Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 06:55 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times

Advertisements

https://blog.23andme.com/lemonaid-he...collaboration/
23andMe is growing! Great! Not. There is no real way to opt out of having your prescriptions entered into the one huge national database, so I'll presume 23andMe will have access to that info as well. I guess I might as well buy 23andMe's stock, while it's still cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 07:25 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
What am I missing? What does telehealth have to do with entering your prescriptions into some sort of national health base?

Old 03-09-2022, 04:56 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What am I missing? What does telehealth have to do with entering your prescriptions into some sort of national health base?
" A new collaboration between Walgreens and telehealth and pharmacy company Lemonaid Health seeks to change that."
Walgreens, all prescriptions entered into a national database called Surescripts.
https://surescripts.com/news-center/...ss-report-2020

Long explanation: feel free to skip

I learned of SureScripts about 5 years ago when I discovered that a medication I had filled at CVS appeared on my medical record at Johns Hopkins. No one at Johns Hopkins had ever prescribed this medicine. IIRC, it was Diltiazem, a medication that is prescribed for hypertension. I have never had hypertension. Mine was prescribed off label to be used in the winter because of Raynaud's Syndrome. Of course, the record now suggested I had hypertension.

I spoke with the CVS pharmacist and she tried, but could not figure out how my prescription ended up on my chart. She was certain CVS did not violate my privacy. Oops. After a lot of research, I discovered Surescripts and found that CVS (one owner of Surescripts among many, including several insurance companies) had entered the prescription in Surescripts and that Johns Hopkins was also connected to Surescripts. So the electronic record went out to all providers connected to Surescript.

I also spoke with the Johns Hopkins Privacy Officer for about an hour. From a legal perspective, it was crazy. A Hopkins patient cannot opt out of Surescripts. By signing the multipage consent form that Hopkins uses for outpatient care, one consents to the release of information to Surescripts. Nevertheless, when the time came for an annual update to the consent form, I crossed out the Surescript paragraph and initialed it.

And then there is EPIC, a national electronic health records database.

23andme, through their purchase of Lemonaid Health and in collaboration with Walgreens, should now have access to SureScripts and EPIC. DNA +Surescripts+EPOCH, what could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-11-2022, 05:39 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
" A new collaboration between Walgreens and telehealth and pharmacy company Lemonaid Health seeks to change that."
Walgreens, all prescriptions entered into a national database called Surescripts.
https://surescripts.com/news-center/...ss-report-2020

Long explanation: feel free to skip

I learned of SureScripts about 5 years ago when I discovered that a medication I had filled at CVS appeared on my medical record at Johns Hopkins. No one at Johns Hopkins had ever prescribed this medicine. IIRC, it was Diltiazem, a medication that is prescribed for hypertension. I have never had hypertension. Mine was prescribed off label to be used in the winter because of Raynaud's Syndrome. Of course, the record now suggested I had hypertension.

I spoke with the CVS pharmacist and she tried, but could not figure out how my prescription ended up on my chart. She was certain CVS did not violate my privacy. Oops. After a lot of research, I discovered Surescripts and found that CVS (one owner of Surescripts among many, including several insurance companies) had entered the prescription in Surescripts and that Johns Hopkins was also connected to Surescripts. So the electronic record went out to all providers connected to Surescript.

I also spoke with the Johns Hopkins Privacy Officer for about an hour. From a legal perspective, it was crazy. A Hopkins patient cannot opt out of Surescripts. By signing the multipage consent form that Hopkins uses for outpatient care, one consents to the release of information to Surescripts. Nevertheless, when the time came for an annual update to the consent form, I crossed out the Surescript paragraph and initialed it.

And then there is EPIC, a national electronic health records database.

23andme, through their purchase of Lemonaid Health and in collaboration with Walgreens, should now have access to SureScripts and EPIC. DNA +Surescripts+EPOCH, what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks for posting. I'm not surprised to hear they're interested in prescriptions. It should be illegal what some companies are doing merging with others not related to their specified field. 23 and me is in it for money with medications. I opted out with the DNA test. Don't want them making money on my health

FWIW, I bet all prescriptions will be in a national database at some point, just like the narcotics registry they have. Big brother has been watching.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:09 AM

I just posted in my 23 and me DNA tree thread, wanted to bring it here too.

I'll be surprised if 23 and me didn't do these DNA trees to get people to do them like I did, then they're using the health tests to track various relatives together. It would make a lot of sense in their bigger pharmacy and medical quest. Now they bought out that lemonaide/Walgreens business.

Trimming the Family Tree, A New Method for Creating Large Human Pedigrees

Quote:
Researchers at 23andMe recently created a new method for inferring large human pedigrees much faster and more accurately than previous methods. Speeding a process that might take hours to a few seconds. Published in the American Journal of Human Genetics, this new method, dubbed Bonsai, uses a new algorithm to build very large pedigrees. These new methods can quickly and efficiently assemble small pedigrees into a larger family tree that shows degrees of separation between individuals.

With New Walgreens-Lemonaid Collaboration, Personalized Telehealth is Just a Click Away

Quote:

For many patients, the process of finding quality, personalized telehealth can be arduous and unnecessarily complicated.

A new collaboration between Walgreens and telehealth and pharmacy company Lemonaid Health seeks to change that.

Lemonaid has joined Walgreens Find Care, a digital health platform that connects customers to a network of local and national health providers and services.

Under the agreement, Lemonaid will offer a breadth of telehealth offerings in categories like women’s health, men’s health, general health, skin, testing, and more.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just posted in my 23 and me DNA tree thread, wanted to bring it here too.

I'll be surprised if 23 and me didn't do these DNA trees to get people to do them like I did, then they're using the health tests to track various relatives together. It would make a lot of sense in their bigger pharmacy and medical quest. Now they bought out that lemonaide/Walgreens business.

With New Walgreens-Lemonaid Collaboration, Personalized Telehealth is Just a Click Away

Did not realize you had to be logged in to read my links, here are working links from their blogs about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy