Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 02:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't have Tier1 tools on GEDmatch so I don't know what their triangulation tool is doing. So you're right, I don't understand what you posted.
I'm struggling to understand it too, maybe also because I don't use Tier1, but maybe if we could see a screenshot instead, that might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 07:13 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Is it possible for you to do more research on your genealogy? I don't understand what you mean when you say your family "got away from its lineage" so that you don't know its name. It sounds like you're grasping at something that is a family legend. If you are Spanish with some Maghrebi you may be matching other people with the same ancestry, and some of them may be descendants of some "noble lineage" and that's to be expected, but it doesn't mean you also descend from the same lineage. You might all descend from some other common ancestor.

So those segments between 7 cM and 9.2 cM, even if they are valid, they don't indicate you all share the noble lineage. Since you are very focused on that one lineage, you may be missing other ways these people might be interrelated.

Last edited by aries63; 01-16-2022 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 07:00 AM

9 posts, read 4,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Is it possible for you to do more research on your genealogy?
I already do research in classical genealogy. I can't talk about everything I do in one post, the text will be too long and nobody will read it. At the moment, I am only talking about one specific case (this woman), among others that I am studying.

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean when you say your family "got away from its lineage" so that you don't know its name. It sounds like you're grasping at something that is a family legend. If you are Spanish with some Maghrebi you may be matching other people with the same ancestry, and some of them may be descendants of some "noble lineage" and that's to be expected, but it doesn't mean you also descend from the same lineage. You might all descend from some other common ancestor.
My family has moved away from his lineage as we have changed our last name several times. My current last name is not my real name. And in the story I learned that 2 things caused the name to change. My ancestors were persecuted and forced to scatter all over Morocco, including a migration to Andalusia. To protect themselves from persecution, there were name changes to dissociate the families between them. Colonialism in the Maghreb also has its share of responsibility because the settlers of the time gave new names to families, which confused things even more. This is why many Maghrebi families have lost their history, their lineage following this change of name. Sorry if it's long, I can't go into details, but it's something very well known in the Maghreb. It is not possible to relate all these things in one post, it will be too long. I have met a lot of matchs in MyHeritage and Gedmatch who have changed their name. But some real lineage names have remained intact. There are even associations that have been created to bring together these scattered families.
For the common ancestor, I know the tree of this woman and others. If I have a connection with this woman, it's easy for me to know where is the common ancestor, if I have a real connection. That is the object of this thread (real connection or not). And if I have connection with others that I have also their trees, I will be able to cross-check.

Quote:
So those segments between 7 cM and 9.2 cM, even if they are valid, they don't indicate you all share the noble lineage. Since you are very focused on that one lineage, you may be missing other ways these people might be interrelated.
I don't just focus on this one woman. As I said above, I can't tell everything I do in all my genealogical work, my post will be dozens of pages long, nobody will read it. I can talk about my other matches if you want, but I don't want to bother you anymore.
My methodology is as follows:
1. Show that for each match, there is a REAL connection.
2. Try to determine the MRCA when possible.
3. Get me their family tree to cross-reference them and try to find something.

I have about ten cases that I am currently studying.

And for this case, I only want to know if I have a common ancestry or not, only. Then I will study other cases.

Last edited by Switch75; 01-17-2022 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-17-2022, 11:14 AM

I think it will be difficult for you to isolate a single lineage with your method unless you have closer matches than what you've found so far. The reason you have only small segments in common with these matches could be because of endogamy. The matches are too distant to be useful. They are probably called "low confidence" matches in MyHeritage. The family trees of your matches may be inaccurate, especially with the tumultuous history you described.

The matching is not always black and white, "real" or not real. There is a gray area of marginal matches which may or may not be real. The matches you described seem to be in that gray area.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:43 AM

ok thanks for your reply!
I don't have low confidence with these matchs. For this woman is "average confidence level" in MyHeritage. But for me, it's not significant because with an average or low level, the segment can be true, so we don't know.

Last edited by Switch75; 01-17-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 02:25 PM

It would help if you could test more of your known relatives, like 2nd cousins, from which you can build a foundation. That would at least confirm a set of great-grandparents. I had to buy tests for several potential relatives to help me narrow my search. You can start your own family DNA project. There aren't enough Maghrebis tested to be useful for your search.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 PM

yes, agree with you! I will do that!

I forgot one thing for the endogamy : The probability of endogamy in my family for 200 years is less than before this period. The family of my mother and father are from differents tribes (north for my mother, south for my father) for 200 years (I know my filiation for this period). But there was so much mixing in this country, it's hard to tell and to be categoric about that. But before 200 years, sincerely I don't know.

Thanks for your help! Good luck for your future and much love! Peace!

Old 01-19-2022, 07:22 PM

As you know, the majority of people who buy DNA tests are Americans, so the tests are most useful for them. They are very likely to find close relatives who have also tested, and confirm several lineages from their family tree.

Other populations are far less or very little tested, and in that case it can be impossible to work with your results. You may find some Americans with Maghrebi ancestors who have tested, or maybe some Spanish. I don't know how popular DNA tests are with this population, or if they tend to prefer one DNA company over the others.

Good luck, and I hope with time you find the answers you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy