Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. But that wouldn't help unless someone in that branch had also done it, would it?
You will never know if you do not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 07:06 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Easy. Who were John Porter and Elinor Durier of Carrolton Maryland, parents of John II, Henry, and Moses Porter?

No records of this man or woman exist. We have doubts the names were passed down correctly (Y-DNA confirms male-line descendants of all three of the sons listed above share the same Y-haploid group), and researchers have been looking for any documentation of their life for about 100 years. I am only the latest to be defeated by the chase.

(Note, there are ALOT of John Porters in early colonial history, several in Maryland alone, but none are "our guy" for many reasons, including religion, the Y-testing, and paper trials that confirm these men to be the sons or fathers of other families.)

Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
I'm an American Descendent of Slavery with a Scottish last name. My DNA results report 20% Scottish, the only European admixture (all else is African). Family story is that a great-great-grandfather Kirk actually married a free black woman and legally gave her his name, but the farthest back I've found in record was a great-grandfather listed in the census as "mulatto." That seems to verify the old family story.

I'd like to find a link to the white man named "Kirk" and any descendants on the white side of the tree.
Have you checked registries that show slave owners? There could be a surname of Kirk. I would prefer the softer side of a free black woman myself, sadly we know that the other option can be true as well.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:37 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you done Y DNA?
Is Y-dna testing the same as 23andMe paternal haplogroup?

Old 02-22-2022, 08:41 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
I'm an American Descendent of Slavery with a Scottish last name. My DNA results report 20% Scottish, the only European admixture (all else is African). Family story is that a great-great-grandfather Kirk actually married a free black woman and legally gave her his name, but the farthest back I've found in record was a great-grandfather listed in the census as "mulatto." That seems to verify the old family story.

I'd like to find a link to the white man named "Kirk" and any descendants on the white side of the tree.

I've actually got the opposite problem. I'm 90% European with like 3% of Sub-Saharan African, Pacific Islander and Native American.

My mother was adopted, but tracking her family back(I've found her parents through DNA testing), there's a dead end at her maternal grandfather who did the old "Going out for a pack of smokes" trick. We know it came from that side because I had others from her mother and fathers side tested, and it certainly comes from her mothers side.

I suspect her grandfathers' parents or grandparents.. Somewhere in that range, one of them was mixed race.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
No, a proper Y test will include Y matches (people who match you on the Y chromosome, meaning they match you much more closely than simply sharing a haplogroup).

Old 02-22-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
No. It tests the Y chromosome, the one that every male gets from his father, who got it from his father, who got it from his father ... Haplogroups are related but tell more about distant ancestry.

Men who share a Y chromosome share a male ancestor somewhere back in time.

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...0the%20results.

Haplogoups:

https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog/dna-haplogroup

Old 02-22-2022, 11:19 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Who offers y-dna testing and matching? I have paternal haplogroup results from 23andMe.

The biggest mystery in my family tree for me right now is, who was the true father of my paternal grandfather? He was adopted as an infant to a family, but there are hints that maybe someone in the adoptive(?) family was the true father.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:33 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Who offers y-dna testing and matching? I have paternal haplogroup results from 23andMe.

The biggest mystery in my family tree for me right now is, who was the true father of my paternal grandfather? He was adopted as an infant to a family, but there are hints that maybe someone in the adoptive(?) family was the true father.
That's similar to the mystery that my wife hopes to determine. Her father was a very fair-skinned black man who never knew his parents. He had been raised by a white family, not quite like a son...more like a pet. But they fed him and gave him a place to live.

He told the story that when he was sixteen, an acquaintance of that man made note that my FIL was the spirit-and-image of the man. The very next day, the man took him to the Army recruiter and signed him up...which was the last time he saw them.

The family suspicion is that the man actually was my FIL's biological father. That's something my wife would like to find out for sure.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:

FTDNA:

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna

There may be sales that reduce the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy