Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times

Advertisements

A lesson we all should keep in mind...........

"During the last two years, I have learned the true value of a dollar. Some folks believe that a hundred bucks can't get you much, but I disagree. I believe that quite possibly some of us have become financially de-sensitized."

Hundred Bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
# Buy various flavors of boxed cake mix (when they go on sale for 99 cents for example).

# Follow this easy cookie recipe. Mix one box of cake mix, one egg, and one stick of softened butter. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Using a tablespoon, drop the cookie dough on an ungreased sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes (depending on your oven). You could always drop on some chocolate chips, M&M candies, nuts or other toppings before baking. Each box yields approximately 24 generously sized cookies
Where do I get the free eggs and butter? Eggs are over 10c each, and butter about 50c a stick, which raises your batter from 99c to 1.59.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
The thing is $100 used to be a lot of money. Now it's not, as evidenced by your post.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
I'm also really tired of people telling me about the magic of couponing. Coupons are area specific -- they target. Coupons aren't cheap for manufacturers to produce and redeem.

Therefore, if you live in an area where coupons aren't used much by the population, you don't get them.

I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we saved 10-15 bucks a week using coupons and having the markets double the value. On real food. Buy a box of cereal and get a gallon of milk free. Buy this cheese and get 50 cents off broccoli.

Here? When we moved here we still used coupons, but usage dwindled, because the coupons became geared towards cleaning products and Frankenfoods. With the arrival of Grocery Outlet who didn't take coupons and the fact that our newspapers circulation has fallen WAY off, they have gone away nearly entirely.

We still get two coupon circulars in the Sunday paper, but the circulars have lots of restuarant coupons, Blair Wear, address labels and Checks in the Mail ads. And for some reason LOTS of air freshener coupons. If your house stinks that bad you need to cover it up, CLEAN IT.

I still use coupons when I can, but I can't count on doing really well with them -- so I may get 2 bucks off a week.

And cake mix cookies? Ewwwww....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM

176 posts, read 584,186 times
The overwhelmingly vast majority of the money spent by Americans on food is actually spent for its preparation (from restaurant food to ready-to-eat/easily prepared food mixtures). If you just buy flour, sugar, eggs and various other ingredients and do the preparation yourself, the money would go a very long way.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
The overwhelmingly vast majority of the money spent by Americans on food is actually spent for its preparation (from restaurant food to ready-to-eat/easily prepared food mixtures). If you just buy flour, sugar, eggs and various other ingredients and do the preparation yourself, the money would go a very long way.
All very very true but it takes "work" to do this and most folks don't like that word in the kitchen.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM

61,759 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
All very very true but it takes "work" to do this and most folks don't like that word in the kitchen.
I know people that have nice kitchen but don't have any pots and pans.
I also met older adults that never ever cooked anything in their life.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know people that have nice kitchen but don't have any pots and pans.
I also met older adults that never ever cooked anything in their life.
All those nice kitchens with all that carved woodwork..... two weeks of real cooking in a place like that and who's going to take a toothbrush to clean the grease from all that woodwork?

Yep -- give me a nice streamlined kitchen with good cleanable surfaces.

Last nights dinner was meatballs in tomato sauce. I followed the Barefoot Contessa's spaghetti and meatballs recipe, except I used Italian sausage instead of veal and pork.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM

68 posts, read 206,076 times
Cooking is very simple, but it appears to be so much work. Someone can start with a crockpot meal, which can be eaten over a few days and takes little effort. I think there should be mandatory cooking classes in high school or even college. I learned at around age 23 how to really cook, too spoiled as a child. I also find that doing it in a group, say with friends, a date, or families helps make it enjoyable.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know people that have nice kitchen but don't have any pots and pans....

I know lots of folks like that...the reason is, the top catering companies around here won't accept you as a customer unless your kitchen is equipped a certain way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living