Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 04:38 PM

12 posts, read 23,205 times

Advertisements

I'm from Louisiana. I'm 75% West African and the rest is european blood, south asian and north african. On Ancestry I have at least 30 or more distant cousins who are of Cajun decent from 18 cm to 8 cm. They all seem to be descended from the same ancestors and have surnames like Broussard, Landry, Guidry, Trahan, Beaulieu, Savoie, Hebert ect. Most of them have French blood and some are 100% French and I have no French blood. I have not found any Cajun ancestors in my tree. Can someone tell me how I maybe related to them?

Also when I click on my Cajun relatives shared matches, I always see the same two relatives that shows up as a shared match. What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
8-18 cM is a pretty distant relation. It could be 6-7 generations back and maybe not a direct ancestor.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:50 AM

95 posts, read 101,360 times
You don't have to show French ethnicity on Ancestry.com to have distant French ancestors. I manage my cousin's kit. She is 1/16 French Canadian and her uncles are 1/8. None of them show any French ethnicity though they have quite a few French Canadian DNA matches and their trees can be traced through Quebec back to France. European ethnicities especially those from neighboring countries can be difficult to distinguish from one another.

Ancestry has some very useful features for finding common ancestors. I would start by searching your DNA matches for everyone with the names you mentioned in your post. You might get lucky and notice a common ancestor between a few of them in their trees. This is how I found two non-paternal events in my background though in my case I shared over 20 cMs with descendants of the common ancestors. In addition I had my cousin's kit to analyze and eventually I worked with two adopted descendants of the common ancestors to confirm my hypothesis.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
I imagine there's a lot of endogamy in the Cajun population so if you have relatives who have Cajun ancestry on a branch they don't share with you, they will likely still share Cajun ancestors with each other, even if it has nothing to do with you.

That said, you can't base your ancestry off the DNA ethnicity report, it's just not reliable enough, especially the French population. Given that you're from Louisiana so I assume you have ancestry there too, it's certainly not impossible you have Cajun ancestry. Identify the specific Cajun ancestors your matches share with each other (not just surnames), and build a tree for them, see if it intersects with yours in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
Also when I click on my Cajun relatives shared matches, I always see the same two relatives that shows up as a shared match. What does that mean?
It means they share DNA with each other.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:03 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
I'm from Louisiana. I'm 75% West African and the rest is european blood, south asian and north african. On Ancestry I have at least 30 or more distant cousins who are of Cajun decent from 18 cm to 8 cm. They all seem to be descended from the same ancestors and have surnames like Broussard, Landry, Guidry, Trahan, Beaulieu, Savoie, Hebert ect. Most of them have French blood and some are 100% French and I have no French blood. I have not found any Cajun ancestors in my tree. Can someone tell me how I maybe related to them?

How far back in your ancestry do you go? You probably would need to go back to mid 1700's and the expulsion of Acadians from the Nova Scotia region. Not all ended up in Louisiana. Some ended up elsewhere in the American colonies, some were expelled back to France as a great something uncle was and others escaped to Quebec like my some of my ancestors. If you always see the two relatives that show up as a shared match they are most likely your ancestors as well.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:40 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times
I'm not African American, but I have African American cousins in the 8-20 cM range. Same for Hispanic cousins. There's an ancestor somewhere that connects. The challenge is finding that one.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:35 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
It's also possible your share an ancestor with these Cajuns, but your shared ancestor wasn't Cajun, but rather Scottish, Spanish, African American, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy