Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,847 times

Advertisements

My name is Janice. I was born July 8, 1961 and lived at Deering road, Mattapan Ma. My moms name was Dianne Kenney. My mom went to Hyde Park High school later on and moved to Jamaica Plain. Maiden name Patrick. I was raised in a family with a step dad named John Kenney. Both parents have passed away. I am the one of six children. I am not interested in hurting anyone or looking for rewards. I do know and believe in my heart that my dad is a beautiful man. I hope that if you know him or you are reading this, to possibly meet me and give me a hug. I would like to see what you look like, see your smile, hug you back, say thank you and that I am grateful that I am your daughter. Now that my mom and step dad have passed I believe this is a good time to reach out. I am not interested in breaking up families. This can be just between you and I. We do not even have to meet a second time. It would be nice to know you so I can have closure in my heart. My stepdad was not a dad for me. Sad however, yet my biological dads genetic make-up gift kept me safe and always was with me. Your strength was incredible in my heart and is and will always be. In closing if anyone can help I would be humbly grateful!! If my dad is reading this and chooses not to respond, it is okay, I can except your choice. Janice loves you and always will. Thank you for a part of you no matter what the circumstances were. I forgive you!!❤️ If you have passed on, Eternal be your memory. Contact me at janicegiannarikas@yahoo.com or

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-20-2022 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Phone number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 11:51 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Were your birth parents ever married? Do you have any idea what your birth fathers name is?

If the answer to those is no.. I'd probably recommend doing both Ancestry and 23andme testing. Unfortunately, if your mother has passed away.. That will make things difficult, because when you have ONE parent who has tested, 23andme and Ancestry will show you which side of the family a match is from.

But, you could, if you have an aunt or the like from your mothers side still alive, have THEM test, and link them as your mother. That.. Should get you pretty accurate distinction between the sides of the family

My mother was adopted.. Both parents are still alive, but she has no interest in finding her birth parents. Gave me the OK if I wanted to find out, but she didn't want to be involved, so, she wouldn't do the DNA testing, but my dad did, and with that, I was able to locate her birth parents. Both were in graveyards, but.. Found them.

If you DO know his name. I'd probably start with FindAGrave. While that won't tell you for certain if he's alive or not, it's a good resource to start with. If he's not on there, the odds are better that he might still be alive.

As far as a relationship.. That just all depends on you and him. When i found my mothers relatives.. The ones from her dad's side really weren't all that interested. The ones from my mothers side had actually been looking for others. There had been 2 sisters, one had given 3 or 4 kids up for adoption.. They were looking for those kids. I came along and shocked them because they then found out that the OTHER sister had also given a child up for adoption that they knew nothing about. They had a relative still living who was around in that time who confirmed the story. We had actually planned to meet up before the pandemic started, and still have plans to once things settle down a bit.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:28 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
This would seem to be a more appropriate forum to make your post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 01-15-2022, 05:13 AM

Default Looking for my dad. No name and not married to my mom.

My dad may not even know he is my dad. My mom would never disclose who he was or any family member.
There are no family members who will come forward. A non family member disclosed a possible match, yet he was banished from speaking up and has passed away. He is a mystery!! Maybe me as well?
Thank you!

Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice giannarikas View Post
My dad may not even know he is my dad. My mom would never disclose who he was or any family member.
There are no family members who will come forward. A non family member disclosed a possible match, yet he was banished from speaking up and has passed away. He is a mystery!! Maybe me as well?
Thank you!
Get a DNA test and use ancestry. You may have family that has already tested. Maybe one or more of your mother's and father's relatives have taken the test. You don't know who may pop up.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice giannarikas View Post
Thank you!
My husband has a cousin that was looking for her birth parents & she found her mother thru AncestryDNA test. We were able to help narrow it down to which cousin in his family that was most likely her mother. Turns out we were spot on.

So the one that passed on hopefully gave you some clues where to look. The DNA test will help even more

Old 01-16-2022, 07:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Thousands of people have been able to identify unknown fathers through mail-in saliva DNA tests, especially AncestryDNA and 23andMe. You should give it a shot.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the great tip.
Best,
Janice

Old 02-20-2022, 12:36 AM

752 posts, read 1,493,112 times
Janice,
I think at this point your best bet will be a DNA test and linking that test to genealogy sites such as Ancestry.com, 23andme and such. I would definitely consider this!
Since you say that it is possible your biological father is unaware he has you as a child, this is going to be a good option. I take it your mom's family are of Irish heritage? (I grew up in Mission Hill part of my childhood so I am familiar with your area).
After you get that DNA test and plug it into a couple of sites (23andMe and Ancestry are two very popular) you are likely to get at least some sort of result. While it might not give you a direct answer as to your biological father, it very well might point you in the right direction.
I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted if you wish.
If you have any questions about this, feel free to message me.

Austin

Old 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Hi Janice, the only way you will find your fathers family is by DNA like the others have said. Depending on your mothers age when you were born, it could have been someone at her high school or college. You do not have a name, it's a wild goose chase.

Ancestry will go on sale for $59 or you can buy a test as cheap as $32 on ebay. Ancestry has the largest DNA database, you need to test there first. When the DNA is done processing, come back here, we will tell you how to save your family tree and DNA RAW data to upload for free to my heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch to see if you match anyone at those. They are free. My Heritage charges $29 to see ethnicity, common matches, family trees of matches and surnames. Depending on what type of matches you have, you may or may not need to pay it.

If you have not found a good lead from those 4, you do 23 and me on black Friday when the health goes $99 sale.

If you are on facebook, there is a group called DNA detectives where people will help you with your DNA matches for free.

Please get started by buying an Ancestry DNA test. You would be blown away by how many people have found their fathers who also did not know about them. Some are receptive and some not. Watch the show long lost family. You will see how many people have been solved because the show did ancestry DNA. I don't want to give you false hope but the chances his family is there is good unless he was an immigrant. Then my heritage may give you the result, they're world wide. My parents were immigrants.

Also, please keep your city-data account current with a good email because if your father happens to google your mothers name, he will find this thread.

Your thread could go to people search but I feel it is better here since you do not know his name. We can help you with your DNA test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy