Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 11:21 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times

Advertisements

Link:

https://blog.myheritage.com/2022/03/...2Knv7eIBrS7YxY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

Glad you caught it, I keep forgetting to post it.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:28 PM

1,866 posts, read 842,234 times
i didnt like "my hertiage," I know its all about money, but they start blocking early on without payment

Old 03-29-2022, 09:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Same lesson as Facebook folks -

if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer.

You are the product for sale.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:54 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i didnt like "my hertiage," I know its all about money, but they start blocking early on without payment

You don't like specifically what about them?

Specifically, what are they blocking?

Are you talking about them for trees and information or DNA? Since this is a DNA thread, I assume that's what you're talking about.

They allow us to upload our DNA and as many kits as we want to our tree. I currently have one tree on a free account, I have uploaded my DNA, my 2 kids, their two grandmothers, my fathers brother, my first cousin and my two grand kids to my one tree. I have full DNA tools because I uploaded all but two before their cut off date in 2018, then I reuploaded the last two kits during this free full tools week.

Before reuploading, my two kits only showed direct DNA matches and on the main landing page, I could see how many matches I had in each country, I was also able to click on them to see them. If I wanted ethnicity, being able to see shared matches, their trees and common surnames, along with the "advanced DNA tools" they wanted $29 to unlock it which was not unreasonable. FTDNA does the same, except they charge $19, but they do not have all of the features My Heritage has.

My Heritage is a gold mine for people like me who's parents were immigrants, to be able to see DNA matches all over the country.

With a free account, they only allow 250 people per family tree. You also can not see record sources just like at ancestry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Same lesson as Facebook folks -

if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer.

You are the product for sale.

They are not selling "us', they are using our free, uploaded DNA to be able to match other people and grow their database.

With Ancestry DNA costing $59 on sale and 23 and me $150 on sale, uploading free and paying $29 to unlock is a great deal.

I personally do not care they're using my uploads to increase the size of their database. I've been with them from day one. I am also part of their founders project, so my DNA is part of their founding ethnic DNA database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy