Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Here in Australia, we have a digitised newspaper system called Trove. Up until last year, it was mainly the capital city and national papers up to the mid 1950s. Last week, I just went look something up unrelated to genealogy and noticed that they have vastly increased their digitised newspaper selections, including a newspaper very close to the very small town where ancestors have resided for over 150 years. By filtering just this newspaper and also the surname of ancestors and the name of the very small town, I've managed to find a lot of obituaries and articles about grandparents/great grandparents etc. This newspaper also had a correspondent from the town so I could read about what events are on and when. Some of the gems found are an article about my greatgrandparents wedding and an article about my greatgrandmother's early death.
Color me green with envy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Just found my MIL's missing grandmother, who apparently remarried in Massachusetts as a widow - when her husband was still living in New York!

I was not looking for her - just serendipity.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Not a discovery that I can incorporate into my own lines, but one that came from a request from my sister. She asked me to research the family tree for her youngest daughter's father. Turns out that the family is part of the Clopton line, which seems to have historical merit

CLOPTON FAMILY ASSOCIATION

I passed it to my sister as a "hey, this is kinda neat" notation, only to receive a big thank you card and very sweet letter from my niece. Sister later explained that her daughter, who is on the autistic spectrum, is having a hard time entering puberty with that condition. I never knew that my niece is a history nerd, kinda like me, and providing her with an interest to which she has applied many hours of research is helping her, emotionally. I guess as a way of taking her mind off the realization that she has issues relating to people at a stage where it will become more important.

I got kind of blubbery about that .

Having so many nieces and nephews, from both mine and Spouse's sides, I have never taken an interest in any one particular kid, but my Sister said that Niece was looking forward to my visit later this fall. I was informed that she has lots of pictures and text to show me. That sent both my sister and I into even more blubbering

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Found out that my grandfather, who was born in the Caribbean and spoke three languages, was also fluent in a fourth - Yiddish.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM

363 posts, read 514,316 times
Discovered a distant immigrant ancestor arrived at a MA port in 1636...2 miles away from the same hospital I was born. Seems eerie.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Not a discovery that I can incorporate into my own lines, but one that came from a request from my sister. She asked me to research the family tree for her youngest daughter's father. Turns out that the family is part of the Clopton line, which seems to have historical merit

CLOPTON FAMILY ASSOCIATION

I passed it to my sister as a "hey, this is kinda neat" notation, only to receive a big thank you card and very sweet letter from my niece. Sister later explained that her daughter, who is on the autistic spectrum, is having a hard time entering puberty with that condition. I never knew that my niece is a history nerd, kinda like me, and providing her with an interest to which she has applied many hours of research is helping her, emotionally. I guess as a way of taking her mind off the realization that she has issues relating to people at a stage where it will become more important.

I got kind of blubbery about that .

Having so many nieces and nephews, from both mine and Spouse's sides, I have never taken an interest in any one particular kid, but my Sister said that Niece was looking forward to my visit later this fall. I was informed that she has lots of pictures and text to show me. That sent both my sister and I into even more blubbering
Wow! We never know how we may affect someone, and often never know it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Discovered a distant immigrant ancestor arrived at a MA port in 1636...2 miles away from the same hospital I was born. Seems eerie.
Seems cool, too, tho.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Out of curiosity, I verified my oldest American roots: Massachusetts Bay, 1633 (English) and Darien, GA 1736 (Scottish). It took about two hours to line up the dots, all on the internet, for free. I'm done.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Out of curiosity, I verified my oldest American roots: Massachusetts Bay, 1633 (English) and Darien, GA 1736 (Scottish). It took about two hours to line up the dots, all on the internet, for free. I'm done.
How did you verify them? Hopefully not with other people's trees.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
My genealogy fanatic cousin as informed me that we are eligible for membership in the "Royal Order of Bastards'' as it seems we are kin to a king who fooled around with his subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy