not going to get rid of it.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Just bought a really nice tire-inflator from Walmart............$12 with free shipping to store.

It is digital, it shows the current tire-pressure, and can be set to shut-off at a preset pressure.

So much better than standing over the inflator, watching and waiting.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:21 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Not too long ago I was at Tractor Supply and they had a 50 foot air hose in a retractable reel. Normally they go for $60 and up, but these were on clearance for $8.99. I quickly grabbed two of them and mounted one at each of my houses. Just before that I found a Porter Cable upright air compressor on sale for $149.99, normally priced at $249.00. Now airing up tires is a breeze as I don't have to drag a loose-lying air hose around.

Tonight I was looking for a new tire for this old wheel barrow I got for free. HD had them for almost $39. So I went over to Lowes, where I found one for $24.79...attached to a new wheel barrow! It had previously retailed for $61. The cashier told me it was part of a large shipment of items sent to that store after the large earthquake we had last year and they were just clearing them out now. So now I have a new wheel barrow for the same price as the lowest priced tire at Lowes. Not to mention my military discount took another 10 percent off the sale price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living